• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 4:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Long Till I'm Be Able To PWN Newbs With Judo?

I have done about 8 months of BJJ, and while sparring, the fight got to the feet (standup, clinch).

At this exact point I realised that I knew little or no takedowns....

The guy i was sparring with also seemed like a fish out of water, but he was able to take me down by unbalancing me and using brute strength....

So with this blatant chink in my game I am seeking a Judo school ASAP....

What i want to know is how long will it take before I am able to pwn my BJJ class mates (or just) people with no stand up experience?

Those who do BJJ know that after about 4 months of consistent training will equip you with enough skill to control/submit anyone with no ground experience.

But how long with Judo (training 2X a week)?

Please only comment if you actually know or take up Judo
    Last edited by veedub; 6/29/2007 4:06am at .

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 4:30am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does take substantially longer to build enough stand-up skill to compensate for size differences. Initially, you'll probably learn to avoid being taken down faster than you'll learn to take people down.

Beyond that... body type will play a role, as well as how soon you find a throw or two that work for you. I've known judoka who've been terrifying against the untrained with only about six or eight months of judo. Others I've known have taken a couple of years to have something click. Try everything you can.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 3:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For Judo standup everyone is different. Like Sophist said, for some people it just clicks, for others, it doesn't. Just stick with it and you will do well sooner or later.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never.

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing that might help you out is to understand that each throw that you are shown will be just a basic version of that particular throw. Your body type, the opponents body type, your speed (etc.) will all figure in to how the throw is modified to work for you. That isn't as dificult as it makes it seem though. It just means that you need to find out what makes that throw "yours". Over time you will find that throws that you think don't work just need a little more understanding. Practice is the key to getting it all figured out.

One important thing to consider as you are just beginning, when your opponent is in motion, there is a throw that will work. Stationary opponents will just counter. Figure out how to "walk" your opponent.
    As far as how long, six months you should see a real change in your standup game if you practice, practice, practice.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    veedup, why don't ask that question to your bjj instructor? Most BJJ instructors have a background (or have cross-trained) with wrestlers and/or judoka. Where I used to train the BJJ instructors would train Judo throws and breakfalls twice a week and 50% of the sparring starts standing.

Your bjj class should at least be teaching the fundamentals of double and single leg takedowns, sprawls and clinch stuff on a regular basis. Ask (your instructor) and you shall receive.

In the event that you decide to cross-train in Judo, the first thing you need to learn is to breakfall. Being thrown sucks, it hurts, and the rate of injury can be greater than in BJJ (specially if you are reckless and careless.)

Also, you shouldn't be training Judo or Wrestling just to pwned your peers. You should train to make your training more well-rounded. Don't go learning throws and then use them on training partners than don't know how to take a fall. They don't know how to breakfall, and you can easily hurt somebody if you are an spaz.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    6/29/2007 7:49pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you wanna know about Judo then take lessons. Period. And from what I have seen/experienced Judo isn't about brute force but more about leverage.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 7:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He just wants to find some 'trick' so he can tap pr beat some people. If his goal isn't to improve his overall game, then he isn't going to get very far. We were doing alot of stuff in our bjj class last week that I would bring to my judo class. It is like going into an escrima class with a .45. I

t's fine if your opponent knows you are going to try new technique, but to spring new stuff on someone can get someone hurt. I mean, look what he rote. He doesn't want to compete at a new or higher level, he wants to beat up people who don't know better. Since you are all noobs, if you can't get your technique to work, practice harder.

Posted On:
    6/30/2007 12:13pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a good trick: Learn to grapple instead of worrying about beating people with less experience.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal