Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 12:04am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Legs too short to triangle, alternatives?

So just some background. I'm 5'7", 205 lbs, with a 26 or 27" inseam. I have big beefy legs, which are a great benefit for keeping guys in guard, but they're almost impossible to close in a triangle.

The few times I've been able to almost do it, i'm closing my leg onto the toes, rather than the ankle, as it seems most other people are able to do. Add to that the practically instant cramping that occurs seems to preclude me from performing a proper triangle. However, because my legs are beefy, even a non-fully closed triangle can tap guys out, but I have to grab onto my pants the entire time.

So one thing I was wondering, given how beefy my legs are, it's totally possible for me to tap someone out by triangling my legs around just my opponent's neck, rather than his neck and arm. But I wonder, is there a hidden danger behind this? With my legs wrapped around just his neck, and both of his arms free?

Does anybody else have this short leg problem? What do you do to overcome it, or alternatives used?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 3:17am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried that in mma sparring, the other guy stood up and started striking every time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 7:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    trying to triangle him without one arm in is giving him a pass, all he has to do is stack, push your legs to the side while sliding his head out, going to side control

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 7:38am

Style: Feng Shou; BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can still get them to tap, then you must be getting it in tight enough, even without your ankle under your knee, so I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, if the triangle starts to slip, the obvious thing to do is just pull your top leg to the other side of his head to get the armbar.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lose weight and stretch.

I used to never be able to do triangles .I was 5'10" @ ~216. Now I am 185 and I can triangle. Some of it is the weight loss but don't underestimate proper stretching of the hip joints.

Also position is key. If you are not lean and flexible you can't just "slap on a triangle". You'll have to work through positioning in order to apply it. At my gym we worked through a great series in which every step along the way from guard to triangle, you had control of your partner right through the execution of the technique.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a: lose weight.

b: turn off to an angle.

c: one leg, one arm.

d: ask your instructor to explain b and c.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 2:03pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give it up man.
    Get yerself a battleaxe and do
    DWARF COMBAT

off that there lord of them rings.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 1:18pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get those hips high.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 2:11pm

Style: GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a seminar with Ryron, he showed a slight (and simple) variation for this exact problem. Instead of killing yourself trying to get your knee over your ankle, just use your calve muscle to pull down on your ankle. If you have your same-side hand free you can grab your shin to help keep the pressure.
    (Also, they say it's a bad idea to put downward pressure on your toes while triangling because your basically foot-locking yourself)

With shorter legs you will be able to generate enough pressure to tap anyone. Just make sure you are still getting a good angle, and really keeping their arm pulled over.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 2:18pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Also, they say it's a bad idea to put downward pressure on your toes while triangling because your basically foot-locking yourself)

My instructor told us he saw someone suffer a broken (foot? ankle? can't remember) exactly this way when the person being held burst up to his feet. He always cites this as the reason why we need to grab our shin and not our toes when trying to close a triangle.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast