Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 11:44pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll tell you this just as it was told to me by a bjj blackbelt. Any self respecting, legit blackbelt will have his instructors name and his lineage out in plain site. If for some reason it remain hidden or is kept a secret, then that is all the reason I need to question someone. That me though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 12:45am

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCell

Kayroc - dont be a bitch, if you want to tell me to go **** myself do it to my face not over the internet. Cussing at someone over the internet isn't something a man does.
    Oh, did I hurt your feelings? ****. You. Yes, its the internet, and I shall use what language as I see fit towards people like you who BS about their training. I not trying to be some keyboard warrior, I have said the same equally harsh things to other guys I have met and rolled with who were full of **** about their training. And I would have no big problem saying it to you. Stop the bullshit, train somewhere legit, or stop saying you train BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 2:08am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread reaks of bullshido and trollshit. Who are these students that are posting? Are they for real? Can somebody close please go check this place out? Even if you're just a white belt that has at least trained with a legitimate instructor, your opinion on this matter would still be valid.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 9:20am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iGrapple
    I would just like to ask any of you guys. If a man holds a black belt in one art and a blue, purple, or brown in say BJJ, but when he is teaching BJJ he wears his black belt from the other art, is that bad, to me as long as the person is honest about his ranking "if you ask" it's OK. We just had a GFAB guy join the class he showed up wearing a white belt in BJJ, he was invited to Friday night sparring and he was wearing a blue belt, so I asked how did you go from white to blue in just two days, he replied it was his Kimpo belt, but we were training BJJ and he knew it, so does that make him a bad person. Another thing I would like ya'll to think about, if a person trains hard and correct and gets a blue belt from Royce Gracie and then over the next 5 to 6 years refining those techniques, I wonder what Mr. Gracie would promote him to then. And would like to add that we do have a Friday night sparring and any one in the area are more than welcome to roll with us, our friday night sounds alot like the TD's in Austin, it's about getting better, not competition. That's my two cents.
    I am a blue belt in bjj, I hold a brown belt in judo. We have a judo program at the club where I train, I and a black belt teach it. He teaches the saturday class, I teach the thursday night class and the saturdays when he can't make it.

Thursday's judo class it directly after a bjj condishining class. Its a very rough class focused on hard cardio workouts and drills. Usually you don't want to walk after this class, let alone do judo. One time I had finisehd that class and was starting judo and the bjj isntructor was still in the room. I was tired and did not feel like going out to the lockers to get my brown belt. He stopped me and told me I need to go put on my brown belt. To me it didn't matter. I just wanted to get started. But to him it was very important I represent the art properly.

We also have a bjj class after the judo class on saturday. Most of the time that is our no-gi class. But some days everyone wants to work gi and we just do a normal gi class. You will see people taking off white belts and putting on blue belts, and one of our purple belt takes off his brown belt and puts on his purple belt. If I tried to wear my brown belt for that bjj class I would quickly find myself on the wrong end of a purple belts knee bar.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 10:24am

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Baker does not give out belts. The BB at the school does.
    Name and lineage please.

If he wants to setup a belt system for his school let him. Who cares?
    Nobody cares. It's when you misrepresent yourself as a black belt in an already existing system and start promoting people in that system that people care. And in the case off BJJ, they care a lot.

I dont see the issue with a Blue belt teaching a class.
    There is no issue if all of the students know he is a blue belt and he doesn't do silly things like promote people, which no blue belt should be doing. Oh yeah, and he wears a blue belt while he teaches.

My last instructor was a blue belt when he first began teaching me. We do have a black belt in BJJ at our school, and a brown belt, few purple belts, and a few blues.
    Who awarded them these belts? If it was Mr Baker then they are not legit.

Bottom line you can come down and try it out and you won't have an issue after you see the instruction.
    I've seen the instruction, and I had/have an issue. That's why we're all here.

Quote Originally Posted by scanz
    I am a complete newb of BJJ and have admitedly never studied it. I've taken great interest in this whole conversation. Just wondering, is it possible, given the nature of Baker's school that he has a legit BJJ guy teaching BJJ even though it's his school? He offers a bunch of different styles at his school and I wonder if he has different lead instructors at each, while he helps out? I know at my school, the lead instructor is more of a stand-up guy, though he does know submission wrestling. Even though he runs the school and teaches in the wrestling class, he has another guy really teaching the wrestling as the "expert". Is it possible this is the case at Bakers, or is BJJ just not taught in that manner?

Thanks for the good read.
    Sure it's possible. Lots of schools do this. I'm just not sure that's what is happening. When I went there ~2 years ago it was a one man show. Mr Baker taught all of the classes. He wore a BB during class when he was not one and had blue belt students that he had promoted himself.

Has that changed? Dunno. If so I would like one of Mr Baker's students to bring forth the name of the BB that now teaches at Baker's. If he in fact does have a legit BB teaching BJJ then we can [/thread]. My gut tells me that this is not the case though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 10:36am

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I am a blue belt in bjj, I hold a brown belt in judo. We have a judo program at the club where I train, I and a black belt teach it. He teaches the saturday class, I teach the thursday night class and the saturdays when he can't make it.

Thursday's judo class it directly after a bjj condishining class. Its a very rough class focused on hard cardio workouts and drills. Usually you don't want to walk after this class, let alone do judo. One time I had finisehd that class and was starting judo and the bjj isntructor was still in the room. I was tired and did not feel like going out to the lockers to get my brown belt. He stopped me and told me I need to go put on my brown belt. To me it didn't matter. I just wanted to get started. But to him it was very important I represent the art properly.

We also have a bjj class after the judo class on saturday. Most of the time that is our no-gi class. But some days everyone wants to work gi and we just do a normal gi class. You will see people taking off white belts and putting on blue belts, and one of our purple belt takes off his brown belt and puts on his purple belt. If I tried to wear my brown belt for that bjj class I would quickly find myself on the wrong end of a purple belts knee bar.
    The school I train at is owned by a Kempo BB who also has a blue belt in BJJ. The BJJ classes are taught by a BB who comes from a different school. When he's not there the blue belt owner, who is the highest ranked student, takes over class. The Kempo class is directly before the BJJ class. In the ~year that I've been training there he has never once failed to remove his BB and put on his blue before BJJ class starts, regardless of whether the BB instructor is there or not. This is as it should be, and I have a feeling that if he were to do any different he would be dumped out of the affiliation program he is a member of quickly. Such shenanigans are not taken lightly.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 10:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think even the worst case scenario of ABSOLUTELY not having your belt available (it magically imploded/your dog ate it/someone stole it out of your bag) could be remedied by taking your *insert other MA* BB OFF and rolling without one on. God knows that while not idea, it's certainly doable and better than the alternative of potentially misleading someone about your knowledge and ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    8/09/2009 7:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is a Mcdojo? Does that mean that a martial arts dojo is a fake because I've trained at Baker's Martial Arts before, and he is the real deal. He's a great instructor who is skilled in BJJ. I don't know why people talk so much crap. We have destroyed the competition at every tournament we have gone to. I have a question for an individual called Necroth. If you are from Abilene your just upset that the Baker's Martial Arts team mopped the floor with the abilene fighters. If you think this school is a fraud you should come down and spar with us and we will show you that we are a dominant and superior martial arts dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please read the stickies and post in newbie town first. Also, if you are going to necro a thread please make sure you add something substantial other than a chest puffing routine. This is most likely the nicest that you will hear that.

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Magician View Post
    What is a Mcdojo? Does that mean that a martial arts dojo is a fake because I've trained at Baker's Martial Arts before, and he is the real deal. He's a great instructor who is skilled in BJJ. I don't know why people talk so much crap. We have destroyed the competition at every tournament we have gone to. I have a question for an individual called Necroth. If you are from Abilene your just upset that the Baker's Martial Arts team mopped the floor with the abilene fighters. If you think this school is a fraud you should come down and spar with us and we will show you that we are a dominant and superior martial arts dojo.
    It would do well to your cause if you posted tournament links and results that showed your school doing well.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast