Administrator

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 9:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin

I always miss that "DA" is me. :P I'm not trying to be dumb though. Fact is, Bullshido.net is mainly seen as an MMA board by the martial arts world. Yes, those of us who actually participate here for any length of time realize that it's more "MMA" in the old sense of the term (a mix of different martial arts) than in the sports fighting sense. But if MaverickZ, Pl4sma, DerAuslander, Stick and I showed up at a Tai Chi school and got called "those damn MMA guys", it'd make perfect sense. Would you rather the sub-title say "VT vs. some MMA guys"? Or "VT vs. some people from Bullshido"? Or "VT in stand-up only rules vs. some random people from the interwebs who sometimes post on Bullshido.net"? For you to be saying that the Austin group is trying to lie or misrepresent themselves is a rather big accusation.

Dagon :fart:
    Are you being stupid on purpose? If it said those MMA guys I wouldn't have a problem. The title on the video says Ving Tsun VS. MMA. How do you keep missing that part?

It isn't an accusation it is the truth. Where the **** do you get this VT vs MMA Guys" bullshit?

The video states

"Ving Tsun Vs MMA
    footage from
    bullshido Throwdon Austin."

These were not MMA fights.
    Grond was a poster here as was his teacher. They know and knew what MMA stood for so, that is a lame excuse. They knew exactly what MMA means in this sense.
    So yes, that video is a gross misrepresentation of what happened.

Notice, I never said they shouldn't do it.
    Never said they should pull the video.

It's called marketing. I have no problem with marketing. It is just bullshit when you admit they don'tt have the facilities to do MMA. Then in the next paragraph you are telling me it is a big accusation to say the video is bullshido.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/11/2007 9:48am at .

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    7/11/2007 1:28pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me see if we can actually get on the same page about this. I don't think that the two of us are really too far off.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    If it said those MMA guys I wouldn't have a problem.
    I think that would work better myself too. "VT vs. MMA guys"? Is that what you're saying you'd rather see? I agree that it would be better written that way.

Where the **** do you get this VT vs MMA Guys" bullshit?
    I simply was trying to ask if that'd be better... wasn't saying that's what it said. Oh, the internets! You have misconstrued me for the last time!

So yes, that video is a gross misrepresentation of what happened.

Then in the next paragraph you are telling me it is a big accusation to say the video is bullshido.
    What I said is that it's a bit over-the-top to say the Austin group is trying (purposefully) to misrepresent themselves. From meeting and working out with a couple of the guys there, one thing I can tell you is that they don't fake stuff, LARP, or play pretend. Those guys epitomize hard work, letting the "hands do the talking", and practicing "under 1000 lights". Come on, how many other _ing _unners out there have even been open to Throwdowns?

I just think you're reading into a single minute of a "5 year video montage" a bit much. I don't think that they were attempting anything with it, other than showing some clips of what they've done over the last 5 years. I certainly don't think they were trying to say "Hey, we're t3h r3a1 _ing _un because we beat the crap out of a bunch of MMA guys." They have been releasing some new videos lately, and that one is just a wrap-up of the old videos. You should check out some of the new ones though. They all have pretty good sound-tracts on them and even caused me to buy some new music that you can't find in the U.S. Jamie T, yea! :)

Dagon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2007 9:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So to answer the OP:

Yes, they hosted a Throwdown a while ago. Their guys seemed to do okay in the standup, and Hedgehogey still has sand in his vagina over the event. :pity: There was little rolling or actual "MMA", since they did not really have the facilities for it. They are open to different forms of sparring/training. The majority of the Bullshido videos have not been seen in a while.

Does that answer what you were wondering, FLG?

Thanks DA that cleared up all the questions I had. I was just searching youtube for old throwdown footage and thought it was odd that -ing --un school had participated in a throwdown despite Bullshido's general stance on -ing --un.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:14am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's "misrepresenting" yourself to put the bits that make you look good on your hightlight reel on your website. Anyone's going to naturally do that. There's no equal time rule for martial arts highlights. However, people reading should be aware that the footage from that TD, viewed without editing, is . . . shall we say...less dynamic.

I'll put them up when I can make some time to find them.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    7/13/2007 12:39am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talked to Aaron whist picking up comics this week. Few relevant points

1- He seems to very much advocate that you need proficiency in all three ranges to be able to really fight. He reccomended cross-training in BJJ fairly highly, and indicates that a number of his current students do seek out no-gi submission grappling.

2- His knowledge of fitness is really freaking expansive. He's renegades certified, and talking to him about periordization for competition is like getting a condensed version of all the non-retarded portions of the fitness forums on this site. As soon I start ramping up for larry st clairs kali tournament in October, i'm shelling out the cash to get Aaron helping me with my workout schedule. He seems very much of the view that anyone who's going to bother trainign VT with him should be in the best shape possible, and pre-class I saw everyone working olympic rings, throwing around the medicine ball, and swinging kettlebells and clubbels arround. There was no one even remotely fat in the class.

3- He trains Sport Sambo with Gokor and Gene Lebell when he's working in LA. He's rolled with Manny(an experience he likens to violent rape.......). He has helped Gene teach at seminars, and takes wrestling skill pretty seriously. He has no illusions abut "anti-grappling" that isn't rooted in grappling skill. He openly admits weaknesses in his game, and what things he shouldn't be teaching to people(he feels he has a waaaaaay weak bottom game, and is pretty sure he would pass that on to potential sambo students).

4- He's got a hard-on for russian stuff, so you can see how much he tries to really really convince himself that the systema isn't silly. He tried for quote some time to convice my pekiti instructor about the systema knife defenses. SO he probably gets starry-eyed about material close to his heart, and this may apply to his assement of VT as well.

5- although he advocates doing BJJ and sambo a lot, he does ride the sport vs martial art semantics sometimes. It ends up not being a super big thing since he still reccomends doing the things he lumps in as "sport" anyway.

Last edited by selfcritical; 7/13/2007 1:05am at . Reason: inserting pics

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    2- His knowledge of fitness is really freaking expansive. He's renegades certified, and talking to him about periordization for competition is like getting a condensed version of all the non-retarded portions of the fitness forums on this site. As soon I start ramping up for larry st clairs kali tournament in October, i'm shelling out the cash to get Aaron helping me with my workout schedule. He seems very much of the view that anyone who's going to bother trainign VT with him should be in the best shape possible, and pre-class I saw everyone working olympic rings, throwing around the medicine ball, and swinging kettlebells and clubbels arround. There was no one even remotely fat in the class.

Barbell overhead presses on an Indo Board are definitely a Renegade influence... and rather impressive. (shown at 3:50 into this):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7ZAAAOOtI
    link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM7ZAAAOOtI

In his Youtube account, Aaron also has some other videos showing more strength training. They are worth a look.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 3:10pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on, how many other _ing _unners out there have even been open to Throwdowns?
    We had a WT dude that participated in the throwdown Seattle Kyokushin hosted a few years ago. He used to post on here, but I haven't seen him around lately.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234