232394 Bullies, 4113 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Marine recruits east of the Mississipii go to MCRD Parris Island off the coast of South Carolina, west of the Mississippi go to MCRD San Diego.

*snooty Marine Corps attitude* It's only called boot camp in the Marines, the rest of you military slobs go to Basic Training,
    Nah, that's only 'cause Marines can't spell big words like "training". Doh!

**The war begins!**
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 9:48pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    Infantry OSUT is another story from what I hear. I did my basic at Knox which has a reputation for being slightly less hardcore than Benning. As such, they pound the **** out of you in resentment of being seen as #2, much as they do in Air Assault for the same reason. We were rumored to have an undercover CID agent in our BN due to complaints of mistreatment. I was made to sit down with an LTC and tell him how the drills were treating us there.

But Jackson, Sill, and Leonard Wood (where I did my OBC,) = T3h gh3y.
    I did OSUT at Knox. During the AIT portion, we had about 18 or so guys in the Troop that were 3 - 15 year vets go through it with use from an MOS that was phased out. They were being redesignated to 19D. They thought the physical side of what we were doing was much harder than Benning, particularily the road march speeds. However, they said there was less unreasonable torment by the DI's, although it was still relatively high. Also had two Marine going through, he said he thought the Marine Boot Camp was easier than what he saw using doing, because they did slightly harder physical stuff, but didn't get harsh group punishment for minor individual screw ups the way the Army did.

We also had the same rumors about undercover CID. I think its one of the Knox traditions for that rumor to get spread around every cycle. I really doubt there are that many, if any CID guys. The Aberdeen scandal hit after I went through OSUT, and if you look at how much verified sexual harassment, DI affairs with recruits and rape via coercion was going on there of the course of a few years, I have a hard time believing CID is putting any CID agents undercover at all. Think about how hard it would be to find agents willing to do basic more than once without killing morale and destroying rentention rates.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 12:14am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know that the ruck marches are any faster at Knox than anywhere else. It's just that the hills there are uber-fucked.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 6:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am looking to get up to maine or the pacific northwest/alaska.

Bit far from florida or hawaii ;P lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 7:16am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Marine recruits east of the Mississipii go to MCRD Parris Island off the coast of South Carolina, west of the Mississippi go to MCRD San Diego.
    The line is a bit different than that. For instance, Michigan is split up so that your boot camp depends on which part of the state you're in (even though the whole state is East of the Mississippi).

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 8:14am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, the hardest part is the unknown.

{Putting on Old Salt Hat}

When I went through boot camp... It was easy as ****. Bear in mind, the USCG is DoT, not DoD, so they are extra gung ho, at least that's what my ex girlfriend told me who was Fresh Water Sailor. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 10:36am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonillo
    Seriously, the hardest part is the unknown.

{Putting on Old Salt Hat}

When I went through boot camp... It was easy as ****. Bear in mind, the USCG is DoT, not DoD, so they are extra gung ho, at least that's what my ex girlfriend told me who was Fresh Water Sailor. :)
    That's the whole of it right there. If the organization you join in any way considers itself to be #2, they will rough up their recruits to prove they're really #1. Of course, t3h r34l #1 is entirely unaware there's any competition whatsoever and just kinda chugs along.

Don't be like a stupid friend of mine who showed up to Sapper School wearing a Ranger tab. To his credit, he took daily brutal smokings rather than remove it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Basic at Benning. It isn't that "hard". C'mon... the people who have trouble in basic are either a) idiots b) fat lard asses c) people with attitude problems.

That's it!

I know a lot of military. From Navy Seals, Air Force PJ's, Rangers...all the way down to Army cable installers and Marine helicopter mechanics. Training differs from branch to branch and station to station, even company to company. But you know what the common basic experience is?

1) It's as hard as you make it.
    2) It's more mental stress than physical.

You're gonna march. Gonna shoot. Run. Push ups. Classes on sexual harrassment. Water survival. More classes on sexual harrassment. It really isn't that hard. Millions and millions of people before you and millions and millions of people after you will do it. The average person will be just fine. Even the lower than average person will be fine. In fact, unless you are a complete fucking retard or psychotic you will make it.

Worry more about the work you will do once basic training is over. Because basic training is just shock therapy. It is a short period of annoyingly uncomfortable regimented training that you will laugh at once you are done.

Now I know people want to say that THIER basic training was harder in the 'old days'...or at so-and-so base. The truth is (as I have heard from many sources) is that in some ways it is easier today and some ways it's harder. How do you define "hard"? Does being punched, pushed, and abused make you a better soldier? I can deal with that crap. I do martial arts. Gimme a break. I'll tell you what's hard. Qualifying with your rifle wearing an IBA in 3 different positions. In the old days they didn't have to do that. You see what I am saying? It's all in your perspective. Now we do more ruck marches longer distances. But drill sgts aren't allowed to 'punish you' - now they use corrective training. Nowadays you know every single day of basic training that you are going into combat in Iraq/Afghanistan and that fear wakes up with you every single morning and you signed up regardless. But in the old days you had to eat K rations.

I mean what the ****. Who cares how hard it is. If you are going to do it then do it. If you are too scared, then live in fear, and don't do it. A little anxiety is a good thing. A challenge is a good thing. Completing difficult training is rewarding.

Enjoy!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 11:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So i should expect CG bootcamp to be pretty rough .....oh boy =P

I am going to do it either way, I'm not at all worried about boot camp honestly. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it maybe see what i can expect.

Ill just continue on my bodyweight routine and swimming and incorporate some jogging and I am sure I will do just fine.

I like this thread though !
    Last edited by Valthar; 7/10/2007 11:16am at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to relate a basic training story. A funny one.

Our company had 4 training platoons. 40 people in each platoon (approx). And during basic each platoon competes in events against the other platoons for the title of 'honor platoon'. Woooooo! Big deal to the drill Sgts. BIG DEAL. Bragging rights.

Well 2nd platoon (wolfpack) just couldn't gel for the first half. We kept fucking up. We had the highest concentration of morons in our platoon. They would **** it up. Like during Nick at Night (overhead live fire as you crawl under wire, etc) where our Pakistani just quit in the middle - we had it won except for one guy who just wouldn't go.

So...we weren't winning events. And it was pissing our drills off.

And it became apparent we weren't going to win.

Drill Sgt Tucker. Great guy. Real professional. He was the 'hard ass' our cadre. No mercy. No emotion. But super technical and committed. He was soooo funny....

"2nd platoon. You pissing me off. I've won honor platoon last 5 cycles in a row. But not this time. Because you don't want it. But I tell you what 2nd platoon. You gonna win the physical fitness event. You wanna know why?"

...silence...

"Because we **** ya'll up."

...and then we began another fun night of sweat puddles on the barrack floor...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast