Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 2:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now we are on the same page. I'm not calling you a liar, I actually believe what you are saying.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 3:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcell
    It sounds like he is awarding "MMA belts" and then allowing the students to wear said belt during BJJ.

My instructor has been doing BJJ for 13 years and is a brown belt; I am pretty sure he would think not to highly of such a practise.
    That would totally irk the crap out of me too. Part of this is about the declining standards and possibly those of us who took our beatings for a year or two to get a blue being annoyed at the way he got his. And on top of that, that he may be teaching and worse with what could even be mid-level whitebelt skills. Hopefully there's a better explanation, and hopefully the guy will show up to answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustardo
    Notice how his students come on here, say "raa raa my school is great" but won't answer this simple question?
    Sho nuff! Yeah, it says a lot. I hope his students will at least pony up and answer this one straight. Hey guys? We're not evil outsiders trying to bash your school for no reason. We're people who train and are worried about the integrity of out art and that *you* may not be getting what you should be out of your own training. Help us out. Really think about our questions, and give us an honest answer. It'll help us and you.

I wish I lived close enough to go roll there. That would pretty much settle the debate in my mind.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 8/18/2008 3:24pm at .
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 3:36pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCell

In the school we have BJJ belts ranging from white to black. So It's not just a bunch of unexperienced people, these are guys who have been training for a long period of time and are happy with Mr. Baker. What im saying is it's not a bunch of students who don't know any better.
    Okay, please name the BJJ Black Belts that train there.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 3:39pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't trained within Royce's system for about a decade, but when I was, Royce awarded all of the blue belts, and blue belts stripes himself at seminars and training camps. I have to ask.

1) How many stripes on his blue belt does Mr. Baker have.

2) Does he award blue belts, or any other BJJ ranks himself?

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 3:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is in that area and can pay a visit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 5:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Kenpo, U.S. Army H2H

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno
    I think you are lying. You live in a town of 90,000 and you have a sports store that sells BJJ gis? Thats funny, cause I live in Providence, a CITY of 175,000 and I need to get them through my instructor or the interwebz. And even if I search in Boston, the only stores that sell BJJ gis are those located within training schools. So mind telling me exactly what the name of the store is that you got your gi?

As for the belt comments you made, let me explain to you, since you don't know what you are talking about, or you are just lying to make your school look better. Wearing a belt from another training system would be like getting an A in Science, and therefore expecting that you don't have to do your homework in English. Nobody does that who comes from a RESPECTABLE school, and if your school IS in fact doing that, well suspicion in my mind has just gone up 100%. Expect to be investigated.

When did I ever say gis. I said equipment. You can go down to Academy Sports and get martial arts equipment. So maybe you need to read a little closer before you run off at the mouth. Obviously you don't know what you talking about. If you read what I wrote I said I do not wear a blue belt at Jiujitsu class, I do wear my Kenpo Belt for sparring and whats the issue with that? I've trained Jiujitsu and Kenpo for 2 years plus a few other MA's for around a year at a legit school, Baker's too is a legit school, if I didnt get good instruction there I wouldn't waste my money.

Kayroc - dont be a bitch, if you want to tell me to go **** myself do it to my face not over the internet. Cussing at someone over the internet isn't something a man does.

Mr. Baker does not give out belts. The BB at the school does.

If he wants to setup a belt system for his school let him. Who cares?

I dont see the issue with a Blue belt teaching a class. My last instructor was a blue belt when he first began teaching me. We do have a black belt in BJJ at our school, and a brown belt, few purple belts, and a few blues. Bottom line you can come down and try it out and you won't have an issue after you see the instruction.
    Last edited by DeadCell; 9/04/2008 5:51pm at .

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 5:49pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When did I ever say gis. I said equipment. You can go down to Academy Sports and get martial arts equipment. So maybe you need to read a little closer before you run off at the mouth.

Kayroc - dont be a bitch, if you want to tell me to go **** myself do it to my face not over the internet. Cussing at someone over the internet isn't something a man does.

Mr. Baker does not give out belts. The BB at the school does.

I do wear a white belt to do jiujitsu. Always have. If he wants to setup a belt system for his school let him. Who cares?

I dont see the issue with a Blue belt teaching a class. My last instructor was a blue belt when he first began teaching me. We do have a black belt in BJJ at our school, and a brown belt, few purple belts, and a few blues. Bottom line you can come down and try it out and you won't have an issue after you see the instruction.
    You keep saying you have a black blet in BJJ at your school, but you keep failing to name WHO that is. Why is that?

Don't be a bitch yourself; answer the question.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 9:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was not made to buy a gi or any equipment from Mr. Baker. He actually recommended that I go to a local sports store because their prices were better. I was put on a contract that suited me as my time here is limited.
    Yes, you did say gi. You ALSO said equipment. You are lying. And who is your BJJ black belt? Who is your brown, purple? I don't believe you. And neither does anyone else. I'll tell you that to your face any time you like. And I bet 10 dollars that you cannot prove a valid Black Belt, Brown Belt, or Purple Belt with valid lineage trains there.

Also, can anyone else think of an example in ANY martial art where the second level belt/rank hands out belts/ranks when there is a top tier belt/rank teaching on hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 11:32pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DeadCell,

I'm gonna try and find a nice way to say this. Na, **** it, I'm gonna be a dick. If you are really thinking that the guys running around wearing blackbelt are bjj blackbelts, my friend I can't tell you how wrong you are. I drive from Shreveport , LA to Dallas to train with the world famous Carlos Machado and the most blackbelt that have ever been there at one time was 3.

Hey man if ya'll have that much talent walking around then maybe we should all come over there and set up like a little smoker matches between the guys on the forum and people at Baker's school? How does that sound to everyone else?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/04/2008 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a complete newb of BJJ and have admitedly never studied it. I've taken great interest in this whole conversation. Just wondering, is it possible, given the nature of Baker's school that he has a legit BJJ guy teaching BJJ even though it's his school? He offers a bunch of different styles at his school and I wonder if he has different lead instructors at each, while he helps out? I know at my school, the lead instructor is more of a stand-up guy, though he does know submission wrestling. Even though he runs the school and teaches in the wrestling class, he has another guy really teaching the wrestling as the "expert". Is it possible this is the case at Bakers, or is BJJ just not taught in that manner?

Thanks for the good read.
    Last edited by scanz; 9/04/2008 11:40pm at .
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast