Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:58pm

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Why worry about it. This is not a good place to look for validation. I did Kendo because it was fun to hit people with sticks. I literally LARP'd (SCA) because it was even funner to hit people with sticks in big huge mass piles and then get drunk and dance afterwards. Now I do contact MA because I haven't done it before and because the age gap between me and the local SCA group is even worse than the age gap between me and the folks i work out with. But if you are having fun, who cares.
    It's not looking for validation, just more trying understand how someone pursuing an art seriously, even if their not going to actually kill anyone, is LARPing. But yes you're right, if it's fun who cares.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 5:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Personally, I fenced for ten years and people who imagined they would one day engage in a real live sword fight were pretty rare. And of those few, I know of one who it actually happened to.
    So what happened then?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ty5
    So what happened then?
    According to a couple of normally reliable witnesses, he cut his assailant on the hand/wrist with the sword stick he habitually carried (this guy, you understand, is a total fruit loop), causing the fellow in question to drop his machete. He then legged it.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Errant is correct, overall. However, having done some sword training, I think there is often a bit of LARP that is hard to avoid. Even when trying to recreate it as a fighting art there always are those undertones that you are practicing the fighting arts of Samurai or Medieval Knights or Renaissance Dandies that have little to no practical use today. That doesn't make it bullshido, but there is some LARPing involved. Pure sport fencing is a little different though, and I'm sure most people simply do them for sport.

And speaking of that...

Fencing? larping
    Kendo? larping.
    Fencing? Sport
    Kendo? Sport

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 10:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorian Gracie
    Since I can't, nor do I want, to get into the heads of the sword swinging practitioners, I will thus assume the worst and deem all of their thoughts impure and therefor, LARPing.
    Then please do us a favor and keep such assumptions to yourself. It is this rush to judgement and pseudo-scepticism that has given Bullshido a bad rep. If you don't enough about the subject, don't speak on it.

I could claim ignorance, but in my experience, which is vast like an ocean, the numbers of people that deep down fancy themselves as reproducing modern day samurai far outnumber those that practice the art for what it is.
    I see.

How many Koryu practitioners have you conversed with?

On the plus side, this is a much more reasoned statement than your previous one.

Kudos to those few of you who actually just swing swords cause it is fun, a challenge and an art in and of itself.
    Thank you.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 10:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do I really have to comment? I think the scars on my hands from Fukuro Shinai and Errant's broken pinky speak for themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 11:02pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weird, but when I think of LARPing, I think of guys dressed as elves (pointy ears and all) and Orcs running around in the woods hitting each other with Pipe and Pipe foam made to look like swords and various other weapons. When I cam here it was the first time I had heard it applied to a Martial Art.

Now to the point. The little weapons work I have done at a friends Aikido school I brought it up that I would never have a sword on hand to fight with. The Sensei said that I could use a broom stick pr other wooden sword like item in the same manner. Much like a Boken (sp?) is used I would think. Also I canít fucking sleep!

My Escrima, Arnise, and Kali instructors said that the arts were largely based on using swords, does that make them LARPing also?

I see them as viable arts in the modern day if taken in the right context. Some do it for the history, others do it to apply it to more RL weapons, and yes some do it to be modern day swordsman because they watched Highlander too much.
    Later,
    Zyph

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 11:57pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is serious practice of use in a sword LARPing? No.

if you are serious about you sword use and practice for whatever reason whether it be fun or exercise or sport in my opinion it is not LARPing. in fact if your a person who does it for one of those reasons other than LARPing then I give you this:icon_thum

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 12:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    Do I really have to comment? I think the scars on my hands from Fukuro Shinai and Errant's broken pinky speak for themselves.
    OK, I played your game, next time we play mine.

Double short stick.

Friggin bastard. The rest of my scars work for impressing chicks, but I can't exactly score points with "a ninja broke my finger"...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/03/2007 12:08am

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well what is LARPing first off? I've always defined it as acting out a method of combat with the primary focus being either historical authenticity or recreational fun. Anything trained with the focus being battlefield survival being just that, combat training.
    Can some forms of swordsmanship be RL relevant? sure, cops use batons and the like all the time. Serious practice of anything doesnt make or break whether or not its larping. You can seriously engage in larping like most re-enactors do. They practice their art to the extreme for painstaking detail and realism but that doesnt make it any less than what it is at its core. Pretend.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast