Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Power rack my friend. However, if that gym is like the one I had access to when I was in community college (that is, the staff is retarded), they'll either get another smith machine, or they get a power rack, but forbid students to do squats with anything heavier than two 25lbs plates (I **** you not.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 8:59am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    I like how you said "probably" not supported by clinical studies.
    thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to derail much, but everytime I see death_pig's name on posts, I have visions of bbq'ed ribs. Creepy.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by death pig
    thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread
    No more or less valuable than your hypothetical studies.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 3:59pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by death pig
    I'm going to go against received internet wisdom and state that if you use the smith machine from time to time in conjunction with normal exercises you will in fact not burst into flames or die from chronic joint problems. There are loads of exercises commonly performed by bodybuilders and strength trainees that force the body to move in one plane of motion (sled squats, leg presses, many machine exercises) and are useful for completely fatiguing whatever your target muscle is. I haven't used the smith machine in about five years but this old THE SMITH MACHINE WILL MAKE YOU DIE chestnut is wildly overexaggerated and probably not supported by clinical studies.
    Internet wisdom? Machines suck and bodybuilders are a poor example to use as they don't care if they get nagging joint problems, have no flexibility or have **** posture as long as they can lift weights, which seems to be the majority. They are about looking good not being able to move and function well in all areas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 7:58pm

Style: San Shou, Kickboxing MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am in the same boat, it seems my school as all the equipment, and yet we dont have a power rack, and instead and smith machine.

This makes things difficult to do squats.

I never though of writing a complaint. I should try it.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 8:21pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what long term body building can do for you-

z.about.com/.../1/0/N/9/arnold_then_now.jpg

My understanding is that he must be helped from his helicopter, car etc. Besides the fact that body building does not build the kind of muscle most athletes need. I think body building's focus on looks over function and roids, have done more too hurt fitness and martial arts, over the long run. I mean body building, not weight/strength training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 3:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobious12
    I am in the same boat, it seems my school as all the equipment, and yet we dont have a power rack, and instead and smith machine.

This makes things difficult to do squats.

I never though of writing a complaint. I should try it.
    Have you got access to heavy dumbells for squatting with? No rack required then. Could possibly do it with cable machines too?

This is a poor example but the best i could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT2xvd_BWYs

The cable machines i've seen are adjustable and the handles can be placed right at the bottom so you have weight throughout the whole movement

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 5:36am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The heaviest dumbells at my current gym are 20kgs. Not exactly squat weights squats lol. I can also max out the cable setup doing tricep pull downs. Currently im doing front squats and deadlifts as my main leg lifts. I tried squating but the weights I can lift are limited by my clean and jerk which unfortunately isnt near my squat.

There is good news as talking to a fellow gym goer it appears as if the track team (which I am apart of) are also going to push for a power rack. According to my source the head of sport (also involved with track and field) mentioned looking to get a power cage which is very good news.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 8:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, that sucks!

At least if there are already people pushing for a cage you have some more weight to your argument.

Do you do lunges? They're another great exercise you could do in the mean time and there are loads of variations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjj18GjAvJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hbql4ulsuo

I don't know how strong you are but 20kgs should give you a nice workout.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast