Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 12:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why is MMA "mature content"?

Seriously, I see this on television and on the internet. TV programs are rated TV-14 and internet sites want you to put your age in to see the fights. I have never seen boxing treated this way. I have never seen wrestling treated this way. I have never seen any other sport treated this way. But somehow, just putting together elements of many accepted sports, mixing them up, makes it unsuitable for children.

Why?

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the question shouldn't be why MMA is treated this way but why rasslin and boxing aren't.

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:06pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's too much like a real fight, and they don't want to encourage kids. That, and fighters tend to get cut more. Blood = TV MA.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, they'd rather have thier kids watch wwe get juiced up and kill someone.

poser

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:24pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WWE is TV14 by the way.

Boxing should be rated TV14 as well, and I believe it is on occasion, but it's really all in the MMA marketing. I just saw a Pride ad that said "the most dangerous men in the world..." and with marketing like that, anyone is going to assume it's inappropriate.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling is more humane than beating up each other silly. One guy wins and no permanent damage has been done (except maybe for the ears..). Kids ape anything, and wrestling isn't that bad. It's really a good way to compete with your friends. Strikestan side.. that's a bigger problem. I'd not want to see my kid seeing boxing or MMA and go all out with his/her friends afterwards. (And don't even talk about WWE and all the crazy ideas that could give to kids.) With punches and kicks flying it's far more possible for someone to get seriously hurt.

On a side note, when I was a kid we used to solve issues with friends using no punching or kicking rule fights if we had to fight. Fight ended when someone gave up and admitted defeat. There were very little breaking of the rules. Some spitting and other stupid things did occur, however. How was it when you were children?

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    yeah, they'd rather have thier kids watch wwe get juiced up and kill someone.
    Hence my comment. If the psychologists that say that exposure to TV violence, whether simulated or real, decensitized kids and makes them more prone to violence, which is what the whole idea of the ratings system is based on, then MMA shouldn't be treated any differently from boxing or rasslin. Heck, from the perspective of a parent, I'd much rather my daughter watch MMA when she gets a bit older than rasslin' because MMA doesn't show fake ass **** that you can't do to someone without seriously fucking them up (hitting peopls with chairs, pile drivers, etc) and shows what happens when you do something that will **** somone up (blood, bruises, KOs), so won't create some fantasy sense that violence is without consequenses.
    Last edited by TEA; 7/06/2007 4:40pm at .

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:41pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    How was it when you were children?
    We beat the ever-living **** out of each other, got suspended from school for three days, and ended up being friends.

Nothing makes you respect a guy more than if he steps up to the line with you.
    --
    L.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Violence is not the only possible reason that shirtless men rolling on the floor in a puddle of their own sweat might be considered unsuitable for kiddies.

Oh yeah, I went there.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 11:26am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a lot of parents wouldn't want their kids to see something like this:

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast