Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 10:45am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ever use an instrument for self defense?

When I don't have a gig or studio/rehearsal commitment, or training....I'm playing music for the good people of Boston in their horrific subway...Downtown. I've encountered many haters and thieves, but holding a guitar is a beautifull thing when someone goes too far, gets agressive, and puffs up on me...(with hands clenched at the sides usually, what dumbasses...at that point I'm choosing not to knock them out)...I don't carry the guitar if I have to chase anyone to get money back...but anyone who takes it, gives it back or has it taken...I've run down benches to catch thieves who ran to the last car on a busy day with some of my $, and thought I'd never catch them.... My girl and I are friends with all the train drivers (most of them will hold the train for a moment...that's all I need), inspectors and a fair chunk of the MBTA police...we've helped before when stuff went down.

I've never had anyone attempt to attack me while I was holding a guitar...anyone else ever needed to use their instrument to keep someone up out of their grill? It can get loud out there, and with the MBTA's hands off policy for non police staff, and the releases we have to sign to have a permit, (and too few T cops), it's pretty much up to us to hold it down.

My girlfriend, Terelle, and I play together and train together...we take it seriously (martial arts) because we end up in some form of verbal confrontation with random knuckle heads/haters at least once every 2 weeks ...for 4 years together....and 3 years before that for me (and it used to be real crazy when I was by myself..I couldn't leave my equipment easily to go do the thing)....It pays to be aware and alert.

So anyone ever bash someone with an instrument? how did it feel? how did they feel? Could you still play the instrument after?

Here's how Keith Richards does it (note: the guy must have fought through security to reach him, so don't feel bad for that dude with the concussion)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KyK0y02HvVc

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate when people play in the subway....sry. Are you that old guy with the beard and overused delay pedal?

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 11:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    I hate when people play in the subway....sry. Are you that old guy with the beard and overused delay pedal?
    No, that's probably Manny....He's better at home with all of his toys. I'm the singer/guitarist with the ponytail who haunts downtown crossing on the orange line with my girlfriend... performing blues, reggae, rock n'roll and sometimes R&B.

We got on the radio, (MIT radio, three times on Rockers on 88.9 FM), in the Herald, channel 5, studio, gigs, a contest winning documentary...etc...it all came from us playing thousands of hours out there honing our skill, and testing our material on people with no filter....we can't take a drummer, or bass player, but such is life....

Sorry if you don't like subway performers, we hate listening to people spouting off on their cell phones to get attention that we're earning with performance or engaging in loud conversation right next to us, when there's 30 benches out there. but have to deal with it. Our friend Steven Baird from community arts advocates took the MBTA to federal court to maintain that right...same goes for the Boston Common...we gathered signatures and provoked an outcry when the T proposed banning amps. We fought that right out, with the people's help...so you're almost definitely in a minority of riders. It's the main reason I train in the martial arts....so I can continue to play where I please without being a mark. I may have to throw hands on any given day, to protect myself, same goes for my girl...so when we train, we have that in mind. It's not theory to me...I've seen/been in too much loud (not volume) **** for that.

That said, you're welcome to a free CD of my full band, as a fellow Bullshido member, if you come see me at Downtown Crossing, on the orange line...We'll be there tonight, and tomorrow morning, and often twice a day thereafter. Take it easy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 12:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol @ the hostility.

I also hate ppl who talk on the phones on the platform. But I dislike most strangers, so that's not saying much. Hey, if you are going to be there mid-day during the week let me know. I work in back bay, I'd stop by just to say hi...

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 9:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool man, I'll have a disk for you....I'll be there today, for a few hours, I have to go see about a gig at the Haley house in Dudley square before 4 (saturday brunch thing) I'll most likely play from 12 noon - 2:30....If you like, PM me where you work, and I'll drop a CD off, (you can still come listen, you're always invited) if your schedule is tight. I haven't played back bay in a few months....but it's on the way home from downtown.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 9:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    lol @ the hostility.

I also hate ppl who talk on the phones on the platform. But I dislike most strangers, so that's not saying much. Hey, if you are going to be there mid-day during the week let me know. I work in back bay, I'd stop by just to say hi...
    you ever see any subway/street musicians/artists get into it with people?...it can be more entertaining than the music. I saw a clown war downtown upstairs on Washington st. once....two insano clowns, yelling at each other, shouting at customers about each other, and pushing each other off their crates, and giving balloons away to the obviously frightened children to undercut each other's business. The clown wars were amazing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never seen anyone harrass anyone...i don't know if that is good or not.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 11:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's good, to not see it, but if you do, and the performer doesn't take it lying down (or sitting down) it makes for some interesting exchanges. I usually put them out there to start, on the mic if they can't act right. Then get someone to get an inspector while I have it out with them (if I have to beat them up, or they stop short of violence but won't leave us be, it helps to have authority on the way to cart them off to the clink or kick them out of the station)

Our advantage is knowing thousands of people who ride the T, and having a real chunk of Boston know us, or of us...that way if there's trouble, we're rarely alone...and sometimes have to talk our friends out of doing harm to our agressors. Most of the troublemakers in this city are drunk at the time, or not on their meds that day. I partly left Oregon because of the problem of people doing speed...much more dangerous. Drunk I can handle, but meth is something else.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you busk with an acoustic guitar and play folk songs and open-chord versions of pop songs? That's so cliche. Get an accordian or a cello or something.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 4:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAMA
    Do you busk with an acoustic guitar and play folk songs and open-chord versions of pop songs? That's so cliche. Get an accordian or a cello or something.
    haha, I know buskers that play both, I play electric guitar...and not strumming.....sing and solo baby! I sometimes use a sampler....make a riddim with my voice/guitar and solo over. Depends on how we (my girl and I) feel that day. There are many ways to work it. We do blues, reggae, rock n' roll, jazz, and R&B...same goes for my full band. PM me your adress, I'll mail you a cd of the band...or PM me an email account with space for some mp3s.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast