Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pingo

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:39pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me pick a knife

I am looking for a daily carry folder that I can use for everyday tasks and that will also be a serviceable for self-defense if it comes down to it. In the next 6 months I will be traveling around about 15-20 different countries as well as a bunch of states, and I want to get something that will be useful and also ok under most of these places' laws. With that in mind, here's what I'm looking for:
    - $125 or less. I don't want to have to worry my ass off about losing or using the thing, but I also don't want to have a hunk of junk that breaks after a few uses.
    - single-hand opening, but no assisted opening or springs.
    - locking liner or frame lock
    - The blade can be at the very most 3", although I'd definitely prefer it to be just under 3" for legality issues.
    - fine edge, or possibly combo-edge. Does the partial serration really add enough functionality that it's worth the more difficult sharpening process?
    - pocket clip, preferably reversible, since I don't know whether tip-up or tip-down will be better.
    - good fingerguard or grip - if I ever need to thrust with the blade, I don't want my fingers running up the blade and getting cut.

At the moment I'm looking pretty hard at the Spyderco Delica. My only concern is slippage if I had to use the thing for stabbing. The Gerber Crusader also looks really good, but I was hoping to get something with a more innocuous name...

Other knives I'm considering:
    CRKT M16 EDC
    CRKT Tiny Tighe Breaker
    CRKT Point Guard
    Benchmade Mini-Griptillian
    Benchmade Griptillian
    Spypderco Robin
    Spyderco Crow

I've done a bit of thread reading, but I'm pretty much a noob to the knife world, so I'd appreciate some more suggestions and input on what I've already picked out. If you think my critertia should be changed, I'd like to hear about that too.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 7/05/2007 11:09am at .

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 1:21am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    smith &wesson SWAT model 50.00$ (sportsman wherehouse/cuttlery world) beautiful knife!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 2:47am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grip surface on the back of the delica should work fine for your purposes. One thing you may need to look at further is the lock. I seem to remember from my time in Europe that some of the countries over there don't even like locking blades. Be sure to double check.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 2:50am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like it , have not held one yet , but according to their history of decent daily carry , and your requirements . I think you may have a winner Have you handled one yet ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 8:36am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Spyderco Delica is a great choice. It's blade length is under 3", which makes it perfectly lawful in just about any state, even the People's Demokratik Republik of New Jerseystan.

Spyderco's customer service is excellent, should you ever have to contact them, and they'll even re-sharpen the serrated ones for free.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have been really happy with this one and you can't beat the price:

http://www.knivesplus.com/KE-1640-Kershaw.HTML

KAI is a good knife maker although this one is made in china, it seems to be fairly high quality and has gotten good reviews. plus for $25 you don't feel bad if you have to toss it in the gutter/river/sewer for whatever reason.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 8:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.knivesplus.com/AL-2UBK2T-Al-Mar.HTML

I've owned a longer version of the above, the Eagle Talon Ultralight, for a few years now and have been very happy with it.

Pingo

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:54pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Wetware, most of the countries I'll be traveling to don't have problems with locking knives, and as for the ones that do, I just don't think it's something I want to compromise on.

I haven't had a chance to try out the Tiny Tighe Breaker, so I'll head to a couple stores over the next week or two to go check on that and the other suggestions you guys have made. Thanks.

By the way, what does everyone think of fine edge vs. combo edge? Would a fine edge be ok to cut through rope or seatbelt?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 9:17pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousFlamingo

By the way, what does everyone think of fine edge vs. combo edge? Would a fine edge be ok to cut through rope or seatbelt?
    A serrated edge would make it easier to get that initial grab, but as long as you have a decent edge on the blade, a plain edge would do fine. Just remember to slice, and not chop, and you would be fine.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do like the m16s as well .

and yeah go either combo or plain edged . If you go combo I would go with a model that has no more than about a 1/3 of the blade serrated .

The only thing I hate about my smith and wesson "24-7" is that the serrations run every bit of half the length of the blade . You may want to check into those , if they still sell them . I got mine three years foe like 28 bucks and I still carry and use it everyday .

it is an ugly fucking little beast but it works .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 7/05/2007 10:00pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast