Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 8:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget these guys. There are plenty of good schools around Vancouver, Marcus Soares school, Franco's Kickboxing & Pankration (my old school), JKDChick's school... Avoid Kikara and Champions (on the north shore).
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 9:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, Francos has gotten a shitload more members, but no more space. it's so crowded you can barely throw a roundhouse kick without hitting someone. someone you don't mean to hit, that is.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    8/28/2007 10:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Crazy! You'd think more students = more money = more space or new location.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    8/29/2007 4:46pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Plural of Sai.

lol..i meant tp type 'this' but it came out '****'...Freudian typo?
    No, I think to be properly Freudian you'd have to type something sexual.

For example: "I meant to type 'this' but it came out 'my sweaty balls'".

I could be wrong though. :)

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 1:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kikara isn't bad. I'm a student myself. I only go for my instructor, Anthony Britton. If he didn't teach at kikara(vancouver), I'd quit.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 7:32am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I just noticed yesterday that a Kikara club is opening up in Ottawa, meant to search the net for info, and I find it being discussed on Bullshido. Any tips for lottery numbers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2007 11:39pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    Wow, I just noticed yesterday that a Kikara club is opening up in Ottawa, meant to search the net for info, and I find it being discussed on Bullshido. Any tips for lottery numbers?

Whoa!!! There're even hiring here in Ottawa. As per their website:

"HOW DO I GET STARTED?

We offer certification through the University of Martial Arts (UMA) [italics mine] where you can become a certified instructor or staff member. We are looking for active martial artists who have experience in instructing in a mixed martial arts environment. Experience in kickboxing, karate, taekwondo, etc. at an advanced level is required."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2007 12:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definite Mcdojo. Some earlier posts adressed the whole 'business over training' aspect, which I agree is a clear sign of instructors who won't teach you to defend yourself.

One thing they did not address, which I see in their website, and that of another chain of mcdojos (Kovars, or Sattori, here in Sacramento), is the fact that the only tournaments they boast about competing in are tournaments between their own intra-dojo organization. This leads me to believe that in addition to getting your ass kicked on the street, this place won't even teach you point sparring properly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 3:32am

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    Dude, Francos has gotten a shitload more members, but no more space. it's so crowded you can barely throw a roundhouse kick without hitting someone. someone you don't mean to hit, that is.
    Their advanced KB class doesn't have this problem, but it's even worse in the Pankration class - the mirror broke twice in the last week I was working there. Way too crowded for sure. Even the cardio class which suffers the least from crowding is so packed they can barely fit everyone in there.

Now... my memory might be failing me, but when I was coming to Vancouver I was looking up KB. One of the guys that was interesting was Farhad Dordar, who I believe trained Blake Lirette. I don't remember what they called themselves then, but I'm pretty sure it was Farhad's school that changed its name to Kikara a few years ago. I know Dean is with Champions now, and Blake is training in LV at times, but I'm a bit surprised to see the suck mentioned here for a school that as far as I remember produced Blake Lirette.

Of course I could be completely fucking things up, but I would guess that Kikara at least has a good KB program (or used to). I have never dropped by their place though so I couldn't say for sure.

The Surrey Kikara is also partially owned by Sal Ram, who used to be with Franco, and Sal definitely knows what he's about. My striking isn't that good so I can't say exactly how good he is, but he knows enough to teach people how to fight well. I'm not sure how much he actually teaches though, and have no idea if there's someone similar teaching at the Vancouver location.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    9/26/2007 3:37am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be very very leery of Kikara...it's a very high pressure McDojo kind of set up. That being said, if you like the instruction then train there. Just dont sign a contract.

I frankly thought that "Best of Vancouver" martial arts list was **** except for Coccoon. A fucking Capoeria school won.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast