Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 9:33am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my club in Pittsburgh, we train both Judo and BJJ. Two classes a week, the first hour is Judo, and the second BJJ. A couple of our BJJ blues are extremely competitive Judo black belts. Their take-downs, and the dominant positions in which they land when they take you down are sick. Those guys inspire me to work on my Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 9:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only time I have run into trouble was when I was training at a very traditional judo club due to an unforeseen and sudden relocation. They were not cool with me training in a gameness gi and made me use one without patches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 10:39am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gi, in general, are overpriced piles of stylized underclothing. You are wasting money if you don't get them as cheaply as possible. Ebay is great.

There is no reason a gi should cost as much as the first suit I bought when I got out of college.

Gi, and requirements about them, is Bullshido pure and simple.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 1:19pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you spent a lot of time competing in judo? Because I've found my cheap kwon gi can be held onto like superglue, Its horrible for me. Yet good gi I paid over 100 bucks for is a lot harder to hold on to and makes my life much easier.

Requirements are really necessary for even competition.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there anyone who uses the Mizuno double weave gi for both Judo an BJJ?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use my mizuno for both. I call it my anti-grappling gi. In bjj it is so difficult to hold onto you'd think I was some bjj king.

I did get scolded for wearing my atama gi with the flags on the shoulders for a judo competition. I just told the ref I wasn't planning on competing until 10 minutes ago and it was the only gi I had in my car.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 2:06pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Have you spent a lot of time competing in judo? Because I've found my cheap kwon gi can be held onto like superglue, Its horrible for me. Yet good gi I paid over 100 bucks for is a lot harder to hold on to and makes my life much easier.

Requirements are really necessary for even competition.
    No. I don't practice or compete in judo. My comments are strictly about gi.

You are the first person in 25 years I've heard come up with a good reason for wearing an expensive gi. If the advantage in breaking grips is worth $100+ then its money well spent.

Everyone else can wear sweats and T-shirts

Mark

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/06/2007 9:29pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree there, there is no reason to buy a expensive gi if you do not compete. In fact I"m in the process of putting together a club at my college for judo/bjj. I am not going to require a gi for the bjj part. The judo part however obviously requires a gi. But I'm not going to force anything on them, I'm going to offer a few choices I think are worth while under 80.00, but they are free to head online and buy the super cheap stuff.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 9:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Is there anyone who uses the Mizuno double weave gi for both Judo an BJJ?
    Me! I honestly don't think the gi makes a HUGE difference except:

* If you are very fat, and you like to squeeze into a very small gi, and that makes you hard to grip. I hate these people.

* I started Judo with a very very cheap Kwon single weave. The sleeves stayed long and over my wrists, while the body of the gi shrank until it was illegal. I then had to buy a new gi. Double weave will probably also last a lot longer, I can't personally say for sure since I stopped using single weave.

* There are some uber-hard to grip (Dax MOSKITO) gis which give a /bit/ of an advantage, and are not too expensive. Is it going to make up for the fact that the other guy has been doing a lot more judo than you? Probably not. Some people have complained that the extremely thick judo (anti gripping) lapels make it more difficult to apply chokes.

* Different manufacturers cut their gis differently. Adidas is said to make gis for the skinny competitors. My Moskito was clearly cut for an ENORMOUS GERMAN MAN. My Toraki fits me juuust right (OK, maybe a little small). My Mizuno does OK.

Actually, HSU Judo makes a good gi, for cheap, and they'll give club discounts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2007 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sweat like a pig when I work out. I bought a gameness pearl gi, which is a light weave, with a rubber collar that does not suck up sweat. The pearl weave is fairly light, which given how much I sweat, I consider to be well worth the money. My cheaper judogi felt like it sucked up an additional 10lbs of sweat by about mid practice.

Don't spend time obsessing about anyone's choice of practice attire. Buy the gi you want, whether it's a mega cheapy, or a super expensive one. Once you're dressed for practice, train hard, full stop.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast