Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 12:21pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbows are good in many circumstances, but you need to have a decent sense of range to throw them and they actually do something. I once fought a guy who would throw elbows when they had no chance of hitting me, they're good strikes if you know how to use them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 12:47pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbows are a very important weapon to have. They aren't trained too heavily since it's an illegal move in amateur muay thai fights, at least where I am. But like someone else said, it's a great equalizer which is why in MMA fights elbows should be kept. People have argued that one fighter can dominate another fighter, but the losing one throws a good elbow which stops the fight and that's much like street fighting, you see an opening and you use it to win.

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 8:32pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only fighters I have seen who are really good with standing elbows are Anderson Silva for MMA and Carnage Corbett for muay thai. I think you need to be very advanced to use them like they are meant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 8:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are the only MAINSTREAM fighters you see use them. Pick up some fights that actuly take place in Thai Land and you will see them a lot more. They generaly sell them on VCD in thai markets here in the US. My wife is asian so she picks them up for me when she goes shoping. I think muaythaiart.com carries them too. I advise turnning th the sound down, and getting some bg music unless you speak Thai.

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 9:02pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    The only fighters I have seen who are really good with standing elbows are Anderson Silva for MMA and Carnage Corbett for muay thai. I think you need to be very advanced to use them like they are meant.
    Ausiie Muay Thai FTW!

Carnage is an awesome fighter. His gym "Five Rings" has some really great fighters. Daniel Lima teaches BJJ there, and Hector Lombard is training there currently too.

The impression Carnage gave at the recent Warriors Realm cage fight is that he is considering getting into the cage, and when you take into account the caliber of grapplers he's got around him, I'd happily put money on him in MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 9:13pm

Style: Aikibujutsu, Shinkendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbows are weak and I hope nobody in the whole world uses them.

...except me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 1:01am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Says the guy with the made up style.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:13am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw some kind of unorthodox elbow strikes that hit with the point rather than the more common base of the forearm strikes. They will ruin an eye socket. There's a bunch of them in this video I made a thread about a while back.
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=10246995

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 3:22am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're pretty easy to use in the clinch, in MMA anyway, IMO. But you can end up in **** position after it lands.

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 12:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elbows are good street, standing or ground, if the distance is right. Point is the best weapon, as stated above, but you need to be angled differently from opponent, or slightly farther, to crunch eye or nose with it (and it does make a nice crunching sound upon impact with the nose).

For base-of-forearm elbow strikes, one still sees some fighters keeping the hand of the striking arm in a clenched fist. This contracts forearm muscles, padding the bone of the striking forearm. Fortunately, more and more people know to open that hand so that that nice sharp forearm bone gets to do the facial remodelling. Point is still better, though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast