Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:37pm

Style: Wrestling & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Side Control Escape.

Hello all.

I just want to discuss something we did at BJJ last night. We spent some time drilling an escape from when someone is ontop and has side control. I'm not sure what it is called but I will walk you through it.

Your opponant has side control and is on your right hand side. Slide our left hand under his chin so your left forearm runs across his windpipe. Your right hand should be under his chest. Drive your forearm up and at the same time push up with your right hand and bridge. As you bridge up you get an underhook with your left hand by sliding it through under his left armpit.

Now as you do this you have to scoot your hips and feet out and walk them around. Now you sould be facing your opponant ,still keeping your left underhook. At this point your right shoulder should be on the mat. By walking your feet around the back you stop your opponant from driving you back down.

I'm sorry about the long-winded description. I hope you guys can see what I mean.

Now my question is as I come round I keep getting chocked. I managed to get this escape while sparring but as I come round to face my opponat I can't stop getting guillotine choked. Do I just need to pull guard as I come up or is there something else I can do ?

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is the escape I think you're describing, then you should try pinning your head to your opponent's side or shrugging your shoulders when they try to encircle your neck. If you're new you're probably just learning to protect your neck on instinct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neat suggestion. Thanks.

I never thought of shrugging my shoulders. I was just so focused on brisgeing and geting the underhook, before I know it I'm getting chocked. I have only been doiing BJJ for 3 months now. Before this I wrestled for years. It amazes me. I never saw what the big deal in BJJ was. Untill I got armbared 5 times within 30 seconds on my first lesson. After that, I though it maybe worht my while to stick around and learn something.......

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 10:13pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Don't practice it too much it might become a kata
    2. Ask your instructor for hands on training
    3. Use pictures whenever possible
    4. We call it the 'escape chute' it's in one of our forms, I'd show you on video but you don't believe in that **** do you?

Shum, for the life of me I can't see why you coddled this asshole with an answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 1:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Omega,

why don't you go back to drilling kickboxing techniques and then kidding yourself that it's actually Kung Fu.....

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 4:23am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong answer.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 9:37am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bosco
    Hey Omega,

why don't you go back to drilling kickboxing techniques and then kidding yourself that it's actually Kung Fu.....
    Really smart answer **** brain considering you're on the internet asking for advice instead of going to your instructor who might also tell you about the two follow up techniques into submissions. I think the reason you're getting choked is because you've got to pop your head out of your ass while you're doing it.