Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Luo De Xiu

I'm planning on joining a Bagua school taught by students of Luo De Xiu. I was wondering, is he legit? I did shaolin-do for 4 years, so I'm kind of weary of mcdojos. thanks

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:32am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Website link? Who is the head instructor? Where are you located? More info would help and you may want to head over to noobie town and introduce yourself.

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I made an introduction. BTW, I'm in Colorado.

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The head guy of the school is Luo De Xiu, though the people who teach most of the classes are Owen Schilling and Bill Metzgar, who are actually students of one of Luo's students, Marcus Brinkman. I trust Luo's teachers, Hung I Mien and Hung I Xiang, as I've heard great things about them from (fairly) reliable sources, so the person in question here is really Luo De Xiu.
    Last edited by cabaret; 7/05/2007 6:41pm at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 12:38pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't be of much help here as I am not familair with Luo or his teachings. There seem to be several videos of him avaialble on Youtube that you may want to check out. You say that the head of the school is Luo, but from my understanding the head used to be Marcus Brinkman and is now Owen Schilling and Bill Metzgar. Luo was brought in periodically from Taiwan to teach classes but is not there on a daily basis. At least that's how the website read to me.

Being that it's Ba Gua Zhang you may want to ask about this in the CMA styles forums, or at emptyflower. Your chances of finding someone who has actually trained at the school are much better there.

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    k thanks

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luo is absolutely legit as are a good number of his students. Tim Cartmell is a prime example of one of his students. As long as the place you're going to train at spars in does some type of fighting comp. it should be ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 10:17pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would agree that Luo is legit although I can't speak for those students. Since the website claims that they don't teach-for-profit, I would guess that this is anything but a mcdojo (pure speculation).
    Nonetheless, bagua is not the quickest way to become a fighter. If chinese culture is really attractive to you, then taoist arts certainly have it in spades. However, even a really good bagua teacher is going to need several years of really intensive work to turn you into a good fighter.
    If you want the best of both worlds, go train at a good kickboxing/muay thai gym for a year or so and then come back to this. You'll get much more out of bagua if you are already a capable fighter...

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 8:25am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luo is the young chap in Gi with BB demonstrating Ba Gua the Tai Chi episode in the BBC series "The Way of the Warrior" circa 1982. He is on his travels and teaching this weeked in London hosted by (among others) Nick Cumber at Palm Change (www.palmchange.com) and his colleague Matt Biss, who travelled to Taiwan to train under Luo.

Nick and Matt had started under Edward Hines (name checked by Paul Crompton's book about "Pa Kua") who himself travelled to Taiwan to learn Tai Chi and Ba Gua under Luo.

Luo is also name checked by Frantzis in his "The Power of the Internal Arts". Apparently Luo bested him in a contest when only a Green Belt. BKF was already shodan in five Japaneses arts.

I think (but could be wrong) that in training under Hung I Hsiang, the training was Tang Shou Do, followed by Xing Yi, then Ba Gua with Tai Chi (martial) learned after much experience. Well, anyway, that's suggested by the BBC tape and Robert Smith's writing. But what do I know?

I have seen him teach (quite some time ago when his English was non-existent) at a Seminar in London. I was very impressed at his ability to Enter and to direct/manipulate/take control of his training partner. Looked excellent to my then untrained eye (and perhaps I'm not much better now...) anyway, it retrospect it looked bloody great and he can only have got better.

It's a long learning curve so adjust your attitude accordingly. Search out the links in the Palm Change website.

Hopefully I can there myself (casual until I devote some time to it) allowing for tomorrow's start to the Tour de France (now THAT'S Tough).

Every good wish
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast