Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 7:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Masai Barefoot Technology

I was picking up some new running shoes yesterday when I saw some freaky looking shoes in a section all of their own called Masai Barefoot Technology or "MBT." They claim to simulate walking barefoot on a soft, uneven surface. The supposed benefits are that they will engage various stabiliser muscles that don't get used with regular shoes and by extension alleviate back pain, improve posture, reduce joint stress and a whole mess of other stuff.

Purely out of curiosity, has anyone here used these before? Is there anyone here with relevant physiology/anatomy/kinesiology qualifications who can confirm of these are a valid concept or pure snake oil?
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:29am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak for the product itself. What I can say is that the bottom of the foot/calf muscles are an intricate, and elegant array of nerves and muscles designed to assist with balance and movement. Be placing 3cm of foam and padding on the foot, you retard some of the best reflexes your body has to offer. It is true that a great deal of recruitment and posture issues come from fucked up calf muscles, which in turn stem from the wearing of fucked up padded ****** shoes.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd rather just do some walking exersises.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SFGoon - So i did myself a favor by buying shoes of the non-padded ****** variety? I recently scrapped a pair of new balance cross-trainers because of the inch-and-a-half foam heel which annoyed the hell out of me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 3:25pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real barefoot technology:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I saw the thread title, I though it would have pictures of luscious, voluptuous Massai women giving foot massage (or fetishism). I'm dissapointed that's not the case. :sad7:

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I'd rather just do some walking exersises.
    Yeah. I have a pair of water shoes which I like to use for lifting, skipping and running on the treadmill. They are pretty ghay-looking, but at $6 a pair (I got two paris) they do the job.

I can't believe the type of contraptions people make to mimic what the human foot would naturally do when barefoot. :tongue6: The vibram fivefinger sprint product, however, seems interesting, but only for trekking.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't buy anything titled after people in the third world. If it were Japanese Barefoot Technology, I might consider it. But I am definitely going to buy Cambodian Weight Loss Technology Pills. Just doesn't seem like a good idea....1 - Because Cambodians aren't small because of some pill 2- Since Cambodia is not a major producer of pharmaceuticals, it is safe to assume it is some white business men using 3rd worl exoticism to lure other white people to part with their cash.

Let me know how those 'shoes' work out for you.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me know how those 'shoes' work out for you.
    Heh, I have no intention of buying these. Was just curious.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 5:41pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    SFGoon - So i did myself a favor by buying shoes of the non-padded ****** variety? I recently scrapped a pair of new balance cross-trainers because of the inch-and-a-half foam heel which annoyed the hell out of me.
    Yes, unless you're prone to injury you shouldn't wear padded shoes. I personally wear Chuck Taylors when I work out, much to the dismay and censure of my wealthy metrosexual contemporaries at the wealthy metrosexual gym where I work. There have been several studies done which indicate a positive corelation between paying more than 90$ for your shoes and rolling your ankles. If they'd let me, I'd go barefoot.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 5:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sprained my ankles several times each, almost every time i could blame it on the crap foam-soled shoes i was wearing. i'd go barefoot, but we're talking about walking on the aids-needle, broken-glass, and lava covered streets here.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast