Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man it's not gay if you respect the other person's sub game

A better question would be why do we rate TV anyway? Who thinks with the ratings?

"Oh, I was going to let my kid watch this wrestling show where Vince McMahon sacrifices his large-breasted half naked daughter to a huge biker named The Undertaker who buries people in coffins, then his former blue blood TV son in law HHH, no longer a puritan and now some sort of biker himself, knocks out the EVIL biker with a pipwrench blessed by the pope after enlisting the assistaince of a bald . . . sort of biker guy...that used to be a glam rocker, but isn't any more because it was the 80s and people experiment RIP stunning steve . . . and then they make X-gestures at his crotch and good triumphs BUT WAIT THIS BIKER IS POWERED BY DAMNED SOULS AND IS GETTING BACK UP OH NO NOT THE SPANISH ANNOUNCE TABLE . . . but it's tv 14...he's 13...what do they mean up next: Bra and panty match?"
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:23pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I let my kids watch pretty much the same **** my parents let me watch.

Seriously, you name a show I can find and older one with more violence. The graphic quality is really the only thing that has gone up. More blood less death.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Violence is not the only possible reason that shirtless men rolling on the floor in a puddle of their own sweat might be considered unsuitable for kiddies.

Oh yeah, I went there.
    Really?

Bugs Bunny was notorious for dressing in drag.

Tom & Jerry is one of the most violent TV shows ever.

This is what most of us grew up watching. The majority of us turned out fine.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane
    We beat the ever-living **** out of each other, got suspended from school for three days, and ended up being friends.

Nothing makes you respect a guy more than if he steps up to the line with you.
    The good ole days.

You had beef, fight, then became boys. One of my best friends and I met that way.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I let my kids watch pretty much the same **** my parents let me watch.

Seriously, you name a show I can find and older one with more violence. The graphic quality is really the only thing that has gone up. More blood less death.
    no doubt

70/80s cop shows were damn violent, they just didn't show sippowitz's ass
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 1:52pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Hence my comment. If the psychologists that say that exposure to TV violence, whether simulated or real, decensitized kids and makes them more prone to violence.
    Parents need to control there kids and stop making lame fucking excuses as to why they have a 13y/o hellion brat in their house. Those are the same type parents who put their kids on Ritalin because they are hyper or have to find some "dissorder" to explain why their kids are anti-social, voilent and failing school.

I don't let my kids watch rasslin because it's flat out retarded and does give them the wrong idea about **** like you can throw a guy off a roof, into a pile of burning barbedwire and he'll be fine. I have younger kids and they don't need to see that. Older kids that pull this backyard xtreme rasslin **** aren't desensitized. They are idiots looking for attention and the next "EXTREME" thing that will get them the attention.

I do let then watch MMA with me because they have an interest in what I do. I haven't taken then to any of my fights yet and I'm not sure I will for a couple more years. At least with the majority of the fights air nowadays you see a lot of sportsmanship and showing of respect. Especially when a guy loses and get's up and gives the winner congrats. Or when a guy KO's somebody and he's the first one there trying to help the guy out. I make an effort to point these things out to my kids.

I could rant on this subject for way too long. But I guess my final view is that kids are kids. They'll do what they want and emulate what they see. It's my job and responsibility as a parent to teach them right from wrong. It isn't the TV's fault if my kid goes to school and chokes some other kid out because he saw it on UFC last night with dad. It's my fucking fault for not teaching him that that kind of behavior is unacceptable.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 2:00pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia the Invincible
    This is what most of us grew up watching. The majority of us turned out fine.
    It's cuz we had parents that put their foot in our ass when we did stoopid ****. We aren't from the "time out" generation. We are from the "you fucked up now your ass is grass" generation.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

All Out of Bubblegum

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bill hicks said it best when he said "I took acid...I thought I could fly...but I tried to take off from the ground because I'm not stupid"

I think all the people that snuff themselves because of devil music/violent tv/video games etc are living proof that some people are looking for a way off the planent, not that the rest of us need to be deprived of the tits, asses, and blood we so crave

I mean, if you let your kid watch TV and don't teach them real from imaginary they are going to learn bad lessons from EVERYTHING on television, right down to the teletubbies (the sun has a baby in it and loves you. If you see a fat guy in a purple suit giggling, he's harmless)

poser

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 5:38pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the other hand, most kids have a surprisingly good sense of real vs. imaginary. I never thought Sesame Street was real, and never learned anything from that show that didn't end up helping me somehow. But it's the newer shows that **** kids up, like Boobah, which is basically an acid trip on TV.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 7:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I just don't think really young kids really have any idea of the consequences of their actions. They just don't think about what happens after they do something. Seeing stuff like UFC and not really knowing that they aren't really trying to break the guy's arm with the armbar (just trying to get him to tap,) and that there are lots of rules for the safety of the fighters that they just have no clue about.

I see the ratings as more of a "Watch it with someone older, preferably an older sibling or parent." That said, there are exceptions in every case and there are plenty of kids who have decent parents who've taught that being an ass begets you getting your ass kicked. They're responsible and know that they probably aren't going to try and choke out his buddy Brian after class.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast