7/06/2007 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    **** the body triangle!!!!!!

*snif....

It took me months to learn how to get out of that fucking move. I asked everybody from bjj blackbelts to Combat Submission wrestling. Finally figured it out when we all sat down and broke it down.

Biting helps.
    What did you discover?

The only thing I know to do is hook my knee around their free foot and ankle lock them, but it's the kind of thing people don't tend to get caught with twice. And even if you do tap them with it you feel like a total bitch.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't get it. I have gotten body triangled and didn't think it was a big deal. Part of the game to me. I have tried to do it to others but because of physical limitations I don't. I got it on one skinny kid, he didn't complain.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    using a body triangle to secure your position is cool. using a body triangle as a submission when legal in a tournament is cool. using a body triangle as a submission while rolling in class is not cool.

it's my understanding that you can choke someone out with a body triangle, and you can damage their spine, but there's no fucking reason to squeeze that hard in class. not good for your knees, anyway.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing wrong with it. I think it's a better technique than crossfacing or can-openers. Though tonight I arm-barred someone and his arm smashed my balls while I was breaking it, that cheap ************.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 11:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem with it as a control position (on the back) or used as a submission in competition, if the opponent is soft/injured enough to tap to it. However, when used in training it is definitely not cool.

One of my training partners who had some issues at the time once attempted to repeatedly submit me from guard with a body triangle during a passing/sweeping (no subs) drill, - just to show that he could - about five or ten times over the course of half an hour. Towards the end of that time, I was standing with him body triangling me, and was tempted to slam him headfirst into a nearby pillar - just to show that I could, too.

I don't roll with this training partner anymore.

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:07am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering I am fat with short stubby legs and the other guys in my weight class I roll with in training are also fat I physically couldn't get it without finding a really awkward angle or something and is totally useless either way since it's been illegal in Judo for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

BUT there is one instant where I had the ...privilage?... of having someone try it on me. My best friend joined Judo after I started seio nageing his ass in backyard fights and trampoline sumo matches. When we randori or do newaza it will sometimes turn into a friendly grudge match and he likes to try the body triangle sometimes because he has freakishly long legs but it's never made me feel inclined to tap but it's very uncomfortable.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a backmount only standpoint: as long as you don't try to injure your training partner with it, I don't see what the big deal is. I can only body-triangle skinny people because I have short legs, but I used it to control a few of my training partners this week. I usually have to get slightly off-center of their spine to fully triangle even skinny people. If they succed in turning into me, they (hopefully) get armbarred or triangled the old fashioned way.

Don't clamp the body triangle down on your training partner's ribs or kidneys, and you probably won't be too much of a dick. If you're squeezing more on the side of his/her torso than his/her stomach, either your legs are too short or your technique sucks.

It should be noted that squeezing on the sides is a good tactic for tournaments though. Good pressure on the kidneys sucks more than pressure on the ribs in my opinion. You might even get a tap the first time you try it on someone who doesn't know how to adjust their torso to counter the pressure.

All that said, when people try to body triangle me in guard, I get the urge to elbow them in the face.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:26am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    [B]All that said, when people try to body triangle me in guard, I get the urge to elbow them in the face.
    That is the ONLY instance where I would say that a torquing can opener may be appropriate.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 3:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Torquing a can opener is appropriate whenever somebody wouldn't open their guard to save their life.

I'm a Jerk, evidence:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUPbmyK0rQE

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 6:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    Torquing a can opener is appropriate whenever somebody wouldn't open their guard to save their life.

I'm a Jerk, evidence:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUPbmyK0rQE
    That.... That's MY crappy move. Give it back jerkface.

More seriously, I do this. Same TD that video is from, I did it more than once. The goal at hand was to secure a proper RNC but I'm not exactly disappointed if they tap on the way.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast