Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 8:39am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Weird Training Method?

So what are some of your odd training methods?

One of the things I like to do is what I call shadow sparing.

It is like real sparing excepts no gloves, slow speed, and light to no contact. Humm I guess it is not like real sparing at all.

Two students or I and a student face off, and go slow. This (to me) allows the student to learn timing, body language, and how to recognize strengths and weakness in an opponent without the anxiety of getting knocked in the noggin.

I have been using this method in years. This way when they do get to spar and knock the **** out of each other, they seem more prepared.

I have other things I do, but this to me is the weirdest. What is your weird training method?
    Later,
    Zyph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 9:30am

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kata sparring.

using techniques from form/Kata you've learned to spar

it helps you understand what you doing with the movements.

can get difficult if your not very creative.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 9:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Makiwara training. It is so old school and "destructive" I'm sure everyone here thinks its weird. lol

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zyph - what you describe sounds exactly like sparring using progressive resistance (It is like real sparing excepts no gloves, slow speed, and light to no contact. Humm I guess it is not like real sparing at all.) - not sure what is odd about that (maybe I am mis-understanding it)?

The_Tao - What is odd about trying to apply what you learn in forms/kata to sparring? I would think it would be odd if you learned forms/kata and then never tried to apply it in some type of sparring situation with a resisting opponent - again, maybe I am mis-understanding...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 10:56am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Student
    Zyph - what you describe sounds exactly like sparring using progressive resistance (It is like real sparing excepts no gloves, slow speed, and light to no contact. Humm I guess it is not like real sparing at all.) - not sure what is odd about that (maybe I am mis-understanding it)?

The_Tao - What is odd about trying to apply what you learn in forms/kata to sparring? I would think it would be odd if you learned forms/kata and then never tried to apply it in some type of sparring situation with a resisting opponent - again, maybe I am mis-understanding...?
    Hehehe Whiteshark he didn't say you are not weird ;)

It is weird to me because I ahve never seen another MT school in the us do it. Pretty common in Thai Land from what I hear.
    Later,
    Zyph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 11:32am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, all of the above so far. Then add sashi, chishi and sanchin gami weights, kote gitae, rubber band work (uechi ryu train circle block and counter), tree hugging, I'll practice footwork and kicking in the pool (because it makes me focus on being able to drive through the whole motion), Ginastica natural, pole shaking, silk reeling, etc.

poser

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 12:06pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys have been watching too many Hong Kong action films.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like makiwara training. Wall bag training, too.

Someone took a video of me doing some fast motion freestyle systema looking drills at a party while drunk, because a friend of mine kept bothering me to do it. I'll see if I can find the person that took it.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 12:33pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra

Someone took a video of me doing some fast motion freestyle systema looking drills at a party while drunk, because a friend of mine kept bothering me to do it. I'll see if I can find the person that took it.
    It's now selling on TRS direct as an instructional DVD for $ 59.99 :happy7:

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much depends on what you're training for. In my job (CO), if the feces hits the fan and one must resort to striking, the only gloves available are latex ones to keep off the hep an' hiv--and there's no tape supporting the wrists--so one has to condition one's hands for hitting hard surfaces without the protective benefits of gloves and tape. So train without them.

Hardwood trees are good for conditioning the hands. One with the right diameter can be practised upon with the same combos one uses on a heavy bag. Since some people vouch for first two knuckles and others say hit with the last three, I make sure to concentrate on callusing and boning up the middle knuckle of each hand--the one everyone seems to agree on. Do some work on the others, though. Also, any combo that can be done closed-fisted can be done open-handed. Trees are also excellent conditioners for forearms, shins, head, elbows...

If one is used to something like Thai pads, one might ask partner to get something similar but with a hard, non-padded surface and then work all your combos with those as your moving targets: downstairs, upstairs, odd angles--everything that can be done padded can also be done non-padded...and if you're in a job where you're at risk of dealing with crap without pads on, it's a good idea to condition yourself accordingly.

Same goes for falls: if there are no mats where you're working, better work on falling and rolling on hard floors. Get partner to throw you on hard stuff and practice your sacrifice throws there, too. Do your neck-building arches on a floor instead of a mat. No, it doesn't hurt that much once you're used to it...and no, it won't do anything to your precious hair follicles (not a concern in my case, being shave-noggined like many COs).

Obviously, if you're not used to hard-surface conditioning, go into it to the extent that you can tolerate...and add time and intensity with each session. You will adapt, no problem, and then you can train this way for decades.
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 7/02/2007 11:17pm at .
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast