Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 4:46pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I walk over to give him a piece of my mind."

This guy just SLAMMED your girl into the pavement, and you are still in a talking mood?

I might've done some vary serious things that go way past punching and kicking if I saw that happen to my girl. I commend you on your patience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 6:01pm

Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    "I walk over to give him a piece of my mind."

This guy just SLAMMED your girl into the pavement, and you are still in a talking mood?

I might've done some vary serious things that go way past punching and kicking if I saw that happen to my girl. I commend you on your patience.
    At first I couldn't tell if it was just horseplay that was carried too far. When the guy told me to control my woman and that she got what she deserved, that's when I lost it. My girlfriend likes to play rough...she thinks she's tougher than she is, espcially when she's drunk. We were all drinking quite a bit that night because it was our roomate's 26 birthday party.

The guy was built like a gorilla, so it really pissed me off when a guy his size was getting that rough with my girlfriend. He was short put pretty built. He had the "little man's complex", though. Had he apologized, I would have reacted differently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 7:01pm

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha. a lot more calm than i would have been. i would have ripped his head off and asked his reasons later. no justification would have been enough anyway.

kenpostudent, if you are good sports-fighter you will also be pretty well prepared for a real life self-defense situation. this is why boxers and wrestlers do quite well in brawls or whatever in the street. they havent done any special self-defense stuff, they just know exactly how to hit someone or exactly how to take them down and get control.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mijuil
    haha. a lot more calm than i would have been. i would have ripped his head off and asked his reasons later. no justification would have been enough anyway.

kenpostudent, if you are good sports-fighter you will also be pretty well prepared for a real life self-defense situation. this is why boxers and wrestlers do quite well in brawls or whatever in the street. they havent done any special self-defense stuff, they just know exactly how to hit someone or exactly how to take them down and get control.
    I agree...sport fighters can usually handle themselves in street fights. The caveat to that is say a boxer who gets taken to the ground and has never trained groundfighting or a boxer who gets put in a bearhug and cannot use his hands. I wouldn't argue with you...sport fighters tend to be in better shape, too. That gives them a huge advantage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 8:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sport arts like muay thai and bjj don't address weapons defense or multiple opponent defense, though. I have alot of respect for those arts and their practitioners, but I do see holes in their knowledge base. This is what I like about kenpo. For me, it fills in the holes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    Holes in your make believe reality?
    My experiences are apparently quite different than yours. Does that make them less valid? How many times have you been stabbed? How many guns have you had put in your face? Would bjj save your ass in those situations? Have you ever had a pipe or a chain swung at you? Been there done that. Talk to me when you have had similar experiences.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent
    My experiences are apparently quite different than yours. Does that make them less valid? How many times have you been stabbed? How many guns have you had put in your face? Would bjj save your ass in those situations? Have you ever had a pipe or a chain swung at you? Been there done that. Talk to me when you have had similar experiences.
    As tempted as I am to take Whorian's route in this thread, I'm going to acknowledge the fact we are in the Ken/mpo sub-forum and not YMAS.

As a Kempo practitioner/instructor who now trains BJJ 100% of the time I think I see a bit of both worlds. Now admittedly my old school was quite the pinnacle of McDojo/Bullshidoism. So I can't say that I've learned good or the elusive "real" Ke?po weapons defense. But I would like to ask you, what types of techniques and drills do you use to train those situations/scenarios that make you more prepared than someone who well....hasn't?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2007 10:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    As tempted as I am to take Whorian's route in this thread, I'm going to acknowledge the fact we are in the Ken/mpo sub-forum and not YMAS.

As a Kempo practitioner/instructor who now trains BJJ 100% of the time I think I see a bit of both worlds. Now admittedly my old school was quite the pinnacle of McDojo/Bullshidoism. So I can't say that I've learned good or the elusive "real" Ke?po weapons defense. But I would like to ask you, what types of techniques and drills do you use to train those situations/scenarios that make you more prepared than someone who well....hasn't?
    We do knife, club, and gun defense drills. First, you practice against a known attack. Then, you progress to unknown attacks. The attacker has a weapon and it basically becomes sparring against an armed attacker unless you can get a hold of the weapon and perform a disarm (training weapons, of course...we don't use the real thing, with the exception of clubs at black belt level). d

Will any of this guarantee success in a real attack? No, but it introduces you to the timing and the unique considerations of dealing with a weapon. When I got stabbed, I didn't realize how fast a knife thrust comes in and how much range I needed to actually avoid it. I was used to evading punches. I got caught completely off guard. The knife had five more inches of effective range than a punch. Had I trained knife defense, I might have been prepared for that.

For multiple attackers, we spar and practice self defense techniques against multiple opponents. All of that footwork in forms that you find useless becomes critical then. It's not like sparring one person because your position becomes even more important. You don't want to be caught between the attackers. Ideally, you want to blockade by using one as a shield against the others. I'm a newbie at this. It's very challenging.

I'm not saying I'm a badass. Far from it. I have so much to learn. I have been in some bad scenarios in real situations...enough to know that I am better off for my training. I don't begrudge sport fighters. I think they usually do very well in street fights because they are in good shape and train hard. I train kenpo because it trains the areas that sport martial arts don't . I never said what I do in inherently better. It's just what I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 1:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    As I suspected, not escape from LA.
    Does your sarcasm stem from a dwarfed cerebrum or just a dwarfed penis?

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/06/2007 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpostudent
    Ever had to face a riot cap charge? Been tazered? Maced? Beaten with a baton? Thrown in a cell with one of the Aryan Brotherhood's finest?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast