Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:40pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake

You know as well as I do race is a can of worms. We got people saying boy isn't offensive and that it may be part of his vernacular. Fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    What about "house boy", is that part of an older person's vernacular too?
    I'm aware this is YMAS, so I suppose I shouldn't be taking this seriously, but I thought I'd might clear this up a bit. You're misinterpreting my post (or perhaps I'm just misinterpreting you guys). I am by no means saying that using "boy" is a proper way to address anyone, and I AM acknowledging it was used as a racial slur. What I meant in my original post is that JFS could easily make the argument against it, and the argument would hold up, should anything more arise out of the situation. However, his idiocy in using the N-word pretty much fucks him over.

And I missed the "house boy" comment, which I will say is quite racist, my apologies for not watching more carefully.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, he never said it on the vid. He used the phrase "sell out house boy" as the subtitle of his thread challenging Asia 'over there'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:48pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    I'm aware this is YMAS, so I suppose I shouldn't be taking this seriously, but I thought I'd might clear this up a bit. You're misinterpreting my post (or perhaps I'm just misinterpreting you guys). I am by no means saying that using "boy" is a proper way to address anyone, and I AM acknowledging it was used as a racial slur. What I meant in my original post is that JFS could easily make the argument against it, and the argument would hold up, should anything more arise out of the situation. However, his idiocy in using the N-word pretty much fucks him over.

And I missed the "house boy" comment, which I will say is quite racist, my apologies for not watching more carefully.
    Add still and I see where you are coming from.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:49pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Nah, he never said it on the vid. He used the phrase "sell out house boy" as the subtitle of his thread challenging Asia 'over there'.
    Which is why he can't say it is part of his vernacular. He purposely uses it to refer to anyone he finds out is black.

Ecks I wasn't saying you felt that way.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to throw it out there, I've never heard the term 'boy' or 'house boy' before reading this thread. I didn't even know it was a racial slur until someone mentioned it.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:56pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ At IIF: Yea I know, I just have an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to stuff like this. Call it a character flaw. -.-

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 1:02pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guizzy
    Personally, I think even without knowing that we can safely state that JFS was a fucking lunatic, and I'd add that whether he was racist on top of it would change very little of my opinion on the man I saw in that video.

I don't mind assuming he's a racist without knowing that either. He did call Anna a **** and a skank before she said anything.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 1:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecks
    ^ At IIF: Yea I know, I just have an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to stuff like this. Call it a character flaw. -.-
    I'm monitoring all the threads so I'm in the same boat.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 1:15pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Just to throw it out there, I've never heard the term 'boy' or 'house boy' before reading this thread. I didn't even know it was a racial slur until someone mentioned it.
    It really depends on your age. JFS is way to old not to know.

Too quite a few blacks it is almost as deragatory as ******. I'm not saying universally but, if you used it, some blacks have been talking about you behind your back.

I lived in Salt Lake and worked with a really nice woman who used boy. I explained to her that some blacks find the word very offensive. She didn't believe me.

We had a shoe shiner (insert joke) who was black come through our line. I told her to ask him what he thought. He was about mid to late 50's. She asked and he said I'd slap you in your mouth. I'm not your slave and I'm a man no one talks to me that way.

Again age does play a factor as well as race.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 29 and I definitely think that if you call a black dude "boy" you're about to be fighting. Although it's as much about the tone and context as the word itself.

Maybe it's because I've lived in the South my whole life, racism here is very open and everyone knows the rules.
Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast