Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 11:36am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I have by guys do it sometimes to simulate the scramble.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see that aspect of it, however in the DZR thread that started all of this that was the only way they initiated.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I see that aspect of it, however in the DZR thread that started all of this that was the only way they initiated.
    WOW. More lies from Umpa, who'd figured that. LOL.

Here is the excerpt from the thread you are talking about:

My very first DZR class taught at a club in my local university after learning to fall, my instructor paired me with a 120 blue belt girl (I was 6'4" 280lbs at the time and had wrestled a little in high school) for some back to back. She wound up choking me out in about a minute and a half. It was AWESOME! We spent a solid half or more of every class doing randori or back to back.

He clearly says that they spend a solid half or more of every class doing randori OR (yes, it's an OR) back to back.

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The statement "X or Y" is true if either X or Y is true. This school could start back-to-back for 100% of their sparring and the "or" statement would still be true.

For the record, I've never seen people start back-to-back at a school that had more than a half-assed grappling curriculum.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 7/02/2007 3:36pm at . Reason: Failure to read. See - verb. Conjugation: I see, you see, he/she sees, we see, you (plural) see, they see.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 7:58am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    The statement "X or Y" is true if either X or Y is true. This school could start back-to-back for 100% of their sparring and the "or" statement would still be true.

For the record, I've never seen people start back-to-back at a school that had more than a half-assed grappling curriculum.
    Yes, logically if X was true 100% of the time and Y was true 0% of the time, then the statement X or Y would be true 100% of the time.

BUT, do you every say, we either spar or I shoot him in the head, carry his dead body to the river and dump it? Not unless sometimes you actually do shoot him in the head, carry his dead body to the river and dump it. It's common sense.

Geneally speaking people don't give options unless those options are true at least some of the time. Come on man, you knew this before you posted you just wanted to be a smartass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 8:40am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having people start back to back might be good for a change.

I routinely have beginners or people whose breakfalls are iffy start grappling from their knees.

I don't need a newbie botching a breakfall, hurting themselves and being gun shy. Especially with high impact throws.

A long time ago, I was told the plethora of breakfalls in judo is to get people over their fear of falling NOT because you'll use each one. My experience bears this out seeing as I haven't done a "breakfall" in the strict judo sense during grappling as long as I can remember. But things like tucking the head, not flipping out because I'm falling and exhaling on impact - that happens automatically.

FWIW

Mark

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 10:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We did that back-to-back **** in the bujinkan, therefore it sucks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 10:35am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only seen the back to back during Judo newaza randori.

Other than that... I never found it really worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only seen the back-to-back in judo newaza maybe twice. It's been predominantly from the knees facing each other (just like the typical rolling in BJJ), and less frequently from tachiwaza or from a pin (or flat belly down.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast