Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Depression during training hiatus

For some reason I get depressed when I go too long without training. Is this normal, could I be normally depressed and the training is keeping me normal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 4:11pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chopper says "Harden the **** up"
    Seriously though, I get that too. For me training is such a huge part of my life I don't know what to do with myself on "off days." I think Rickson said it best "I find it very hard to understand myself without jiu jitsu." I've just accepted it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 4:11pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    For some reason I get depressed when I go too long without training. Is this normal,
    Exercise does cause certain chemicals to be spewed into the bloodstream. I think one of them is related to feelings of well being. I've heard anecdotes of marathoners and ultra marathoners who will feel down when they skip training and I attribute it to their bodies scaling back the production of these chemicals leading to kind of a withdrawl.

could I be normally depressed and the training is keeping me normal.
    Possibly. Don't screw around with this; go to a mental health professional.

I have obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). I was untreated for years. One of the things that helped was regular exercise - but regular for me was 6-7 days a week.

Eventually, that wasn't enough. Also, I would have moderate outbreaks during periods when I was injured and could not train.

After waaaaaaaaay too long I got help. I still train 6 days a week, but I do it for myself and to meet my own goals - not because I HAVE to.

Don't screw with this. Talk to someone.

Mark

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 4:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have been off for about a month with a hand injury. Have been going to the pub when I normally train, getting fat as **** and going completely spare. In theory, getting laid would probably help, but the fat drunkenness isn't exactly conducive to it...

I have no helpful advice whatsoever, as you can probably tell.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 12:49am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    For some reason I get depressed when I go too long without training. Is this normal, could I be normally depressed and the training is keeping me normal.
    If it's serious enough for you to ask about it, then it could be a problem. The fact that training makes you feel good is great, but I think your second sentence hints that simply missing training might not be the whole problem.

Things you want to think about-
    Are you taking any supplements or medications when you train that you aren't when you don't, or that you recently stopped?

Have you been to your physician lately? You probably want to get your hormone levels, blood sugar, etc. tested if they aren't regularly.

Do you have any family history of depression, or alchoholism/substance abuse? If you do, you could be at risk.

It could be the simple lack of endorphins from training as jusz said, but even if this is the case the fact that you feel the difference so acutely is something to watch out for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 5:08am

Style: Boxing & Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suffer from depression (medicated too) and if I don't get some exercise every day I quickly start to turn into a bit of a wreck. It definitely keeps me on an even keel. A good therapist will be able to tell you very quickly if you have a problem or not, garden variety depressives are a dime a dozen these days.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's natural to feel depression when you don't/can't train. You train because you love it, and perhaps you use it as a valve, escape or distraction from everyday crap - I know I do. I've been off training for over 3 months, and it's fucking depressing. It was driving me off the walls, but I've been trying to lift (in a way that doesn't hurt my elbows) to keep my mind from frying.

Alternative workouts (whenever possible) or other positive activities should help deal with feelings of depression (whenever those feelings are manageable.) For anything more severe, you should consult a doctor - if you feel depression is getting out of hand. That crap is real (I had a serious case of depression back in 2001).

If it worries you a lot, you should consult your doctor, a counselor, a close friend (someone you can trust), perhaps your martial arts instructor (if you have a good, close relationship with him), family, or even a priest or minister (many ministers have experience helping with people with depression and other issues.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 8:56am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3-4 days without lifting puts me in a bad mood. Of course dealing with my Sergeant has the same effect.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 9:42am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perfectly natural feeling. What you need to watch out for is waking up with your wife/gf in an armbar on night.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 9:58am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkartigue
    What you need to watch out for is waking up with your wife/gf in an armbar on night.
    Ok. Confession time.

After a real hard training session, who else does this? When I'm falling asleep, my mind will replay the sparring I did. Sometimes, my arm or leg will twitch as though I'm punching or kicking.

My wife has gotten used to this and, since I sleep on my back its no big deal. I'm "punching" or "kicking" towards the ceiling.

So one night, as I was falling asleep, I dreamt the guy charged me. So I sidestepped. Now, I'm not sure how I sidestepped while laying flat on my back and not being able to push off the floor, but I almost bumped my wife out of bed.

Mark
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast