Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2008 10:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On HKD kicks:

Some instructors will say snap the kick, some will say pull it completely back after delivering the kick so that the leg can't be trapped, some will say twist the hip and commit. blah blah blah blah.... If such a small percentage of HKD schools actually spar how the hell can they vet what technique is better? It all comes down to the instructor. Spar with him/her and use your common sense. It's all you have. If all you feel is wind when someone kicks you... move on.

On lame students:

It sucks to train in schools where everyone is out of shape and ***** footing around and the fat ass instructor thinks a 10 minute stretch is a warmup. Yada yada yada. This kind of school will not get you in shape and will not attract a student base that wants to train hard. If that's a problem for you leave. No heavy breathing? No sore legs? No bruises? No drop in body fat? No gain in flexibility? No one gets injured when training? Move on.

On black belts who suck:

If you kick a black belts ass as a white belt find a different school because he/she has nothing to teach you. If you find yourself going from school to school with the same result then you are a defacto expert in that martial art and you can now... move on.

On Hapkido is the jack of all trades:

As in all things this breeds mediocrity or worse. At my old hapkido school they now import a BJJ brown belt from a pretty good school to do teach BJJ on the weekends.... That's cool but it's also half assed. So if half assed isn't getting the results you want... move on.

Hapkido is a problematic martial art. The ratio of good to bad Hapkido is high. Knowing what I know now I would not bet my money on Hapkido. If you're happy with the school you're in stick with it. If you find yourself growing out of it or having doubts... move on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2014 7:36pm

Style: Hapkido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I question any HKD that is essentially TKD.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/14/2014 6:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did HKD for a few years in Jr. High. The school called it Hapkiyudo. They taught TKD, Yoga, Taichi, and Yudo(essentially Judo) also. Students trained and gained rank in HKD, TKD, and yudo independent of each other, though I think that the Yudo/HKD were paid as one. The school participated in local Judo and TKD(wtf I think; I remember no head punches allowed :() competitions. I didn't leave because I didn't like it, just because I couldn't afford it anymore, and it was a ways to drive(and me too young to drive). It was a pretty open environment, with all sorts of people. The TKD blackbelts were really coordinated with their legs and thought their striking was good for 'faraway' fighting. I still tend not to throw kicks when I'm close enough to punch(but I do have good power and tech. w/kicks). They were really bad vs. body punches though. Anyway, at the time I was skeptical about the benefits of grappling, so due to my lack of enthusiasm, the only rolling that I got really good at was falling properly. On to the HKD. The HKD I trained had its own kicks. Also, a number of 2-man hyung for weapons defense involving wrist locks or a sort of snap-drag movement. We did this very odd kind of circular arm movement walking drills(like karate kid 'wax off' style) too. I think it might have drifted over from the taichi class. All-in-all, the classes were fitness/sports style with self defense seeming like an afterthought. Then, I don't know know the instructor's intentions, nor am I particularly extra savvy(at least I hope not given the environment is a ma forum) in the subtleties of tma training methods.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910