Sponsored Links Spacer Image

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to spar with a guy from my BJJ class who has a Muay Thai background, and I found that the side kick was my principle weapon.
    I find side kicks will either work really well, or not at all, depending on who I'm fighting. Also, When I can catch someone with the side kick, I can't with the front kick, and vice versa. It's one straight kick or the other.

:)

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=TheMightyMcClaw]
    I find side kicks will either work really well, or not at all, depending on who I'm fighting. [quote]

same for me

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dig up some Don "The Dragon" Wilson fights. His sidekicks were his bread and butter.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 3:25pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    Omega, may I ask? do you sidekick strong side foreward? That's the only way I can make it land with the solid thud of pain. If I use the left...I have to punch in and around it to keep the guy off me...but the right is fast/accurate enough to use as a stop kick.
    Weak side forward. The true power is from my base leg. I always consider my left side my joystick side, I can throw it without thinking about it.

*edit sometimes I'll switch if I want to get extremely defensive with it.

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 6:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuan
    Dig up some Don "The Dragon" Wilson fights. His sidekicks were his bread and butter.
    Thanks man.

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 7:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Weak side forward. The true power is from my base leg. I always consider my left side my joystick side, I can throw it without thinking about it.

*edit sometimes I'll switch if I want to get extremely defensive with it.
    interesting, I only throw it with my good leg (right), but I'm not good with the left in general...I cant even swim breaststroke, my left leg flops around...too much soccer with the as a kid I think. (an excuse, I am the clumsy ninja, and the ninja part is the joke).

but I only use it as a stop/counter kick, when I'm being extremely defensive in general...so perhaps I'm getting something right. When are you in Massachusetts, again Omega....There's a great Indian restaurant Bakkhara in Jamaica Plain...Terelle and I would love to take you and your wife there next time your in the Bean, not for a Cato style attack, but for a lovely dinner, with fresh baked nan (slow baked in a kiln), all sorts of delicious food, beer, wine, and if we happened to discuss martial arts, I doubt it would hurt anyone.

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People who get me, when I'm in a side kicking mood, and able to throw hands/feet (my teacher makes us start with some boxing rounds) usually feint as though to commit, and when my leg comes up (I try not to be flinchy..but) they rush me, lead hooks to head...or overhand right/left...lately, as I lose weight, I'm getting faster...and it's harder for guys to catch them, or exploit it....I just need more cardio...big time.

poser

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 8:11pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just returned from sparring class...I sparred an mma guy, Jay (just won a mma fight at club Lido in Revere,ma) and had the most success I've ever had with my sidekick....It was almost cartoony how many times I landed it. He's strong in the middle, so didn't go down...and I didn't snap them much. four (or five) times he got past it and got to punch/kick me, in two rounds.....the rest of the time...he'd come in, and I'd kick him in the stomach area. At the beginning of the first round, he punched me a bit, then I got into a lefty stance, with my good (right) leg in the front. I'd throw out teaser jabs, and watch for the space between his waist and underarm area, and time he'd commit to engage, and extend his arm/arms his odds of eating the kick, and having to start over were about 12-1 or worse...I wasn't counting, I have **** cardio, I was trying not to collapse from fatigue.

When I did get hit, it hurt...because he was frustrated, and loading up... still, I'd rather strike than be struck, so I kept going with the sidekicks.

Anyone else like to use many sidekicks as a counter/stop kick?....can you make them work??? what do you visualize? (I just look for the curve their torso and arms make as they punch or reach out to paw, and time the charge to have them come into my power)

In fairness to him, we were only doing hands and feet...and he'd spent months training in mma, for his fight (which he won by submission) so his arms are a little far apart sometimes, with the elbows slightly out...I only do kickboxing..so I was in my element.

who else likes feeding em sidekicks? talk to me you badasses.
    Front leg sidekicks are cool, but I think the reason you land them so much is because MMA guys tend to [rightfully] hug Bas Rutten's nuts, and Bas-san discredits sidekicks as effective, so MMA guys probably just don't train for them.

I always have trouble getting my knee up and around fast enough, though, so I need to train them some more.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 11:18pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting, I only throw it with my good leg (right), but I'm not good with the left in general...I cant even swim breaststroke, my left leg flops around...too much soccer with the as a kid I think. (an excuse, I am the clumsy ninja, and the ninja part is the joke).

but I only use it as a stop/counter kick, when I'm being extremely defensive in general...so perhaps I'm getting something right. When are you in Massachusetts, again Omega....There's a great Indian restaurant Bakkhara in Jamaica Plain...Terelle and I would love to take you and your wife there next time your in the Bean, not for a Cato style attack, but for a lovely dinner, with fresh baked nan (slow baked in a kiln), all sorts of delicious food, beer, wine, and if we happened to discuss martial arts, I doubt it would hurt anyone.

It'll proabably be in Nov. I'll be in the area but my wife doesn't like Indian food. I'm game for anything though.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 11:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by conceited
    Hey bobyclumsyninja sorry to stink up your thread but I found something pretty interesting about The Brand... HE KNOWS Omega is a kung fu pro. Read this, infact its why he came here so thats pretty weird. :tongue5:

Aside, I get lit up with side kicks. I've been working on my scooping quite abit lately but I also find that just using lateral movement and stepping offline abit I can avoid them easier. But I'm coming under the impression that using the latter technique is more of a crutch then a solution.
    I wonder if he thinks I'm snobby because I'm a fighter refusing to answer his question. The way he ask the question is just assenine though.

"Hi....do you know anybody who does kung-fu or wing chung or Tai chi?"

**** that's like saying "Do you drive a Toyota or a Prius?"

Maybe he didn't know the differance but it's a bit bold of him to ask me to go **** my mother. Ah well...I'm off to put some ice on my head from blocking with it all day.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast