Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 8:57am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I have sparred a friend of mine kickboxing rules and been kept at bay by sidekicks as described here. I outweighed him by 30 pounds at the time and have a considerable height advantage as well. I prefer to fight with boxing techniques, even in kickboxing rules, and so I was trying to maintain a shorter range in order to land heavy jabs followed by hooks and uppercuts, but most of the time stepping in I ended up eating a sidekick to the ribs.

Some successful techniques to counter it included stepping in with a push kick (and punching while your foot is setting down, whether it lands or not), or stepping in by sliding forward off the back foot while keeping the lead knee ready to raise up to parry the kick. Stepping in in a circular fashion also enjoyed modest success (my footwork is a bit ponderous), particularly if I could step in while slipping forward and to the right, jabbing with my right hand.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:18am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boby, you really aren't getting it. First of all san shou is not MMA. Second of all my point wasn't so much the rules you spared under protected you as the rules your opponent was used to would have limited his exposure to sidekicks.

Saying that your MMA friend is open to sidekicks is entirely different than saying that sidekicks are great in MMA.

:)

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say that...I wouldn't throw a sidekick in mma. The thread was supposed to be
    "me vs mma guy (I fucked up and made it plural, couldn't change after). It was about a great day of sparring I had. He isn't the only mma fighter sparring, I've seen or sparred with the elbows out, or having trouble with them...just the most blatant example that I could speak of from personal experience.

In fairness to him, we were only doing hands and feet...and he'd spent months training in mma, for his fight (which he won by submission) so his arms are a little far apart sometimes, with the elbows slightly out...I only do kickboxing..so I was in my element.
    here's the end of the original post. I'm sneaky but not stupid, mma isn't san shou. Sorry to have confused you.
    He was trying to catch them, or parry, or block, or come around, anything...it was just my day in the sun (even a dog's ass, etc etc). After these big shows, which are involving constant daily prep.... I'll go back more often, including the fri/sat sparring classes. and I'm sure we'll try again.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 9:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Boby, you really aren't getting it. First of all san shou is not MMA. Second of all my point wasn't so much the rules you spared under protected you as the rules your opponent was used to would have limited his exposure to sidekicks.
    Jay trains in BJJ, mma, san shou, and I'm sure I've seen him at least once at boxing (I haven't been in ages, wrong days, and we box in the san shou classes anyway.
    In mma, I'd want to be RNC guy...because I hit hard, and guys would want to close with me. Getting the back is my best thing in grappling/wrestling. I'll grapple and kickbox at the throwdown, don't know about mma though...I have only a few classes in that, and it was a while ago. I'll grapple anyone who wants to...I'm better than my experience suggests (almost none in a gym).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:07am

Style: Depraved Indifference

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well landing good kicks and hurting him is great. Make sure you don't let it go to your head. I actually live pretty close to you in Framingham ma.
    I studied Uechi-ryu while growing up, became a high level wrestler and a drunken pissed off adult. There are lots of people out there that would probably tear me in half....It all depends on the mood and situation.
    When it comes to kicking, it's like a gift from God in a fight. When I see a kick coming, you will go down. I am not a proud man, I'll take anything I can to maintain my pretty face. lol Don't ever kick above the knee in a real fight...ever. Your balance should be considered sacred. There are a lot of BJJ fuckheads around here, you'll end up hurt.
    Abdominal kicks are very effective when they land, but like a lotto ticket you should never gamble. I am coming from a streetfighter persective, I'm sure that you'll have tons of luck in competition. My ideology is, rush (ignore any pain), seize and destroy.
    If you really are serious about being a hardass, there are good Uechi schools in the area. They are very fickle and only take serious people. You will have to fight and probably be slightly brutalized. However, those who take the path always become sucsessful in most of their endeavors. - S (a side note, they will not expect payment only your soul. lol)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:19am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You shoulda told me Boby I can change thread titles to anything I want whenever you need me to. (within strikeistan)

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll check out the local Uechi schools. I've never sidekicked anyone in the str33t...never needed to....I've mostly just wrestled people down or scared them off....I turn bright red when I'm really pissed, and shake with adrenaline, and boom my voice big time....not a pretty sight, and too much for most to deal with. It's kept me, (and them) safe for years...I fight my temper more than I fight people.

Without gloves and off the mat in a heated situation, it's a whole different thing...I grab and squeeze to scare or hurt or pull around and trip, or grab and pin/twist something so their at a funny angle in pain while screaming at them in their ear at the top of my lungs how fucked they are. Then tell them to **** off. My problem sparring is that I can't overwhelm them with sudden brutality and insane focus of intent....they're my friends. So I train to get hit, and survive punishment as part of the deal.

The harder I spar, the less restraint I need to maintain...the better I do, the less I get hit, and the focus can be there, without consideration. The training is harder than the fighting part for me.
    Thanks again Dade-Murphy for the school advice...could be fun (painful)

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    You shoulda told me Boby I can change thread titles to anything I want whenever you need me to. (within strikeistan)
    haha, you're the best, thanks....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2007 2:27am

Style: Depraved Indifference

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear ya dude. When I fight for real, I tap into my seething rage. Everything I know just goes into autopilot. I also turn bright red and just lose my ****. There is no substitute for pure rage.

Training is obviously different, but I've been much more hurt in training than an actual fight. A main component to Uechi is to be beaten until you're harder than a coffin nail. You must believe that you are literally indestructable, and you can handle anything.

I know I'm an asshole with a raging temper... but there is no better feeling of satisfaction than f@#$ing someone up bigtime. Men are defined by what they do not what they say. Break necks and melt panties, life is too short to put up with bullshit from anyone.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456