Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 8:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patmanpv View Post
    The complaint was made about the price of tuition. Obviously if you live in some small town the demand and price will not be as high. We are not talking about some random other schools in some random other towns, we are talking about relevant schools that the OP has as options. Obviously there are some schools that are cheaper that offer similar quality, are we expecting the OP to pick up and move to where ever these schools are? No, so talking about a cheap, but quality school in "some podunk town" has no relevance to this discussion.

In a given area, there can be multiple competing schools, in most cases the better schools will cost more than the crappy schools. The overarching point being made here is that there is a reason this school charges the price it charges. It is a quality school and the tuition is more than worth it, especially considering the local alternatives. Simply take a look at local Colorado competition results, Easton/McMahon competitors dominate podiums, while the "cheaper" gyms hardly even show up on the results pages.

Long story short, for the most part there is a reason why something is more expensive than similar, "cheaper" products. And to use your designer jean example, they aren't just similar jeans with a special brand name on them, they are generally made from better material and have more intricate design. And I hate the idea of designer jeans... I can't believe I just defended them.
    No, you're fucking ass. This statement right here just cemented what side I would like to grade your actual gym at. You have a biased pov and therefor allow your opinion to be skewed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    No, you're fucking ass. This statement right here just cemented what side I would like to grade your actual gym at. You have a biased pov and therefor allow your opinion to be skewed.
    Classy

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2010 9:41pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Classy
    Classy was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I read your original post and waited. I decided not to say anything and then realized that you're the type of person that gives bjj a bad name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 12:40am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The complaint was made about the price of tuition. Obviously if you live in some small town the demand and price will not be as high. We are not talking about some random other schools in some random other towns, we are talking about relevant schools that the OP has as options. Obviously there are some schools that are cheaper that offer similar quality, are we expecting the OP to pick up and move to where ever these schools are? No, so talking about a cheap, but quality school in "some podunk town" has no relevance to this discussion.

In a given area, there can be multiple competing schools, in most cases the better schools will cost more than the crappy schools. The overarching point being made here is that there is a reason this school charges the price it charges. It is a quality school and the tuition is more than worth it, especially considering the local alternatives. Simply take a look at local Colorado competition results, Easton/McMahon competitors dominate podiums, while the "cheaper" gyms hardly even show up on the results pages.

Long story short, for the most part there is a reason why something is more expensive than similar, "cheaper" products. And to use your designer jean example, they aren't just similar jeans with a special brand name on them, they are generally made from better material and have more intricate design. And I hate the idea of designer jeans... I can't believe I just defended them.
    Again, you use a lot of really broad generalizations. Oh, and you missed the point. At no time did I suggest that the OP pick up and move. I simply made the point that there are a number of reasons why prices are set where they are set, and that quality (however you want to judge it) is not the sole factor. That's it. In the Twin Cities we have a number of high quality martial arts schools/academies/whatever you want to call them. Some are certainly, and objectively, better than others yet there isn't any radical difference in prices when it comes to comparable programs. Although I haven't done any comprehensive analysis, from the people I know who train at other gyms are right in the same ballpark.

Your school charges what it charges because it has found enough people willing to pay that price and keep the doors open. That's it. If your instructors suddenly started sucking, would the prices decrease accordingly? By how much?

Finally, any person who honestly thinks that designer jeans are 5-6 times better then any pair of decent jeans is completely fooling themselves. Are some denims/stitching/design better than others? Sure, but not anywhere near that extreme of a gap. The makers simply have found enough fools with a lot of expendable cash and a gaping hole crying out to be filled with unnecessary and overpriced crap. But hey, if it costs more it must be the best.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/04/2010 1:02am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an off-topic derail of an over 2 year old thread.. Are you going to add anything of use to this thread patmanpv?

If not I have the perfect thread title to this soon to be YMAS thread:
    High Pay = High Quality Instruction Amirite?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213