Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:55am

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    Turn your hip in more and keep your right hand up at least if not both

That's really a matter of opinion, as I have been taught both, depending on the club and instructor. What most people seem to agree on is that the hand on the side with which you kick comes down for more power, the way a cat uses its tail for balance and power. This also helps turn your hips over for a proper Thai front round.

However, if you are throwing the same kick up-close, you want to modify your technique. Keep the rear hand up, and don't turn your hips as much. This brings your round(almost straight) up into your opponents ribs, while protecting your head. It's a quick kick that is found more in non-Thai kickboxing, but it can be more effective than the traditional Thai front round if you're at a loose punching range, and see an opening into your opponents ribs.

I'm sure there are those here that would disagree with me on this, but I've provided my rationale, and would always be interested in modifying my opinion on the matter if it was refuted convincingly.

software engineer

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You keep your head still at the apex of the kick, and also have your hand opposite to the kick way down when the kick lands. Basically, you're timing your guard movement too early, and wasting some of the counterbalancing potential while also exposing your head. I'd suggest your partner to poke at your face with the other pad to keep you honest.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks good but like others my have mentioned when your right shin hits the pad your left arm should be blocking you face and your right arm should be down fast your hip to help give you more power. Also your shin should hit the had at least level if not at a slightly downward angle. Keep practicing it looks good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 9:29am

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Your friend is holding the pad wrong

2. You're "prawning" as you kick.

3. The camera angle is cutting off the view, so I can't say beyond a reasonable doubt, but you do not appear to be rotating properly, especially on your left kick. However, your right kick does seem to have some power....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 1:06am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    That's really a matter of opinion, as I have been taught both, depending on the club and instructor. What most people seem to agree on is that the hand on the side with which you kick comes down for more power, the way a cat uses its tail for balance and power. This also helps turn your hips over for a proper Thai front round.

However, if you are throwing the same kick up-close, you want to modify your technique. Keep the rear hand up, and don't turn your hips as much. This brings your round(almost straight) up into your opponents ribs, while protecting your head. It's a quick kick that is found more in non-Thai kickboxing, but it can be more effective than the traditional Thai front round if you're at a loose punching range, and see an opening into your opponents ribs.

I'm sure there are those here that would disagree with me on this, but I've provided my rationale, and would always be interested in modifying my opinion on the matter if it was refuted convincingly.
    Good point, I meant his left more than anything, but you are correct, my coach teaches hands up, right arm does counter balance with a quick retraction but, back to guard asap, versus the more traditional MT approach.

original post edited
    Last edited by snowman; 7/04/2007 1:09am at .

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 1:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone keeps saying to turn your hips into it, but here's how to do it:

Make sure your foot actually gets at least 2" above your target at its apex
    leave your knee bent a tiny bit longer
    let your knee pass the target just before your shin hits it
    as your knee passes the target, try to point your still slightly bent knee at the ground.

This makes your shin into a different sort of weapon. What you're doing is basically just throwing a really hard chambered roundhouse and hitting with your shin - they really are two different kicks that have similar paths.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're folding your body as you kick, which ends up with you leaving your hip behind which results in a less weighted kick. Thrust your hip outwards as you kick.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 9:01am

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO the most urgent thing to fix is the dropping of the rear hand(the one on the opposite side to the kicking leg). thats the fault that will get u whacked if u try to spar with your roundhouse as it is.

technique and power wise as the above posters have said. just remember that the majority of the power of the kick doesnt come from the leg swinging in the air. it comes from the grounded foot and your hips rotating.

edit: rewatched vid. perhaps try a lower height to start with. you seem to be struggling a little to get up that high, especially on the left side(hence the curling of your back as you kick). that might help you get the technique clean first.
    Last edited by mijuil; 7/04/2007 9:06am at .

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 10:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyph
    I see what it is! I watched it over and over and could not place what I saw was wrong. Then I had it. You are kicking at the target not through it. The key is to kick past the target. Roll you hips into the kick., they should be turned over before the foot hits when kicking that high. I will try to get some vids tomorrow.
    Later,
    Zyph
    Yes.

I don't know any Muay Thai schools in Hawai'i, but if you are in Honolulu, James Kim at Pacific Tae Kwon Do does Muay Thai and would most likely enjoy sparring with you a bit. They do a lot of kicking drills at PTKD, and even though its not MT, they work a lot on power and speed through good form, relaxing, kicking through your target, and turning your hip. Hogu drills with those guys can be pretty painful if your abs aren't up to snuff.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 10:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    you're folding your body as you kick, which ends up with you leaving your hip behind which results in a less weighted kick. Thrust your hip outwards as you kick.
    That is a really great analysis. I haven't heard the "folding your body" thing before. Usually I hear it as "sticking you ass out," but it kind of adds up to the same thing.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast