Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 1:20pm

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I have never known anyone who has owned a Mosin-Nagant M-44 whereas the other two types I mentioned come with rave reviews.
    I have one, and would reccomend it to anyone, though Enfields are certainly not a bad choice.

For a .22, you have several options, but you can't go wrong with the Ruger 10/22. A basic model won't set you back much, and there's so many upgrades/parts/etc available on the market that you can go that route later on if you like.

Dirt basic model, $185, here. Add in another $10 or so for 500 rounds of 22lr and you're set.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 1:23pm

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Mosin. You can get one for like $90.

Not a .22, but you won't complain when you see the muzzle flash.
    Or even lower than $90, I got mine for $70, and have seen them even cheaper.

And I love it in a way that I can't mention on this board, since we don't charge monthly membership fees.

Mi fiance was going to shoot it once, until she saw the muzzle flash. :qright1:

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 1:55pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like a Nice rifle, though I'm always leery about buying a weapon from a non-gun dealer without being able to inspect it in person.

poser

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 2:06pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad's got a Mosin-Nagant carbine, and it's definitely a nice weapon. It's built like a rock, but the wood behind the bolt looks like it might be starting to chip off, so I stopped using it because I don't like the idea of large metal parts breaking off and tearing a hole in my skull.

edit: never mind that was my dad's Mauser, I think. I get the two confused, they're both old, loud, and awesome.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there programs or classes that would teach me to shoot. When I first started I just picked up a rifle and started aiming at paper. I would actually like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 2:20pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three letters. NRA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 2:38pm

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got to crawl before you walk gentlemen. Without knowing his history of firearms i assume he is new to riflery and wishes to learn. Get his feet wet so to say. Giving him advice to purchase what is probably over powered like a Mosin is not a great way to build get effective shooting habits. The added problem of the cost of the rounds versus a brick of .22's and places to shoot would only compound the problem. You an take a Marlin .22 to any range in america but the Mosins and Enfields are typically only going to be rifle range exclusive. The majority of his ammo will be corrosive facilitating daily cleaning of a weapon whose bore will already most likely not be in pristine condition.

I say stick with a good .22 Build up some skill and time, like 500 rounds at LEAST before moving on to larger bore guns.

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 2:49pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roaming East is correct.

Posted On:
    7/01/2007 3:07pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would go with your first pick, a 22 cal Ruger 10/22. However, before getting one off the internet I would go to a good local dealer and see what he has in stock. Ruger 10/22 are inexpensive and you could probably pick one up for a good price locally.

Also I bet you can shoot that 22 at the indoor ran you mentioned. A lot of indoor ranges only allow you to shoot pistols or 22 rifles and they also require the ammo to be all lead. With a 22, this is no problem. In addition 50 yards with a 22 and iron sites if far enough.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast