Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Appendectomy

Hey everyone. I had to have an emergency laproscopic appendectomy saturday evening, and while I'm healing quite nicely, my doctors said I would have to take it easy for a while, and no hard exercise for at least a month. Now, I trust their professional medical opinion, but I was looking for some personal anecdotes.

If you had your appendix out, how long did it take you to get back into training. Did you think that fear of busting your sutures caused you to hold back in your training? I box, so how long do you think before I can train again, and how long until I can spar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:14pm

Style: Getting mounted

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A month seems excessive, but I'm not a trained medical professional...like your doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 5:10am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you find your guts squirting out of the hole, you may be training too hard or early.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 10:40pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually a month for resuming training sounds right on the money. But, I didn't have a laproscopic procedure when I had mine out so there was a significant incision to be cautious of. But think about it, almost anything you do exercise-wise will often involve tensing up and holding/pressurizing your abs. You have a hole through your ab wall. This hole is trying to close and you're stressing it while training. I'd certainly advise taking it easy, but again if I'd had a lap procedure I might've been back into it sooner.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gotta heal up so your chi don't leak out. Get well soon and follow your doc's advice, better off without a setback.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 11:35pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should keep medical advice to yourself then.......
    Quote Originally Posted by nerveasian
    A month seems excessive, but I'm not a trained medical professional...like your doctor.

As for the month of recoup time recomended your doc, it's dead on. And a month is an express recomendation in this day of hurry and rush health care. Plus, they are giving this "month heal time" out as a blanket recomendation and people who participate in highly physical (especially contact) exercise aren't included in this precaution.

You have a, for lack of better terms, an internal injury. This isn't something to rush for many reasons. For instance, internal injuries (lacerations and what not) take longer to heal, you cna't see the progress of your healing and internal bleeding is a bitch.

Now I am no doctor but am trained in combat medicine and have used that training. Venting on here is kewl but listen to your doctor.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 10:14am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they told me a month, I'd consider taking 6 weeks. Like posted above, there isn't a lot of feed back on an internal ab injury being reaggravated the way there is on a limb. You try to come back on an ankle or shoulder too quick, you usually know whether that was a mistake with in seconds, with the only additional damage being minor to moderate pain. An internal injury might not show up until you're light headed, down 4 pints of bloodand passing out in the shower in a pool of you're own fecal matter (happened to a room mate I had).

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 11:02am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The shitting himself part was a bit over the top but good analogy anyways..........

And on that note, WTF was wrong with your roomie??? Crapping oneself isn't usually accomplished by simply passing out. Did he have the trotskies or what not?? You don't usually loose control of your sphincter until death when the entire body relaxes (or until your old and have to wear depends on the golf course or after years of extreme anal pleasures and your corn hole looks like a baboons ass on bad meth)
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 2:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm healing pretty well, and I have an appointment with my surgeon wednesday, and I'll ask him for more info then. Until then, I'm relaxing, and making the most of my vicodin presciption.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 3:24pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be careful. I did not listen to my doctor when I had mine take out. I had to get a second surgery to repair the hernia I caused. Lucky I was a kid and bounced right back.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast