Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    9/10/2003 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got one on the cheap, the only problem is that it's empty, which doesn't make for good knocking around. What do I fill it with, and how do I fill it? Any info is appreciated.
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2003 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on how hard you want your final product, and what kind of bag...vinyl or canvas?

Is it an el cheapo brand, or a good one like Everlast?

I have bought several Century vinyl bags (empty) and put a piece of 4x4" wood in the center (put about 4-6" of rags in the bottom of the bag first), then pack CLEAN rags around the post until full. I finsd bags and bags of rags for free at the Goodwill stores. Anything works, but key here is to make sure they are clean (no nasty smelling things in a bag please) Make sure you take all buttons/zippers off the rags as they will wear a hole in the bag eventually as you use it.

As you use the bag, the rags will pack down and it get harder. You will periodically have to add more rags. If the bag gets to hard for your needs, you can upen the bag, take everything out, fluff up the rags and refill it again.

I haven't tried this, but thought it sounded like a good idea. Put your 4-6" of rags in first, then the 4x4 post, then put maybe 1'2-1" of foam padding inside so that it is in contact with the vinyl/canvas, then fill the empty space between the foam and the 4x4 with rags. Might give a nice "natural" feel to the bag.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning
    'lousy hunter.--- Andy Rooney

Posted On:
    9/14/2003 2:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you don't like water?

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication
    Fighting Multiples - http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162

"Okay Mr. Mcfu I've got to ask.....what kind of bullshit technique is that one in your sig?" Posted by omega.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    9/14/2003 10:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A water filled bag is the way to go but with what you have old clothes and rags are perfect as described by Tall above.

What ever you do NOT make the bag progressively "harder" like the old tough guys in the karate schools advocate. You do NOT want to toughen your hands (read "break your wrists") by hitting some sand filled bag.

Try to make the bag have some give like the human body.

If you have a hard bag, hit with shoes on your feet and OPEN HANDS and soft parts like hammerfist.

--------------------------
    Stay in your center.
    R. Masters

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    9/15/2003 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So rice or mung beans is a bad idea?
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2003 4:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** if rice is bad i guess i had better go take the ball bearings out of mine

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/15/2003 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you don't like water?
    I don't know PD..I've never had the chance to beat on one before. Sounds OK, but I've heard they are prone to leaking after a while.

I just use a vinyl Century MA bag. Cheap, rags to fill it are free, and the one I'm using now I've had in class for maybe 7 years or so, and it's holding up fine.

I keep mine about medium hard (I'm talking the heavy bad here people..lol), and unpack and repack it about 3-4 times/year.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning
    'lousy hunter.--- Andy Rooney

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    9/15/2003 11:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! yeah, hard is good...sometimes..

anyway, no rice, beans, or ball bearings...

The crushed skulls of your dead enemies would make a fine fill for a heavy bag!

--------------------------
    Stay in your center.
    R. Masters