Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hung Gar Groundfighting.... in the forms...

According to Grandmaster Julio Anta, Hung Gar kung fu contains groundfighting techniques hidden in the "Butterfly Palm" form. My understanding is that this form is anyways a Northern Kung Fu form but generally integrated into Hung Gar and taught in most (all?) lineages.

GM Anta:

Anta is a leading member of NAPMA, an organisation that essentially encourages McDojoism. So where there's NAPMA there's virtually always stuff like loads of belt gradings, kiddy black belts, contracts, Black Belt Clubs etc etc.

What he says that I think stinks of bullshido:
    From http://martialartsandfitness.typepad.com/kungfu/
    Quote Originally Posted by http://martialartsandfitness.typepad.com/kungfu/
    Hung Gar is one of the few standup fighting systems that has ground fighting. You could even see the ground fighting in the Butterfly Palms form. This was 300 years before Bruce Lee added grappling to his system and before the Ultimate Challenge popularized mixed martial arts. Hung Gar unlike other martial arts was not developed for sport but for defense and war. This style of kung fu is not soft or flowery like. It is a strong, powerful and aggressive fighting system. Hung Gar has proven itself in the battlefields of China for over 300 years. First fighting invaders and then fighting gangs and drug lords.
    Examples of the Butterfly Palm form from Youtube - shows slightly different variations of the same.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttOf1nf6a4

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0yjzE4KWAA

It may astound you to learn that I did Hung Gar briefly and started learning this set. The version I was taught is about somewhere halfway between the two above examples. I was told that the characteristic move that gives the set its name is the twin palm strike with crossing-steps. Another move in the set was called "cat wiping face" which we drilled as successive tiger-mouth blocks to catch punches for arm locks ("breaks") and counter. Interesting stuff academically but very abstract IMO. And very silly.

On a side note, I think that several other things in that paragraph are extremely dubious:

a) 300 years claim. Surely there is no proof of this time frame for that form, plus it implies incorrect assertion that 'other' grappling is recent occurrence

b) Not flowery claim. Having done Hung Gar a bit, and seen his site, I'd say it's very flowery.

c) Battle proven etc. Where's credible proof of this????

If anyone can suggest the ground fighting techniques in the form, I'd love to see them. The funnier the better.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Ming Loyalist is probably the go-to guy on Bullshido as far as Hung Gar sets go.Maybe he can shed some light on it..
    Authentic Hung Gar is pretty solid stuff..but I'd say this guy is questionable at best.
    Last edited by OZZ; 7/08/2007 10:01pm at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 9:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [sarcasm]He's a Grandmaster, how could he possibly be questionable???? [/sarcasm]

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forget ground fighting is not grappling!

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:32pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trying to find grappling techniques in that form reminds me of those old Magic Eye pictures where you'd have to do all these fucking things just to find some hidden picture. Except in this case there is no hidden picture in the first place and the guy who says that there's a hidden picture is obviously hopped up on some mind altering substance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 11:05pm

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No.
    There is no groundfighting directly represented in any hung gar form. The only techniques in the form this doufus is talkingg about that are remotely close are some leg techniques, such as scissors takedowns and various tripping methods. The form butterfly palm was added very recently in the timeline of that system, during the era (1940-1980?) where damn few of the people who taught it did any real fighting anymore. Best to igonore this dipshit and let him him live in his delusional world as he is far less than an insignificant blip on a much larger radar screen. Sorry folks, the only hung gar schools with any kind of real groundfighting would be ones that cross train in some other art.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 11:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    You forget ground fighting is not grappling!
    I'd agree that he might be using a less common usage of the term groundfighting, but then he does say, in the next sentence of the quote "This was 300 years before Bruce Lee added grappling to his system and before the Ultimate Challenge popularized mixed martial arts" which gives his comment something of a grappling point of reference.

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 11:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LowwerWay
    Best to igonore this dipshit and let him him live in his delusional world as he is far less than an insignificant blip on a much larger radar screen.
    What you're saying fits with my understanding but for this one comment; It's the whole point of this forum not to ignore bullshidoism.

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 12:11am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickcatcher
    According to Grandmaster Julio Anta, Hung Gar kung fu contains groundfighting techniques hidden in the "Butterfly Palm" form. My understanding is that this form is anyways a Northern Kung Fu form but generally integrated into Hung Gar and taught in most (all?) lineages.

GM Anta:

Anta is a leading member of NAPMA, an organisation that essentially encourages McDojoism. So where there's NAPMA there's virtually always stuff like loads of belt gradings, kiddy black belts, contracts, Black Belt Clubs etc etc.

What he says that I think stinks of bullshido:
    From http://martialartsandfitness.typepad.com/kungfu/

Examples of the Butterfly Palm form from Youtube - shows slightly different variations of the same.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttOf1nf6a4

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0yjzE4KWAA

It may astound you to learn that I did Hung Gar briefly and started learning this set. The version I was taught is about somewhere halfway between the two above examples. I was told that the characteristic move that gives the set its name is the twin palm strike with crossing-steps. Another move in the set was called "cat wiping face" which we drilled as successive tiger-mouth blocks to catch punches for arm locks ("breaks") and counter. Interesting stuff academically but very abstract IMO. And very silly.

On a side note, I think that several other things in that paragraph are extremely dubious:

a) 300 years claim. Surely there is no proof of this time frame for that form, plus it implies incorrect assertion that 'other' grappling is recent occurrence

b) Not flowery claim. Having done Hung Gar a bit, and seen his site, I'd say it's very flowery.

c) Battle proven etc. Where's credible proof of this????

If anyone can suggest the ground fighting techniques in the form, I'd love to see them. The funnier the better.
    Well of course! you can see he has the grapple just look at the picture!

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 1:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stuff in those videos are certainly what I would use if I was taking on gangs and drug lords.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast