Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/10/2009 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha Magician View Post
    What is a Mcdojo? Does that mean that a martial arts dojo is a fake because I've trained at Baker's Martial Arts before, and he is the real deal. He's a great instructor who is skilled in BJJ. I don't know why people talk so much crap. We have destroyed the competition at every tournament we have gone to. I have a question for an individual called Necroth. If you are from Abilene your just upset that the Baker's Martial Arts team mopped the floor with the abilene fighters. If you think this school is a fraud you should come down and spar with us and we will show you that we are a dominant and superior martial arts dojo.
    Is there a color belt that coordinates with "skilled in BJJ"? Because I know white belts who are skilled in BJJ. Does that mean they should also run a class?

Hint: no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    9/09/2009 11:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, boxing, wrestl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to live in San Angelo, and when I first moved there to go to school I looked for a gym to train at. I have been doing martial arts since I was seven (boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai and recently BJJ) in San Antonio. San Angelo is a TKD-saturated town. Not even good TKD, but 4-year-old black belt, Lil' Dragons, ATA-type crap. I saw a commerical (yes, a commerical!) on TV for Baker's martial arts featuring Jacare (yes, Jacare!) standing in an opponent's guard and pulling off a rolling toehold in a tournament. There was NO mention whatsoever that this was stock touney footage - just mention of Baker's McDojo. Someone who doesn't know any better (and San Angelo is a hickoid town full of people who wouldn't recognize Jacare) would assume that the person in the commercial is one of Baker's BJJ students. Baker had another commerical earlier that showed his aikido/FMA stuff. Being desperate to find a place to train Muay Thai/BJJ (Baker probably is also "certified" to teach MT, too!), I e-mailed him. I'll search my inbox and see if I can find the e-mail and give y'all the address (at least the one that worked back then!)

Anyway, in the e-mail he told me he was "certified" in all these arts, but that he no longer teached TKD (which I never asked about) and instead teaches his own style called "Yuzudo." I replied asking him about making up his own style and he responded that Bruce Lee made up JKD, Helio Graice made up BJJ, etc. so why can't he. Pretty bold move to put yourself in that company, I thought, but whatever, I'll drop by and speak to him in person.

He was friendly enough, but his students were tough-guy posers who thought they were something. I asked to observe his "MMA class" and he offered to let me participate. We did some stand-up sparring and his students were doing TKD-style roundhouses to my leg, the snapping kind. They stung, but didn't do anything. When I did a proper Muay Thai-style round kick to my partner, he limped away from the charlie horse and Baker told me I did the kick wrong. I'm supposed to "snap" my kick or else I could hurt someone. Um, OK, isn't that the point? Not to hurt as in injure but for the kick to be effective? We worked on clinch too, and they teach to cup your hands around the back of the neck, not the crown. Hello? Muay Thai clinch 101!!! Then it was on to no-gi grappling.

I was honestly appalled at the grappling. Only having wrestled in high school and picked up a couple of subs here and there, I tapped Baker's two "senior" students (who were wearing blue belts ostensibly awarded by Baker) with a basic front choke and an armber. These "senior" students bent forward at the waist for a double leg and when I sprawled, they just kind of stayed under me, not sure where to go from there. I've seen 5-year-olds do cleaner doubles. When I tried to correct their double legs, Baker got defensive.

The rest of the class was lackluster and at the end I was also offered a 12-month contract. I totally agree with the poster who speculated that this was a "scare away" tactic. Needless to say it worked. Not because I was scared but because there was no way in hell I was doing MMA there.

I no longer live in San Angelo, but I make trips there now and then to visit friends. I could drop by again. It has been some time ago so maybe he has forgotten me. I have to say though, I have heard good things about his FMA, but that's it.

As for his wearing a BJJ BB. He wore a BJJ gi and a BB to the MMA class, but didn't say it was for BJJ. He said he had taught a TKD class and didn't bother changing so I got that line too.

