Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 7:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foolperson
    i may be wrong but you don't seem to have any control over your kick and are just going for sheer power. From looking at that it looks as though you would flying of in a big twirl if the bag were moved. Apply this to a kicking a person, if they just step out of the way you're going to keep going and end up with your back facing them.
    in muay thai when kicking correctly at full power, u will spin around 360 degrees if u miss the kick.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 7:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate, ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by buuface
    in muay thai when kicking correctly at full power, u will spin around 360 degrees if u miss the kick.
    fair enough, I guess that works, not something I fancy doing either way though no matter how good/fast you get at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 7:53am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by buuface
    Do people actually do this? I think I've read some conflicting opinions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 7:55am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ/Boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your pad holder is'nt holding the pad properly for a Mid kick, he is holding it for a high kick, you should have him hold it near his waist and he should have two of them. Then you need to step out to a slight angle bend your knee towrds your opponent rotate your shoulders and hips into the kick as you do this you should be on the ball of the foot of the supporting leg. Bring your kickin hand down in a circular motion for momentum, and bring your non kicking hand up ward in a circular motion to the outside of your jaw..... that is all I can think of, if I can get my hands on a camera this weekend, i will post a vid, of what i belive is a proper Thai roundhouse kick....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 9:37am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonetsu
    Compared to the dead weight of your entire body, that is right.
    Force is not only mass, but acceleration, and as such, the contribution of the arm's weight is virtually zero, considering the rest of the body.

However, the argument that the arm doesn't add anything to the total amount of force would make sense if people were advocating to throw the right hand IN THE DIRECTION OF THE KICK (to accelerate its weight alongside the rest of the body).

Instead, the argument is to throw that hand IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, for stability (as a cat's or kangaroo's tail would), ergo adding to the power. (see clip below at mark 1:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YpCcJ2SnDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YpCcJ2SnDs

Quote Originally Posted by jeansberg
    Do people actually do this? I think I've read some conflicting opinions.
    Happens a lot. See Marvin Eastman vs Belfort. Of course, Eastman got his ass kicked, but he pivots a couple of times after sending some kicks with real bad intentions. I recently watched a re-run of K1 (don't remember which year), and it happened a couple of times. I'd gather people who do that are not the clumsy type who open themselves just like that for not having any form of control over their bodies.

See clip above at mark 1:29 and 2:23.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget with great speed comes great power not the other way around, so work on your speed, we are only born with so many Fast Twitch muscle fibers some more than others. You can't really get faster persay, but you can make the techniques easier to throw, which in turn means you can deliver them more quickly. I use this method by strapping 5 lbs ankle weights on and kicking the heavy bag for 2-3 2min rounds a night, it really helps, same thing as training with 16Oz gloves, and then putting on the MMA gloves, Techniques are all about muscle memory as well, this means the more you train them the easier they are to throw as well, hope this helps a little bit, I know it works for me...

Masta

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 7:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Anderson Bushi Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Instead, the argument is to throw that hand IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, for stability (as a cat's or kangaroo's tail would), ergo adding to the power. (see clip below at mark 1:08)
    That is undoubtably true, however there are other ways to ensure stability that don't leave the face expossed. I know I'm harping on it, but the drop of dead weight is the best stabiliser for the kick... and if your hand is left behind it will displace some of the generated energy behind you, which makes the kick weaker.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't believe the "counter balance" argument is the best reasoning for the arm positioning of a thai kick. The reason I've observed for throwing the hand out (though not necessarily down) is to widen the shoulders, thus creating more room to thrust out the hips. Keeping the hands in guard hinders this and stifles the motion of the kick.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2007 10:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Anderson Bushi Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just gone and thrown a few dozen kicks into my bag and the only way I feel what you are saying is if I maintain a reverse guard, that being if I don't change my hands over as my kicking foot becomes the leading foot... in that case my shouldler is about five degrees out... I change my guard as I kick and my shoulder is in the same position guarded or arm thrown out.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast