Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 8:54pm

Style: Fiore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swordsmanship=LARPtastic?

Now maybe I'm just not getting the humor of this place yet, Jesus considering how long I lurked on this fucker ya think I would've, it seems to me that many consider any serious pursuit of Swordsmanship LARPing. To be blunt, I think someone seriously pursuing their art, armed or unarmed, isn't LARPing but that's just me. Anyone else have any opinions?

-Also, the sword as a weapon is not relevant in this day and age. Even as a possible weaon for home defense there are much better and much more effective tools for this then a sword. Now having said, Training in swordsmanship is not LARPing in my mind.

So, as asked before, does anyone have any opinions on this?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 9:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Danzan Ryu JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you have already made up your mind, why would you care what people on a web site have to say in that case? If you have an interest, see it as an art, and wish to pursue it, go for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well thats plan somebody, but what I know is why others think of it as LARPing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 10:11pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly is. If your not training to kill the guy next to you with it what are you training in it for? Any other answer will mostly boil down to LARPing if you take it far enough. Fencing? larping
    Kendo? larping.
    Its all pretending to fight for a purpose other than to seriously get good at fighting 'competitive spirit' not withstanding.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this thread was directed at me, haha.

I've been studying traditional japanese swordsmanship for 3 years now, and kendo for about 6 months. Yes I consider it larping.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 1:23am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are engaging in a weapon art as a sport or as a cultural practice, it is not LARPing.

If you're doing Kendo because you want to be a modern Samurai, then you're LARPing.

Labelling anything that doesn't have any immediate modern practicality as LARPing is dismissive, over-generalizing, and truthfully, fucking ignorant. LARPing is less determined by the act itself, and more by the mindest of the practitioner.

There is a huge difference between dedicated practitioners of Koryu arts and strip mall Bujininjas.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 1:59am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    There is a huge difference between dedicated practitioners of Koryu arts and strip mall Bujininjas.
    I second that.

I can buy a sword without a 7 day wait.

I can carry a sword without a permit.

I can transport a sword with its blade intact (versus putting the handle in the glove box and the blade in the trunk).

And most folks wouldn't think to attack some crazy fucker carrying a broadsword in the mall... :evil4:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 11:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    If you are engaging in a weapon art as a sport or as a cultural practice, it is not LARPing.

If you're doing Kendo because you want to be a modern Samurai, then you're LARPing.

Labelling anything that doesn't have any immediate modern practicality as LARPing is dismissive, over-generalizing, and truthfully, fucking ignorant. LARPing is less determined by the act itself, and more by the mindest of the practitioner.

Well I'm glad to hear their are more experienced members of Bullshido who don't think sword arts are some form of LARPing

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 2:58pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsmann
    Well I'm glad to hear their are more experienced members of Bullshido who don't think sword arts are some form of LARPing
    Why worry about it. This is not a good place to look for validation. I did Kendo because it was fun to hit people with sticks. I literally LARP'd (SCA) because it was even funner to hit people with sticks in big huge mass piles and then get drunk and dance afterwards. Now I do contact MA because I haven't done it before and because the age gap between me and the local SCA group is even worse than the age gap between me and the folks i work out with. But if you are having fun, who cares.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/02/2007 3:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I fenced for ten years and people who imagined they would one day engage in a real live sword fight were pretty rare. And of those few, I know of one who it actually happened to.
Page 1 of 16 1 234511 ... LastLast