Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:07am

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Motivation issues (read before insulting, feel free to insult after reading. :P)

Honestly, I had no clue where to put this, but since this is directly connected to my training I guess it would fit here. I may be wrong, though. Anyway, as anyone who saw my fight thread knows, the first time I stepped into the ring in an actual fight I suffered a humiliating defeat that almost caused me to permanently quit boxing (hence the hiatus, needed a break just to get things sorted out). I've been trying to get back into training and finding a new manager since my old one fucked me over, but I have also noticed a good amount of difficulty when it comes to getting the motivation to do so.

I know you lot are probably going to laugh at me for this, and frankly I kind of deserve it (especially the whole "not even making it out of the first round in the first fight and then becoming depressed over it" thing), but I just figured to ask if any of you knew some good ways to get the aforementioned motivation to train back. Please understand that I am not asking for pity, and do not expect it. I'm just asking if any one of you has an idea of how one who has lost the motivation to train could get it back. I mean, it's been almost a month since the fight and I'm still only "thinking" about getting back into it. That's fucking ridiculous!

poser

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:17am

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't want to train, that's your problem, but the best way to get motivated to train is to force yourself to go. After long breaks I tend to lose motivation, too, and the solution is always to just go. If it doesn't work, it probably means you shouldn't train at all.

But not training because of losing? Unless you had a concussion I see no reason not to be back in the gym as soon as you're recovered, training for your next fight. Everyone has an embarrassing loss at one point. Note that Bas Rutten was summarily whupped by Ken Shamrock in Pancrase, and yet he's still an MMA god. So maybe you already have your answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:49am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just think about what went wrong in the fight. Focus on training evasions, parries and blocks. Do more speedbag work, if you neglected to keep your hands up. Spar more. I read the other thread and you said you hit your opponent and stunned him with a single punch. You obviously have knockout power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also got knocked down by one of his punches at literally the same time, though I got up quickly, for what it's worth. It was more a psychological blow than a physical one (physically his punches hurt, but I wasn't injured at all), by the time coach threw in the towel I was so enraged and humiliated I almost suckerpunched the opponent when he offered a handshake. That was why I got so upset, I didn't even get out of the first round and it made me doubt not only my skill, but my ability to as much as take a punch. Actually, sometimes the ref stepped in because I just shelled up and took the shots on the arms (refs step in with eight counts for everything in amateur boxing it seems, just let the fighters fight!)

You guys do have good points though, thanks.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:55am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I read your other posts correctly, you're only fifteen. You put your balls on the line and they got crunched, but you actually did what the hardest thing to do is- step up. There's plenty of cliches out there about defeat being the true test of a warrior etc., but there is some truth to it. Ninety percent of the guys out there your age are fixated on video games (US) or mopeds (Europe), so you're ahead of the game already.

You said your manager fucked you over. Since I don't have any more info here I can't say if that's true or not, but I have seen a lot of people fight and thought "WTF were they thinking?" based on their opponent. I remember seeing someone on here who went up against someone with a record of like 42-7 on his first fight, gee guess what happened. "You have a shot kid!"

In your other thread, you said your weight was abnormally low and that it took a long time to find another fighter in your weight class. I would suspect this played into what happened on too levels- creating a mismatch and being hampered by the fact you're too darn skinny.

I would not stop all training cold turkey. Since you obviously have the spirit and dedication to get into the ring it would be a shame to waste it.

If, however, you are taking some time off from boxing, then you need to get to work on your body. Lifting will make you feel great, build back confidence, keep you moving forward, and address your weight issues. Lift and eat, lift and eat, lift and eat and do it right- check out the threads and tips in the physical forum and post more about your own challenges. You said in another thread you have a hard time gaining weight, metabolism, etc. It sucks but you can overcome it, and using this time to go balls to the wall* in the gym will give you the feeling of progress while addressing a real need.

*most overused bodybuilding/lifting phrase in history

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I guess I have to clear up some things. I was two pounds heavier than the opponent by the day of the fight. Also, my main problem right now is that I am trying to get back into training (I took a break after the fight, not now) but I'm having difficulty in getting motivated and convinced that I can actually win a fight, was so bad that I had to ask for help. That aside, you're right in that I'm fifteen (in fact, I needed the break from training anyway, win or lose, because my final exams were starting in about two days, tops). Coach screwed me over in that he just plain didn't train me to fight at all, didn't tell me ANYTHING about my opponent until a few days before, and then nothing that I could actually work with. He just had me shadowbox, run, and do bagwork. Nothing that actually was preparing me for the fight. He could have at least told me about how fast and strong the kid's punches were, or that he had the exact same basic style as I did, or anything that would have let me be prepared.

Unfortunately, I made sure to delete the video after getting home from the debacle. If I hadn't, I would have had it posted up by now, I think.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only info i got when i asked my coach who i was fighting was that he was 500 pounds, 8 foot tall and had 4 arms. still, your trainer sounds like he sucks, go find a good one. and stop being a bitch about losing a fight ffs, my first smoker i got smashed. who gives a ****.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 12:58am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA HA LOLZ U = F4g0t!!!

Honestly, just pick youself up, dust yourself off, and get back into it. Self pity is the root of all human weakness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 1:39am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look into the book Learned Optimism. I have no idea who it is by but is pretty old and is considered one of the pillar stones of sports physcology. Actually get any book that deals with sports physcology and you will find answers quickly.

Basically when hit with a set back some people get motivated and try harder to succeed and other doubt themselves and hence fall further back. You want to be in the first group and there are various ways in which to become optimistic.

http://www.amazon.com/Learned-Optimi.../dp/0671019112 - here is a link to the amazon page for Learned Optimism

http://www.mindtools.com/page11.html - Useful page on sports physcology in general

http://www.shearonforschools.com/learned_optimism.htm - havent read it but looks relevant