Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 9:13am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use the smith machine for my military presses. I have a chronic shoulder injury, and that is the only way I can do them for more than a couple of weeks without pain. It's kinda weird, but meh.

I don't hate the smith machine, but I wouldn't use it if I didn't need to.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 9:14am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the injury? Overhead presses put quite a lot of stress on the shoulders, which can mean big problems later on if already injured. Is it a rotator cuff issue?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 9:37am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard to find scientific studies saying the Smith machine sucks, but there are some that say that other weight modalities are better.

For instance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Can J Appl Physiol. 2005 Feb;30(1):33-45.

Anderson K, Behm DG.

School of Human Kinetics and Recreation, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 5S7.

The objective of this study was to determine differences in electromyographic (EMG) activity of the soleus (SOL), vastus lateralis (VL), biceps femoris (BF), abdominal stabilizers (AS), upper lumbar erector spinae (ULES), and lumbo-sacral erector spinae (LSES) muscles while performing squats of varied stability and resistance. Stability was altered by doing the squat movement on a Smith machine, a free squat, and while standing on two balance discs. Fourteen male subjects performed the movements. Activities of the SOL, AS, ULES, and LSES were highest during the unstable squat and lowest with the Smith machine protocol (p < 0.05). Increased EMG activity of these muscles may be attributed to their postural and stabilization role. Furthermore, EMG activity was higher during concentric contractions compared to eccentric contractions. Performing squats on unstable surfaces may permit a training adaptation of the trunk muscles responsible for supporting the spinal column (i.e., erector spinae) as well as the muscles most responsible for maintaining posture (i.e., SOL).

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 10:05am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spirez
    What's the injury? Overhead presses put quite a lot of stress on the shoulders, which can mean big problems later on if already injured. Is it a rotator cuff issue?

Rotator cuff tendinitis and scar tissue from a tear. Doc says It's fine as long as I stop when it starts hurting.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 2:11pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When did it happen? I had a similar injury and went to see a Sports massage therapist, did me the world of good as they re-mould the scar tissue to some degree

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 3:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 years ago or so. The joint works fine, but if I go too heavy for too long, or stress the stabilizers, it flares up bad and the arm ends up useless for a month or two.

I don't believe in massage. It feels ok, but no one has really shown that it does much more than that. (But that is another thread entirely...)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123