Baker can get away with this because of the kind of place San Angelo is. It's very isolated and it's not every day that someone with a decade of Muay Thai comes along. I'll bet the only BJJ guys are ones who come through GAFB. That said, Baker can sell his school and no one in San Angelo will know the difference or come along and contest them.

Maybe someone should give Jacare a call.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 10:35pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla View Post
    Don't laugh! There's a local (Seattle -- local to both of us if you're in Redmond) Aikido instructor who is also a legit BJJ brown belt.

How embarassing would it be to be talking **** about Aikido and then get submitted by said instructor???

On the other hand, it would be pretty awesome to watch ****-talkin-joe-BJJ-wannabe get his ass kicked by an aikido guy who is also a 'closet' BJJ brown belt...
    I study Aikijutsu in the Seattle area. Who's this Aikido instructor with the BJJ brown belt? Is it that Aikido place in downtown Redmond?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2009 12:31pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I study Aikijutsu in the Seattle area. Who's this Aikido instructor with the BJJ brown belt? Is it that Aikido place in downtown Redmond?
    Bruce Bookman at Tenzan Aikido here in Seattle. He got his Brown from a local Gracie Barra Black Belt and teaches BJJ classes at his school as well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2009 12:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Is there a color belt that coordinates with "skilled in BJJ"? Because I know white belts who are skilled in BJJ. Does that mean they should also run a class?

Hint: no.
    I am a third degree black belt in Pankration, the poor green and brown belt in Judo class did not appreciate being pinned in under 12 seconds each by a white belt. The brown belt continues to avoid rolling with me during a class.
    But to answer your question, maybe, if a black belt in a similiar art, say Judo, were to teach some take downs, throws, and how to fall properly in class, then yes. But as a blanket statement, NO. They wouldn't actually be teaching more than a portion of the BJJ curriculum. Kenpo is not similiar enough to BJJ in any case unless they were specifically taught some BJJ in a Kenpo class which is very possible in todays world. Heck I was taught some BJJ and how to fall properly (from Judo) in a TKD class of all things, ROFL.

Posted On:
    9/23/2009 2:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Baker BSJJ !!!!

Ok im gonna take it from the top here fellas, bakers school is a prime example of what a mcdojo is in america.... he takes advantage of the locals not knowing what authentic bjj is. I was stationed in san angelo for a few months doing some training and a Airforce buddy of mine actually made the mistake of training there. 1st off, he wears a BB while teaching his mma and bjj class.( has never been awarded a BB in bjj) if u go on his website he says on there that he has trained with a million ppl , dropping names left and right ( which he also did on occasion in class like he was gonna impress someone), yet it never says if he was ever awarded his BB and by whom ?! A little odd dont u think ???? now everyone that has trained real BJJ knows that lineage is everything , its thr badge off honor, right ? His techniques wr usually off by a step or 2 or were faulty alltogether missing a vital detail and he would often teach japanese jj techniques or stuff i know he saw on the internet and say it was his, that he came up with it, sometimes i wud just shake my head at the crap he was teaching these poor small town folk in san angelo that dont know any better....but wait it gets better ! He actaully tried to pass a decree almost in his school, listen to what he was forbiding:
    1- No one in the school can meet elswhere together to train
    2- No one from that school can teach anyone out side the school
    ( a friend or relative or whatever)
    3- you cudnt train at any other martial arts schools whats so ever.
    4- and you cudnt show anyone anything in side the school that you saw anywhere else ex/ internet , books, tournament (god forbid it was another dojo) lmao !!!!!
    Not only that he went as far as to hook up with a lawyer to put 2gether some non discolsure agreements he was gonna have everyone sign, like that was gonna go far !!! you believe this guy ????? oh yeah he didnt want anyone teaching his baker death touch outside the dojo, what a clown......even his students whr sub par wanna bees, i rolled with some of his students and let me tell you that i wanted to measure myself with these guys and i was thoroughly disapointed, i remember thinking what the hell is he teaching these ppl, im a blue belt that was hella rusty yet i was catching his blues with simple chokes and sweeps, it was almost like they had never seen the techniques before. I asked him to roll and he claimed to have some injury yet every time i watched his shity class he wud roll with the real noob guys, speaking of shity class his classes are an hour long which start by doing the weekest warm up i hav eever seen in my life !!!! the stretching is taekwon do or karate stretching , and then he goes right into the techniques which he dsnt even give u enuff time to do properly ( like 2 mins per technique) then u get to roll for 5 minutes at the end of class with your partner ! thats it, u cant roll after class, you cant show anything to anyone nothing......no positional sparing , no drills , no bjj exercises, no nothing. oh and his MMA clas is laughable at best, hear this sh@t out he made his students wear gis and do karate or crap kwon do (his tae kwon do was crap) and the 1st half was striking and i mean classic karate kata stuff and the other half was grappling .....oh the "muay thai" he was teaching was way off !!!! you grab the back of the head or crown not the neck, he didnt know how to defend the clinch nor how to escape it , this man is molesting martial arts and fooling the ppl of san angelo. i called him out a few times and he wud make little smart remarks and allways had an excuse like they wr new and he didnt want to bombard them?????? what bombard them with the correct technique ???, then i later found out after i corrected him he was teaching what i showed him. after tapping one of his purples like 4 times in a row he asked me to show him what i did and i preceded to, and baker runs over to us and is like oh yeah that doesnt work on advanced guys this and that, blah blah blah, (he never failed to say that for every technique that wasnt shown in his dojo) not to mention he had a black belt there that was training for 4 year according to him yet he was no mike fowler or bj penn (both got thr BB in 4 years) He teaches neck cranks and foot locks to his white belts, which every one knows is a big taboo in BJJ or anyother grappling art. listen i cud go on and on about this school but i just dnt have the time...... all i have to say is go and see for yourselves ppl, if you've trained bjj at a REAL BJJ DOJO u will see the difference.....this guy is such a fruad it shud be illegal , hey i guess he has to scam I MEAN make money some how......:pottytrai thats what his school is

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know who your are, but if you say you were stationed here for a few months and are in the air force, I might know who you are. You better not be Adobin, because if you are you are a pitiful jiu-jitsu practitioner. If you were as good as you claimed, you would not have been submitted by one of Baker's blue belts from half-guard with a simple collar choke. Then you think you know how to use Eddy Bravo's lockdown correctly. How dumb is this," I can submit you with the lockdown from top mount." Very idiotic!!!!!!!!!!! This air force guy is always saying jiu-jitsu is the gentle art, so don't use any strength, but this air force guy is always using strength, rather than technique when he roles. Your just upset that a jiu-jitsu practitioner more than half your size was destroying you. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 9:47pm

Style: BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We need to get someone who is experienced to go out there and act like they are a noob and roll with the instructor since he rolls with noobs then show us real skills and tap him lol.

That's interesting that you mention neck cranks and footlocks because I train with a purple who will show and teach us these moves as newbs, but will forbid them in rolling for obvious reasons. He trains MMA fighters so occasionally he and his BJJ black belt will teach us moves you obviously can't use as a newb in a tourneys, but can use in MMA or in a self-defense situation though I really don't know how useful it would be to use them myself in those situations since I never use them when rolling because I'm a crappy white belt :(.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    9/27/2009 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edtang View Post
    Bruce Bookman at Tenzan Aikido here in Seattle. He got his Brown from a local Gracie Barra Black Belt and teaches BJJ classes at his school as well.
    Is that the place on Phinney Ridge? I checked that place out when I lived across the street.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    9/28/2009 9:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, boxing, wrestl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I found the e-mail address I used to contact him a while back. This one: martialarts@mindspring.com. Maybe it still works. He appears to have some students trolling here, so it's probably not wise to announce when/if someone can test his skills. I go to San Angelo every few months so I'd gladly do it, but I'm only still a white belt. I might get my Carlos Machado-trained BB instructor to make a trip though. We'll see. I'll keep you posted. For Baker's trolls, watch your front door. You never know when REAL BJJ BB is going to come in and hand you your asses.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast