Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/04/2007 4:02am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got injured and was out for 2 weeks, Monday and Tuesday was my first day back for Boxing and Judo:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56175

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 12:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by death pig
    I agree, SSRI's are over-prescribed these days. A person really needs the advice of a qualified mental health professional. I would recommend a MD who is trained in CBT techniques, rather than a psychologist. Some people really do need medication, though. It depends on the severity of the depression. I have been hospitalised in my darkest days and without the benefit of meds, things may have ended in a very ugly way.
    i totally agree that some people really need the meds. my sister was unable to leave her house due to panic attacks. without the meds, she would never have been able to get her life back. my issue is that, rather than using the drugs as a tool, she now uses them as a crutch. there is no attempt to get off of them, or reduce her dosage.

interesting thoughts on only seeing an MD. i have heard (anecdotal evidence only) that MDs are far more likely to prescribe drugs than psychologists, on account of how easy it is for them (psychs have to go through your PCP). but i suppose any MD that has experience with CBT would leave that as an option.

and for the record, my bout with depression was related to actual occurances in my life, rather than a chemical imbalance or anything like that, and i was not suicidal. so i don't mean to knock anyone who goes the drug route. many times it can be the difference between life or death.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 1:35pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I described how training waaaay too much helped keep my OCD under control.

LI GUY 1 commented:

Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    Does anyone else find this funny?
    There's alot funnier stuff about OCD. From my locking/unlocking/relocking the door to make sure its closed, to wiggling the knobs on the stove to make sure they are off to checking under the cars in a locked garage to make sure a serial killer wasn't underneath.

So the treatment for OCD is to go OCD on working out? Right......
    If that's what it sounded like I was saying then I didn't express myself clearly. Try this:

They think OCD can be caused by too little serotonin floating around in the brain. One thing that makes serotonin more available (and I don't understand how or why) is exercise. Consequently, the more exercise, the better I felt.

You could only call it a 'treatment' in the very broadest sense of the word and it didn't scale well - eventually the 6 day a week routine failed to make me feel better.

CBT and medication has proven alot more effective in my case.

Mark

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 7:20pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ojg, when my orthopedist initially said I could get paralyzed if my bulging disc got displaced a little further, I took 9 months off of combat sports. No BJJ, no boxing, nothing.

I was very unhappy, on top of the fact my job started to suck and my then-gf and I were having problems. They all combined into a bad funk.

The palliative solution I came up with was to buy myself a fancy training toy and a new seat for my bicycle, and did hardcore cycling intervals just to feel the thrill of exertion and the adrenaline of near-collisions on a crowded lakefront path.

It did the trick. I don't know why you have such long intervals between training, but there are conditioning exercises you can do to stay in shape and to stay active. Even if you have no access to a gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 9:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    For some reason I get depressed when I go too long without training. Is this normal, could I be normally depressed and the training is keeping me normal.
    Actually happens with me too. My mind gets a chance to think all kinds of fucked up **** that gets me anxious and depressed if I ever let it rest too long. Kind of like philosophical/religious/meaning of life stuff. It runs in my family, I have an uncle who was shipped off to an insaneasylum (or whatever theyre called nowadays) for months after taking a philosophy course in university. Unfortunately he didnt counter his mind with obsessive weight training/BJJ so it just kicked his ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 3:33am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happens with most people. More than 1 day off from working out and I don't feel "quite right," 3+ I get mood swings.

You have all sorts of pent up energy with little release, suddenly there's a couple hours where your workout normally is, you aren't getting the endorphins that exercise releases, etc. etc.

An injury just compounds it exponentially because there's always the possibility that it's so bad you might not be able to come back. And while some people push through this, if it's a really serious injury you know in your heart you'll never be the athlete you could've been if you weren't injured.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 9:50am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't been to training since last tuesday (yay overtime) and WILL go tonight...I positively NEED it by now. So yeah, doesn't sound like you're that odd.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 1:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I don't workout at least twice a week I get all irritable and short tempered. So, par for the course.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123