Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 11:50am

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    perhaps just add low weight high reps military press to any weightlifting you're doing.
    All of the suggestions so far have been good, but to expand on this - if you are looking for a weight training solution, perhaps consider low-weight, high rep (~12-15) lateral raises. Another interesting technique I've had some success with is forming a boxing stance with lighter weights, and slowly shadow box, trying to keep your hands high as possible. Combined with shrugs, this exercise really helps me with shoulder strength and endurance.

But the best way to condition your shoulders for boxing is still to box a lot, which you seem to be doing anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 12:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to not be a big supplement fan, but that changed after I went to school for medicine.

There are several that will help you recover faster, and increase your endurance.

The safest is a Nitric Oxide booster. It is a mild vasodilator. Which means in increases the size of your blood vessels. For a quick Anatomy and Physiology lesson: You heal and recover quicker in areas of your bodies that get more blood. More blood to an area = more nutrients to aid in the healing process. This also helps you recover quicker on the
    fly. This also reduces heart disease because it makes it harder for plaque to stick to arterial walls.

For NO boost I am a fan of the Biogenetix brand, because it has better chemistry. Long story short, they bound it to a fatty acid so it has more cellular permeability. It also has a chemical bound to it that gives it a longer life span in the body.

The other is good old creatine. This is those nutrients I spoke of before. This stuff helps rebuild every item in your body that moves. The down side is that it will put any one in a pissy mood. Made me an utter ass. This and protean are the primary substances in red meat, which predators feed on constantly. There is a reason they are so aggressive other than nature.

Other than these there is just hard work and recovery time.

Later,
    Zyph

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What medical school did you attend?

I ask because your bit on creatine makes no sense to anyone that's got even a passing familiarity with it.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 1:02pm

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure where you are getting your information, Zyph - probably not a med school.

For example, creatine doesn't build muscle the way you described, it increases muscle size (hypertrophy) primarily by increasing the water retention of muscle tissue, although the phosphates included in it increase output intensity by increasing ATP availability. For Antonillo's shoulder question, supplements are really a non issue - it seems like training and maybe some weight work will help him be good as new.

Secondly, you suggest that "creatine and protean [SIC] are the primary substances in red meat," when the fat content of red meat, which you didn't mention as a primary component is also extremely important for building muscle. Also, I'm not sure about your med school claim if you can't spell protein properly.

Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but you seem to be pushing supplements unnecessarily, with a potentially bogus suggestion of medical training. I hope I'm just reading to much into your post though.

"Other than these there is just hard work and recovery time"

This is probably your best piece of real advice, though, Z.
    Last edited by Tango M.F.; 6/28/2007 1:33pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 1:25pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Anthony, hermano, do you apply ice and/or heat to the shoulders regularly? You should apply something like icy hot during practice and in the mornings, and ice'em at night before going to sleep. This will help with any swelling you may be getting.

Also, do this and/or this to stretch your external rotators, this for your internal rotators and this for your anterior deltoids (which most likely are the ones taking the brunt.)

Also, make sure not to sleep with your arms over you head (but along your body).
    This is something I just learned from my last visit to the doc. Tired shoulders and elbows don't like it when we sleep with arms flexed over the head. Big, bad, nasty karma for the shoulders.
    Gracias Heramano, gonna intergrate. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 1:27pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Irrespective of your time off, it sounds a bit like the mechanics of your punching has changed enough that you are stressing your shoulders somewhat differently. Even though its seems your coach doesn't have any qualms regarding your form, it couldn't hurt if you double check it by asking explicitly about it - perhaps even asking a few different people.

Still, if this truly is a "lactic acid burn" you are feeling, I wouldn't worry about it; you'll be fine and dandy within 3-8 weeks of training. However, if you choose punching as your training method of choice to push through this, be mindful of poor form, telegraphing motions, and/or other bad habits while struggling with your arm to get it to do what you want.

Edit: One last thought regarding your punching form - it may be that you are able to go harder now than you did before you had your elbow fixed. So, it could turn out that your shoulder anaerobic local muscular endurance is just the next weak link in the chain.
    Thanks Tom! I was told my kicking was harder too. So who knows. :) THat lactic acid burn hurt like Hell, but after a short rest of 5 minutes, I was able to punch out 20 pushups.

Which I got **** for, because if you can do pushups you can punch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you guys want to questions my credentials I will give them to you. I am a NREMTP and a NCEMTP. That would be Paramedic to you. I have 5+ years of time in the field saving live, and that does not include the 2000+ hours I have of clinical time. I am not a personal trainer, but I can deal with an MI, and read an EKG strip at a glance. I have saved lives and brought lives into the world.

Those are mine, what are yours? What do you do at your job?

No I can’t spell for ****, I am sorry if that offends you. I was going to say much more for this, but my wife came home and asked me to go to her first prenatal app. I had time to cool off.

I do not have a strong knowledge of creatine it is not a supplement I use. But my sports med Dr. who IS an MD suggest it to aid in the recovery of some injuries I have had. He also said to drink a ton of water when taking it because it is bad on the kidneys.

As for fat content in red meat, ever shot a deer? Ever read any studies on the Atkins diet and how it can change some one’s attitude?
    Later,
    Zyph

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 2:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man ease back on Zyph he's my favorite new poster in quite a while. His Muay Thai advice has been spot on. Supplements are all quasi-religious to me anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 2:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Man ease back on Zyph he's my favorite new poster in quite a while. His Muay Thai advice has been spot on. Supplements are all quasi-religious to me anyway.
    Thanks Whiteshark. I plan on being a supporting member soon. My job (home dad now) and trying to open a gym does not go well with cash flow. Last year as a medic I made 600$ less than my wife and I spent on childcare for 3 kids the days I worked. Now we are actually saving money, scary that society values human live at around 11$ and hour L

As for NO the benefits of it are just now being truly discovered. The guys who “discovered” it were awarded the Nobel Prize in 98 I think it was.

Later,
    Zyph

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, let's not derail this thread. If you want to discuss what creatine and NO are for, let's do it in this thread : http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56728
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast