Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:18pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Should I do gi or no gi?

I want to start doing martial arts for fitness, fun and protection. I figure no gi is more practical since people don't wear gis out on the street. But I've also heard that wearing a coat is similar to a gi. Bascially I was just wondering how big a difference there is between the two styles.

Anyway, it doesn't make that big a difference since I want to train mostly in Muay Thai while I'm still young (and I plan on doing BJJ later). The reason I'm looking at this before even starting Muay Thai is because I just found out that one of the BJJ instructors at the dojo I'm planning on going to is professional MMA fighter Fabio Holanda (not to mention one of the other instructors is one of the more famous Dog Brothers).

I figured it would be a good idea to take advantage of this opprtunity while it's still here. I don't know if he'll still be at the dojo in a few years since he's Brazilian. I figure even if I don't take lessons that often I'll benefit from learning the basics from a really good fighter.

Suggestions?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So they don't have gi AND no-gi?

Ideally you would want to do both.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if that was unclear. They have both.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do both, they both have their advantages. If it is one or the other do gi, in many ways it is like running with a weight vest and you'll be better for it. Further if you start no-gi and decide to try gi you'll have a much harder transition than vice-versa.

On the issue of practicality, I don't normally get in fights and don't really care but I'm assuming if I ever do get in a fight again, the person will be wearing clothes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 4:53pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor made a good point about Gi for self defense. How many times have you been in a fight when you or your oppents clothes didn't get messed up? I thought about it and realized that in just about every fight I've been in (all when I was a youth), I got a shirt messed up. That's generally how my Mom knew me and my brothers had been fighting if she wasn't there.

So if you think about, Gi is generally applicable in a fight, not just when someone is wearing a coat. The Gi just doesn't tear, so you don't need a new one every time you train.
    Last edited by Jhemsley; 6/27/2007 4:59pm at . Reason: Typo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 5:08pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    both are good... but gi is more fun. it's more fun standing with all the throw possibilities, and there's so many great collar chokes you can do on the ground.

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 5:50pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer Gi... but I'm Judo so we sort of don't have an alternative...

What I do have to say is that even with excusive Gi training I found that with a few pointers and minor changes (Thanks NYTank) to my game I was able to switch very quickly to No-Gi. Gi will give you better grip for off-balancing in standing throws and more submissions on the ground. Tho' if Judo HAD a No-Gi program I'd do it as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 7:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, well that's better for me since I can't make it to most of the no-gi training times.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the Matt Thornton seminar this weekend he kind of put it this way

With a Gi you really have to have too posture and position since your opponent can constantly be grabbing at your gi.

Without a gi you need to develop really tight submissions.

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 10:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    At the Matt Thornton seminar this weekend he kind of put it this way

With a Gi you really have to have too posture and position since your opponent can constantly be grabbing at your gi.

Without a gi you need to develop really tight submissions.
    That's so true. I was sparring with this guy in our nogi class on tuesday night, right at the end after everyone had been sparring - the matted floor was actually slippy from all the sweat, and the room was like a sauna. Combined with wearing shorts + tshirt you get an idea how little grip there was.

Anyway. I was attacking this guy with loads of sub attempts. He kept pulling out of *everything* just because it was so damn slippy. I only eventually caught him after I finally took heed of my coach yelling at me to lock everything down real tight, and I went for an arm triangle, a sub which is very hard to slip out of.

Do both.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast