Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to fend off any attacker is best paraphrased by the great Bruce Campbell:
    "THIS....is my BOOMSTICK."
    If you're in Athens, I recommend the Hardcore Gym or the Itto Dojo. I visited most other places and was deeply discouraged.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:49am

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Athens, TN not Athens, GA

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 12:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >.< Missed the TN. Too many Athens out there anyway.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 1:07pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Five year old black belts, that's ridiculous. Know a school where they justify giving toddlers black belts by saying they are "junior" black belts, "junior" Nidan Black belts, "junior" Sandan Black belts, etc.. I asked what happens when they are no longer juniors , do they go to a lower adult level, he didn't say anything....

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:14pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you are correct 5 year old black belt are ridiculoous... Instructors should have a little bit more integrity when promoting there students. I own a TKD school and my students stay in the tiger cubs class until they are 7 then they can start back at White belt and advance through the ranks in that case they would get there black belt at 91/2-10 years old after 5+ years of training. And just to put my .02 on the topic of rank... to me rank in a school or style is just like a degree from university.. you may not have had to work as hard as i did to get my degree at UGA and I didnt have to work as hard as some getting a PHD at Harvard but in the end which means more and which can you go more with.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:50pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicktkd
    you are correct 5 year old black belt are ridiculoous... Instructors should have a little bit more integrity when promoting there students. I own a TKD school and my students stay in the tiger cubs class until they are 7 then they can start back at White belt and advance through the ranks in that case they would get there black belt at 91/2-10 years old after 5+ years of training. And just to put my .02 on the topic of rank... to me rank in a school or style is just like a degree from university.. you may not have had to work as hard as i did to get my degree at UGA and I didnt have to work as hard as some getting a PHD at Harvard but in the end which means more and which can you go more with.
    What kind of jobs does a TKD BB qualify you for these days?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:58pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even a 10 year old with a BB is suspect. I was part of the ITA way back when it was the USTA so I know what goes on in those dojangs. I am glad I left.

Just so ya'll know that when that 10 year old gets his BB a 30 year old man is required to call him Mr. Snot nose and say yes sir to him more so if they have that red stripe around the collar. This means that they are an assistant instructor.

Tell your girl to find a place that can give her real results not just a false sense of bravado after a few years. Tell her she needs a place that teaches real self defense and doesnt prescribe to the order or martial arts like a TKD school. I always recommend Judo but thats because I am a Judoka. Hell she will learn more in a Maui Thai gym then in a TKD school or even boxing.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 3:25pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for your freind her best bets for self defense would be a muy thai school, BJJ or maybe judo, you can get very effective training in a small amount of time.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. So, she should be taking something like BJJ. I'm really cocerned about her safety. How can you convince someone their martial art sucks and NOT loose them as a friend?

(Simply tackling her and pinning her to ground is not an option, because we live about an hour away from each other.)

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mus_e
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. So, she should be taking something like BJJ. I'm really cocerned about her safety. How can you convince someone their martial art sucks and NOT loose them as a friend?

(Simply tackling her and pinning her to ground is not an option, because we live about an hour away from each other.)
    Ideas:
    -Send her here. Spending time on forums like this convinced at least one of my friends to switch from Aikido to BJJ (he eventually switched back, for silly reasons).
    -Suggest a friendly sparring match. If she sees her TKD isn't doing so hot, she might consider something more effective. Use this as an opportunity to explain Aliveness, the problems of TKD, blah blah etc.

Also, it is my personal opinion that knife ownership > all martial arts. Get her a folding pocket knife as a birthday present or something. On the off-chance that she is sexually assaulted, if she can't axe kick her attacker unconcious, she can at least stab him and prevent further trauma.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast