Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The spider knives are awesome.A friend of mine has one with the wave, its pretty cool.

But...

if you don't want an assisted opener for legal reasons, you might want to re-assess that spider. The wave feature might be considered an assisted open, as it catches on your pocket lip when you pull it, and it opens on its own more or less.

I'm a big fan of Kershaws with the assisted open myself. Something with a Tanto tip, so it can punch through car doors :)

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:03pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most places (all that I know of, assuming there's some I don't...) base their switchblade laws on mechanical opening, gravity opening or, in the cases where balisongs are illegal, momentum opening mechanisms. Of course, in the case of the latter two that means technically they could get you on flip openings with any largish folder.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Wetware, most of the countries I'll be traveling to don't have problems with locking knives, and as for the ones that do, I just don't think it's something I want to compromise on.

I haven't had a chance to try out the Tiny Tighe Breaker, so I'll head to a couple stores over the next week or two to go check on that and the other suggestions you guys have made. Thanks.

By the way, what does everyone think of fine edge vs. combo edge? Would a fine edge be ok to cut through rope or seatbelt?
    Go with the fine edge.

No problem sharpening and as long as it's sharp, no problem with seat belts, ropes, kidneys, tendons, etc, etc, etc.

Your choice on blade material - stainless will roll the edges easier when sharpened to the extreme (say against bone or other harder material), but is less likely to chip - given the same hardness.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stainless will roll the edges easier when
    Just curious what the alternative to stainless is.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are many, some of the best being tool steels.

I prefer A2 and D2, but have access to heat treating.

A good overall link regarding blade materials and types:

http://www.jayfisher.com/Blades.htm#..._are_they_used

For those who work metal:

http://agrussell.com/steel/index.html

I have a Russel that was my father's skinning knife. Still one of my favorites.

Pingo

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 11:07pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the help guys, I just wanted to tell you how things worked out. After trying out a few of the knives that got suggested, I ended up buying the CRKT M16-10KZ (on the left) and Spyderco Delica 4 sans wave (on the right). They cost $13 and $27 respectively new off Ebay.

I'm very happy with both knives. I know the 10KZ is not the best that CRKT has to offer, and I'm not so crazy about the tanto tip, but it was so darn cheap that I couldn't turn it down, and I really, really don't have to give a crap about losing it. I'm also having a bit of trouble with the one-handed opening on the Delica because of my slender, elfin hands, but I think it'll come in time.

Some comparisons and observations:
    The fingerguard on the M16 is very nice, and the grips on both are great.
    The M16 is easier to open normally but causes a lot of fumbling when I try to draw it fast, because it requires the use of the index finger rather than the thumb. The Delica is (thus far) a bit harder to open but doesn't require a lot of finger movement compared to the M16.

The Delica is significantly wider than the M16 when closed, because of the blade design.

Damn though, what have you guys got me into? These things are like Pringles, I'm already eyeing the Boker Trance:

:angry2:
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 7/14/2007 11:14pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 11:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo
    Damn though, what have you guys got me into? These things are like Pringles, I'm already eyeing the Boker Trance
    Heh. I have six or seven reputable folders at this point with a smattering of smaller, lesser quality pocket knives as well.

A friend of mine owes me a few c-notes. Yesterday that bastard brought me the SOG Vulcan instead. The blade is easily twice as thick as any other folder I have, yet it opens smoother than the rest of them combined.

He knows me too well.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2007 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle for now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a Bugei Knive, Hissatu(Sp?) folder. get it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12