Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Brothers, help. Please critique my deadlift vidclip (updated regularly... for now:P)

Brothers, I need your help. I asked my g/f to film me while doing a DL this last Sunday. One of my nephews asked me if I had a vid clip, and so I got this. I was originally trying to lift 355lbs (345lbs is my current max), but my grips gave up (I hate straps, btw).

So I reverted to 305lbs (can usually do 3 reps with it). So far so good. I was tired since I deadlifted the day before (stupid me) - but at least I got my clip.

However, when I looked at it a second time, I think I saw a problem. I don't think I'm bringing my hips low enough. I need an impartial view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53h4OiPaff8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53h4OiPaff8

My goal is to try to increase my max lift in the next 6-8 weeks. I'm gonna go for 355-365lbs this coming Sunday. 400lbs is my goal at some point. My stats are 5'6" and 160lbs.

Please critique, or LOL @ me, all for good fun. Any help to improve my lift (or to avoid fucking up my back) will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/09/2007 1:37pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 5:19pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 1:04 the chick doing curls checks you out.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 5:56pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you seriously under-hipped that first attempt. Your back was past horizontal before the weight started to move, and your legs were just about locked out.

Your form is actually better with the lighter weight. Try again next week.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta ask;

Do you have a number in mind at which you will be satisfied with maintenance; or possibly just extra reps?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 6:59pm

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'll echo what everyone else is saying. When you were preparing to lift, your hips were nice and low and it looked like you had good angles for the lift, but the minute you actually started pulling, your listed forward a little and your ass shifted forward and up a bit. I'm pretty sure this movement is a normal part of the lift, but I'm not sure how much movement is within the margin of tolerance for perfect form.

Overall though, it looks like a great deadlift. Do you think it might be a strength issue and not a form issue? I don't know a whole lot about this, but I suspect that when your deadlift gets really heavy - like, more twice your body weight - the sticky points might be due to specific muscle groups not being strong enough. One time at the gym, these really strong dudes were using this set of stacking boards underneath their weights to move the bar up from the ground an inch at a time and then deadlifting off these little platforms instead of the ground. I asked them about it and they told me that they were trying to isolate specific sections of the pull that they were having trouble with and training up those specific sections. Now, I don't know how seriously to take these guys, but I don't see anything obviously wrong about this approach. And they were deadlifting huge amounts of weight, so they can't have been complete buffoons.

Also, a little more lumbar flexion couldn't hurt.

edit: you also should have talked to that woman in the background and set her straight about her crappy bicep curls
    Last edited by nerveasian; 7/03/2007 7:02pm at .

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    At 1:04 the chick doing curls checks you out.
    Ha! Most likely she's thinking "who's this weirdo that's filming himself" :tongue6:

Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    Look up. First lift you looked right at the ground even though your chin was up. That always fucks up my lifts if I look down.
    ****, I didn't caught that at all until now. I gotta make a note of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    I think you seriously under-hipped that first attempt. Your back was past horizontal before the weight started to move, and your legs were just about locked out.

Your form is actually better with the lighter weight. Try again next week.
    Thanks as well, dude. When I lifted the 345 the day prior I was with someone that was correcting me at every step. It's so much better to workout with a partner. I'm really looking forward to my next try :)

I was still looking down with the lighter weight, though :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I gotta ask;

Do you have a number in mind at which you will be satisfied with maintenance; or possibly just extra reps?
    That's a good question Cullion. I wouldn't know how to answer that. I'm still one month off MA training (at least, depending what the doc tell me in two weeks). It's boring the crap out of me. So I guess I have this nebulous goal to see how much progress I can make in these few weeks in which I'm not doing anything else.

The guy that was spotting me on Saturday used to do olympic weightlifting and powerlifting and he thought it's possible I could reach 1 rep of 400lbs in 2 months. I really don't know him well so he may be full of it, but his comments got me thinking. It's just something to look forward to.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nerveasian
    Yeah, I'll echo what everyone else is saying. When you were preparing to lift, your hips were nice and low and it looked like you had good angles for the lift, but the minute you actually started pulling, your listed forward a little and your ass shifted forward and up a bit. I'm pretty sure this movement is a normal part of the lift, but I'm not sure how much movement is within the margin of tolerance for perfect form.

Overall though, it looks like a great deadlift. Do you think it might be a strength issue and not a form issue?
    Could be. I don't really feel much stress on my legs or back, but my grips are my weakest point. With my prev. attempt, my hands were almost opening up when I was putting the weight down.

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I suspect that when your deadlift gets really heavy - like, more twice your body weight - the sticky points might be due to specific muscle groups not being strong enough. One time at the gym, these really strong dudes were using this set of stacking boards underneath their weights to move the bar up from the ground an inch at a time and then deadlifting off these little platforms instead of the ground. I asked them about it and they told me that they were trying to isolate specific sections of the pull that they were having trouble with and training up those specific sections. Now, I don't know how seriously to take these guys, but I don't see anything obviously wrong about this approach. And they were deadlifting huge amounts of weight, so they can't have been complete buffoons.

Also, a little more lumbar flexion couldn't hurt.
    That approach (the stacking boards) sound like a good idea. Another thing I've been doing is to use a snatch grip (as wide as possible) with lower weights. The weight is low enough to handle, but the snatch grip forces me to come up from a lower position.

edit: you also should have talked to that woman in the background and set her straight about her crappy bicep curls
    He, if I've done that, my g/f would have drop the camera and throw a plate at me or something. :tongue3:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:27pm

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Could be. I don't really feel much stress on my legs or back, but my grips are my weakest point. With my prev. attempt, my hands were almost opening up when I was putting the weight down.

That approach (the stacking boards) sound like a good idea. Another thing I've been doing is to use a snatch grip (as wide as possible) with lower weights. The weight is low enough to handle, but the snatch grip forces me to come up from a lower position.

He, if I've done that, my g/f would have drop the camera and throw a plate at me or something. :tongue3:
    Have you considered GEARING UP!!!!!!11 seriously though, there's no shame in using straps for a 2x bodyweight deadlift.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 8:43pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head up and hips under. Not a bad effort though. I have heard of a similar approach as the stacking boards by hardcore deadlifters. Ever looked into using chalk. Improves your ability to grip things exponetially.

It is your moral duty to tell that nice lady doing bicep curls that she is doing them wrong and should start doing them in the power rack. Only way to do them in my book.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast