Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shaolin Lomita

http://www.shaolinlomita.com/

Anyone with Chinese MA experience have knowledge / worthwhile opinions about this school in Lomita CA? Website has a little too much cosplay, ads for "alternative medicine," and some not-too-over-the-top religious stuff, but there's no obvious sign of bullshido. One of the instructors teaches a course at East LA college that I am thinking of checking out. Other East LA College classes include one taught by a "36th generation Shaolin martial monk," (*not* affiliated with this school in Lomita) so I don't trust their quality control. Opinions?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it looks like they are very theory orientated. I noticed no pictures of sparring or mention of SanDa/SanShou. Also take a look at the "Street" Self Defense...(uh yeah):sad7:

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 5:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You will learn the following in the Street Self Defense classes:

Controlling ones opponent
    Cavity Splitting
    Points of the body or meridians
    Disarming from weapon
    Artery breaking
    Uprooting
    Iron Palm
    Poison Hand
    Takedowns
    Joint locking
    Displacing bones
    Sorry, you can't legitamely teach Posion hand. Atery breaking? Wow just wow.

Yes, I have a problem with the list but, those two really stick out.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 8:02pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The street defense section was a larp fest. A bunch of photos of techniques that have about 0 chance of ever working. I saw no mention of sparring anywhere and lots of photos of what would appear to be forms competitions. As if the website wasn't headache enough, go check out the masters section, it was total information overload. I don't think I've ever seen a website so packed with info yet told me nothing that I really wanted to know.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 8:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Northern Shaolin, Northern Tai Chi Praying Mantis, Northern Seven Star Praying Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan Yang-Chen Style, Baguazhang, Chi Kung & Nei Gung, Southern Five Families and Southern Five Animals, Weapons.

That is a lot of systems.

7th Northern Shaolin & Northern Praying Mantis, 5th Southern Five Animals & Southern Five Families, Master Tai Chi Chuan, 3rd Tae Kwon Do, 3rd Shotokan, 3rd Tang Soo Do.

There is no degrees in Northern praying mantis kung fu under Lee Kam Wing or did he change things?. Isn't the five animals usually called Hung gar?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 8:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
    Northern Shaolin, Northern Tai Chi Praying Mantis, Northern Seven Star Praying Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan Yang-Chen Style, Baguazhang, Chi Kung & Nei Gung, Southern Five Families and Southern Five Animals, Weapons.

That is a lot of systems.

7th Northern Shaolin & Northern Praying Mantis, 5th Southern Five Animals & Southern Five Families, Master Tai Chi Chuan, 3rd Tae Kwon Do, 3rd Shotokan, 3rd Tang Soo Do.

There is no degrees in Northern praying mantis kung fu under Lee Kam Wing or did he change things?. Isn't the five animals usually called Hung gar?
    I asked my Baji instructor about 5 animals once. I used the Mandarin term Wu Xing Quan (five animals) and he said it was the same as Choy Lee Fut (Cai Li Fu). As far I know Hung Gar and Choy lee fut are different, so I would assume that Hung Gar is not five animals, or at least it's not in the same sense that Choy li fut is. Never mind I don't know.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While it doesn't look that great as a martial arts school (that self defense page was pretty entertaining - I really want to know what's going on in that last picture), it does look like it might be fun from a performance wushu perspective. Especially the 18 classical weapons part of their syllabus. I'd love to learn how to swing around a monk spade or a guan dao and impress my friends in my front yard. :P

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 11:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    While it doesn't look that great as a martial arts school (that self defense page was pretty entertaining - I really want to know what's going on in that last picture), it does look like it might be fun from a performance wushu perspective. Especially the 18 classical weapons part of their syllabus. I'd love to learn how to swing around a monk spade or a guan dao and impress my friends in my front yard. :P
    No, that is what makes bullshido. If he is teaching modern wushu his website wouldn't be here.

He teaches SD with artery breaking and Poison Hand.

If a modern wushu school teaches SD it better have a real Self defense teacher in the school.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    7/07/2007 12:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Fake is the correct. Making claims of "artery breaking" and "poison hand" in every case I've seen would push this school into the BS category. If he is teaching performance stuff, then he should advertise it as such, if he's teaching it as SD then their is potentially a problem because from what I've seen in the SD section he'll be lucky if he doesn't get himself killed attempting some of that crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2007 10:45am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will learn the following in the Street Self Defense classes:

Controlling ones opponent
    Cavity Splitting
    Points of the body or meridians
    Disarming from weapon
    Artery breaking