Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 3:11pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by featherdusterrr
    I would have liked Seattle Jujutsu, from what i read about the School and heard about the Instructor / teaching i think that is what i'm looking for, but it seem they have only evening class ... ho well maybe i can try to rework my schedule .. but i have the familly to work with :-)

Listen carefully to what I am about to write -

MKG fits your daytime schedule -
    http://www.mkgseattle.com/page.asp?content_id=7145

and it is not too far from downtown if you have a car or some extra time for the bus -
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=wa&zipcode=

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe in learnign a technique first before applying it, otherwise you might just injured yourself by not doing the right thing.
    I totally agree, however, full contact continous sparring is the only way to "learn how to do the right thing." There are drills than can enhance sparring performance, but the value of such drills can only be judged by how much it helps a student improve sparring performance.

I wil not teach any of my friends Tai Chi forms until they can hold their own in sparring, because I don't want them practicing Tai Chi forms without knowing "how to do the right thing" first!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Friday i had a good surprise.
    I was eraly for my class, so the earlier class was going, and they where doing full sparring and going at it.
    They where mostly higher belts, green to black, they whore head and chest padding but other that that they where kicking bare hands and feet so that was pretty cool.
    So at least now i know they do it in this school.

Actually a student and teacher had a dicussion about sparring vs forms, and they agreed that both are needed , which is good cause it's my opinion as well, they go together.
    Thanks for the MKG link i had missed it during my school search. I'll keep it on hand in case i decide i need a different school.

I have not done full sparing yet, but on the other hand after doing forms for a while, the teacher/master usually gets me to use the form motions against him (well he carries pads that i kick/punch at), i get to do that trying to push the action forward. Then he is the one trying to push me back. Sometimes we do the same thing but without trying to do specific forms, just kick/punch etc... as good as you can, more like an actual fight.
    I don't know if you count that as full contact or not, but at least it's not ONLY forms, though i'm looking forward to try the full sparring rather than just kicking pads.

When i was very young, maybe 7-9 i did a bit of Karate, and i hated it because we ONLY did forms, and even if it was "against"("facing" i guess would be more accurate) another student you where to NEVER ever touch the other guy (stop half an inch before contact), and i thought having to stop a kicking/punching motion is really lame, because you can't put any power into it and learn the real thing. Even thought i was that young, i thought it sucked :-)

Other thing i noticed is that the school doesn't seem to be a belt factories, the black belts i met have all been there at least 4 years or more. I also met a red belt that had been that for 12 yeras, i can of feel bad, but to his own admission he can't put enough time into the black belt dedication. I thought it's good though, cause that definitely tells me they don't give black belt just because you have been there long enough and/or paid enough.

I think the school i am at now is allright afterall.
    The only thing i am not to sure about is their afterschool programs, with the "confidence", "self esteem" etc... ads, i've never been into that cheesy motivational stuff anyway :-).
    That doesn't mean their program is bad (i dunno) but it's just a turnof to me.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 10:56am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BFGalbraith, does MKG do much full contact sparring for any of their stand-up stuff? Muay Thai, stickfighting, or JKD kickboxing? I'm just curious because I haven't watched them enough.

Posted On:
    7/16/2007 3:33pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    BFGalbraith, does MKG do much full contact sparring for any of their stand-up stuff? Muay Thai, stickfighting, or JKD kickboxing? I'm just curious because I haven't watched them enough.
    I'm not sure about their stick fighting, but they seem to spar their kickboxing. I think at least one of their saturday classes is a sparring class.

I didn't train there as an MKG student, but I took their saturday BJJ class for around 1-2 years (my BJJ teacher taught a saturday class at MKG until just recently).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...They where mostly higher belts, green to black, they whore head and chest padding but other that that they where kicking bare hands and feet so that was pretty cool....
    Congratulations, you may have found yourself a sparring-oriented TKD school. Now your only problem is that TKD sparring tends to suck anyways, primarily because they do not normally allow round kicks to the legs:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47730
    I am a known hater of TKD, but I still have hopes that this martial art is in reform at least at some Dojangs. If you have found a school trying to do the right thing with sparring and you want to stick with it, then for your sake I hope you are right about their sparring being full contact.

I...Sometimes we do the same thing but without trying to do specific forms, just kick/punch etc... as good as you can, more like an actual fight.I don't know if you count that as full contact or not...
    My personal definition of "full contact" referes to sparring only, and is short for "full contact continous sparring." There are lots of no-contact martial arts systems that hit bags all the time, and even break inanimate objects as part of belt testing, and do not have a full contact element. IMHO these styles are actually worse than no self-defense training at all because they instill bad habits the students would not otherwise have.

... a student and teacher had a dicussion about sparring vs forms, and they agreed that both are needed...
    Yeah, I dissagree with that pretty strongly, forms are optional. In fact, I really would like to see some data on any form enhancing any fighter's sparring ability, because I myself have learned about 1000 (Doc Fai Wong's system has one form that's over 300 moves long, so 1,000 consecutive moves is not a big accomplishment) consecutive moves of forms in Yang Tai Chi, Choy Lay Fut, TKD and Shotokan and I would like to think it wasn't a total waste of time... (though I have to say the TKD and Shotokan forms were much less like fighting than the Tai Chi/CLF forms, and the Doc Fai Wong school was were I got most of my kickboxing experience as limited as it may be.)

I also met a red belt that had been that for 12 yeras, i can of feel bad, but to his own admission he can't put enough time into the black belt dedication. I thought it's good though, cause that definitely tells me they don't give black belt just because you have been there long enough and/or paid enough.

That IS a good sign. Keep us posted, it will be nice if we could develop a list of recommended TKD dojangs in Seattle for those who insist on studying TKD.
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 7/17/2007 10:48am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing with this school is that while it's based on TKD, it crosses over to other arts, for example they do teach quite a bit of Judo Locks and sweeps which to me is a plus.

Whe it comes to forms i'm not sure wether it would help in an actual fight or not, i mean if somebody attacks me i don't think i'll try to think about doing my fotrms, i am a bit slow at remembering :-) . But i guess in theory the forms are suppose to be to teach you some muscle reflexes .. dunno.
    I think at that time it's useful to me, to learn th "basic moves", how to do a correct kick etc ...
    But i do have to say, that i have doubts about learning 1000 of forms cause really once you have the basics, i don't think more forms, which seem to be often just different combinations of the basic techniques, will help you fight any better (if that's your concern).
    So i guess i kinda agree with you, espceially after you know the basics.

As for TKD being an efficient self defense art or not, i'm not sure. It seem to me different arts have different uses/strength and knowing multiples is a big plus.
    I always felt if one person attacked me (well bare hands anyway) i would want to use my Judo/JJ techniques, i felt i can probably put the guy down and put him in a lock failry easily without being hit, well if he isn't bruce lee at least.
    But then on the other hand say 2 guys attack me, then i'm very doubtful of the Judo techniques, because what good does it do to be grappling with a guy while another can hit you ?? In that case i tend to think something like TKD might be more useful if you can keep/"kick" them out of range etc ...
    But maybe in that case my ice hockey fighting 'arts' would be the best anyway, especially if i have my stick on hand :-)

I see you don't believe in TKD too much, that's your right, what art do you practice and which do you think as of "the best" then ?

I'll keep you updated as it goes, at least i'm pretty sure it's not a McDojang at this point.
    Last edited by featherdusterrr; 7/17/2007 11:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 7:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I've never done a site visit to that school, which is why I'm not vouching for it over a TKD/sparring school inspite of my spite for TKD sparring.

MKG has been debated back and for in the "Pa Kua in Seattle" forum (which is about internal martial arts and Kali in the Seattle area.) Last I checked we had a thumbs-up on MKG... my impression is that beginners to a lot of bagwork and drills, but that there is indeed sparring involved. As far as I know it's only been a question of weather their Kali was full contact, I don't know if I've heard their Muay Thai being brought into question before... their BJJ has not been in question on Bullshido.net as far as I know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 8:07pm

Style: BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the place, but I've never been there. Some of the guys I train with are former/current TKD players. I'll ask around if they know anything about it. As for jiu-jitsu, it looks like the Gracie-Barra downtown might fit your schedule (www.bjjseattle.com/schedule.html). I don't train there, but some other posters on here do.

If morning classes work for you, there's also Marcelo Alonso's academy in Wallingford (www.mabjj.com), which is where I train. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, etc.,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 8:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for this link.
    www.bjjseattle.com/schedule.html, it's like 3 blocks from my work !
    That would beat going to ballard, maybe i should do both :-)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast