Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Miami and I'm considering training with this guy. I don't think he is "delusional" as someone said earlier. Read his blog, particularly his article titled "Mixed Martial Arts vs. Traditional Martial Arts".

http://martialartsandfitness.typepad.com/martialarts/

I think he shows more class here than a lot of people do. He doesn't feel threatened or get defensive, which is a good thing. I'll know more when I meet him, but I think some of you are jumping the gun.
    Last edited by Christian; 1/25/2008 6:19pm at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 11:21pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    I live in Miami and I'm considering training with this guy. I don't think he is "delusional" as someone said earlier. Read his blog, particularly his article titled "Mixed Martial Arts vs. Traditional Martial Arts".

http://martialartsandfitness.typepad.com/martialarts/

I think he shows more class here than a lot of people do. He doesn't feel threatened or get defensive, which is a good thing. I'll know more when I meet him, but I think some of you are jumping the gun.
    Nice link. It was a pretty good article.

I liked that the very next article underneath talked about the new addition of MMA classes to their program. The main instructor being Isidro Alfonso who was a Cuban wrestling champ and Sambo Champ. Hopefully SamboSteve will come by and tell us how good Isidro is.

They also have an assistant instructor, Manuel Del Rio, who is 15-0 in MMA. While your there ask where he's fought and who he's fought. Because you'd figure a guy who was 15-0 in MMA would show up on Sherdog, but oddly enough he doesn't. Let us know what you find out.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/25/2008 11:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick note I did find a fight record for one Manuel Del Rio, but no guarantee that it's the same guy. I pulled it off of FC Fighter his record there is 0-1-0. Only one fight and it took place in August of 2007.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 6:57pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember when I did JKD, a special guest came in whose name escapes me talked about Wing Chun's ground system. I'd assume hung gar's is pretty similar. From what I saw it never really worked with actually *grappling* on the ground, it was more like your on the ground trying to prevent someone from getting on top of you to begin with with kicks etc, and to straight blast if someone mounts you. They did incorporate a couple chokes and a couple arm bars but I'm not sure if this is traditional wing chun or some modified type of deal. All in all it was essentially retarded, but it was interesting none the less.

I do however remember one huge bit of bullshido, the main takedown defense the wing chun guy did was this side step, earbox slap type of ****. Which basically assumed the person trying to take you down was a 6 year old girl with autism. When the thing was over and the class began next week without our special guest, our regular instructor told us not to focus much time on the ear slap side step, and more on sprawling. Which was a nice way of saying disregard that.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 7:57pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard of this Cuban sambist. But, I don't know him personally. You could check his record with FIAS here: www.sambo.com

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to add, I will look through the FIAS results as well and any Cuba info. There should be a contact for Cuba on the FIAS site. But, since his bio does not say when Isidro Alfonso won, it will take a bit of digging.

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 8:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Gar Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a few others with Hung Gar experience have chimed in already, but I just want to chip in as well.

I've been doing Hung Gar for just over two years now and it's been expressly stated on multiple occasions that Hung Gar has no groundfighting in the system.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/27/2008 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for stopping by SamboSteve. It's always a plus to have your input where Sambo is concerned.

Hopefully Chrisitian will come back with some good info regarding Isidro and his assistant Manuel.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    1/28/2008 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem Ronin.

Interestingly, there is no Cuban delegation listed on the FIAS webpage...or Cuban team in the last 3 years world championships. This does not mean that he is not a legit sambist or Cuban Champ, but it is interesting indeed.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 1/28/2008 8:24am at .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456