Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 6:59am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the guy put on a BJJ gi with some other kind of belt to teach a BJJ class? How can you have belts in MMA when you fight in boardshorts and rashguards? Where does the belt go?

I hope someone in the area will stop and check this guy out, start a proper investigation and all that, because suspicions have definitely been aroused.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:06am

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    That's what the school review section is for, it is based on your opinion.
    With all due respect, I believe that this is the appropriate forum for this debate since, as I stated in my original post, I have largely confined myself to discussing facts regarding the school in question. The fact that I don't have photographic evidence of Mr Baker teaching BJJ wearing a black belt doesn't invalidate my claim that he does so. In fact, the statements from his own students in this thread would appear to support my accusation regarding this matter.

If an instructor is falsley claiming to be a black belt (even by tacit implication) and promoting students in BJJ improperly doesn't belong in MABS, then I not sure what does.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCell
    I was not made to buy a gi or any equipment from Mr. Baker. He actually recommended that I go to a local sports store because their prices were better. I was put on a contract that suited me as my time here is limited.
    I think you are lying. You live in a town of 90,000 and you have a sports store that sells BJJ gis? Thats funny, cause I live in Providence, a CITY of 175,000 and I need to get them through my instructor or the interwebz. And even if I search in Boston, the only stores that sell BJJ gis are those located within training schools. So mind telling me exactly what the name of the store is that you got your gi?

As for the belt comments you made, let me explain to you, since you don't know what you are talking about, or you are just lying to make your school look better. Wearing a belt from another training system would be like getting an A in Science, and therefore expecting that you don't have to do your homework in English. Nobody does that who comes from a RESPECTABLE school, and if your school IS in fact doing that, well suspicion in my mind has just gone up 100%. Expect to be investigated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:31am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, does anyone else think this is starting to smell like Chris Van Valkenberg all over again? (Did I get that guy's name right?)
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 7:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zookrider
    With all due respect, I believe that this is the appropriate forum for this debate since, as I stated in my original post, I have largely confined myself to discussing facts regarding the school in question. The fact that I don't have photographic evidence of Mr Baker teaching BJJ wearing a black belt doesn't invalidate my claim that he does so. In fact, the statements from his own students in this thread would appear to support my accusation regarding this matter.

If an instructor is falsley claiming to be a black belt (even by tacit implication) and promoting students in BJJ improperly doesn't belong in MABS, then I not sure what does.
    Well your point of the students confirming is well taken, but the fact that there are all these new accounts commenting on it does make it hard to discern real students from trolls. The question is, if you care enough about this guy's practices to alert Bullshido.net, shouldn't you care enough to expose that potential BS further? What I'm saying is, if you can't provide pictures or material evidence, what can you do to help move this along? Or are you satisfied with passively sitting by and letting your accusation stand in a vacuum, where it could be more easily ignored?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zookrider
    Which still makes it your opinion since, you haven't trained there in over a year correct?

I agree as does everyone but his students. Again, you are making claims that are partially disputed. Royce hands out blues like the Ice Cream man. This guy does seem to stink. Oh and yes we need hard facts in MABS. As much as people hate the rest of bullshido, that is what makes some of the investigations top notch. The tangible facts. I know that seems hard to grasp for many people, not just you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:14am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    Awarded by who? That's the crux of the whole debate. Is Baker awarding bjj belts?
    Notice how his students come on here, say "raa raa my school is great" but won't answer this simple question?

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course he is. Who teaches BJJ and then says "... but I won't be awarding belts." To do or imply that would be undermining his own authority. If you teach BJJ, you award belts. We know he is teaching it because it's on his website. The question is: How good is he, what rank does he present himself as in class, and who gave him said rank.

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 8:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somebody has to take his class. Who is in the area that can stop by?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2008 9:53am

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Which still makes it your opinion since, you haven't trained there in over a year correct?

I agree as does everyone but his students. Again, you are making claims that are partially disputed. Royce hands out blues like the Ice Cream man. This guy does seem to stink. Oh and yes we need hard facts in MABS. As much as people hate the rest of bullshido, that is what makes some of the investigations top notch. The tangible facts. I know that seems hard to grasp for many people, not just you.
    You have a valid point. The problem however lies here. When I started this thread, I still lived in San Angelo. At that time it would have been easy for me to provide any of the requested proof. It got almost zero attention then and therefore essentially died. It was necro-ed a few days ago by a student at Baker's who took exception to my accusations. Now I'm placed in the uncomfortable position of defending those accusations from 1500 miles away.

I have a perfectly firm grasp on the need for hard facts in MABS. What I don't have is the ability to provide those facts from my present location. That does not however mean that I am willing to let my observations be discounted. Especially in light of the comments that Mr Baker's own students have made which would strongly appear to confirm what I have said.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast