Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2007 3:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Korean Martial Arts Institute

As I do not currently attend this school, information I present is as accurate as is available online. My opinions reflect 11 years of experience there, 1995-2006.

This review is only for the Newark Delaware location of the Korean Martial Arts Institute. While the school is technically under the authority of Master John Godwin http://www.kmaiweb.com/instructors.html#godwin a 6th Dan it is managed and run on a day-to-day basis by George Maybroda http://www.kmaiweb.com/instructors.html#maybroda who is a 3rd Dan.

This school teaches Tang Soo Do at all levels, from ages 4-7 in its youngest classes, up through its adult classes which routinely see students in their sixties. The belt system goes white, yellow, orange, orange/green, green, green/brown, brown, brown/red, red, red/blue, blue, blue/black, black. When last I checked, three stripes given between belt promotions.

Aliveness
    There is no getting around the fact that sparring at this school is light-touch contact and that self-defense and "one-step-sparring" drills are done with compliancy. In adult classes, the level of sparring contact is somewhat higher as sparring partners will often agree to higher levels of contact, but overall, drills are performed with a predetermined outcome in mind. Sparring is highly restricted in most cases, with knees, elbows, all grappling, clinching, and open-hand strikes prohibited. Sparring is also tightly restricted in terms of time: with sessions never lasting more than approx. 10 minutes. Drilling strikes often takes up a large portion of class time, and is done against pads.

Equipment
    While by no means a fully outfitted gym, the school has good equipment. The entire floor is covered in thick mats and there are many more fold out mats for tumbling etc. Pads and hand-held targets are abundant, though as far as heavier equipment, the school uses 3 large wavemasters and a "BOB" instead of heavybags. Unfortunately, these are rarely used in class (I've never seen the BOB used at all) and there is no designated time or space set aside for using them.

Gym Size
    The best part of the school. The Newark location has a lot of mat space, which is usually filled to the brim with students. I'm not sure as to the actually square footage, but the picture with the class practicing staff work should give a good idea. The catch is that there is no open mat time and it is very difficult to use any space without disrupting a class.

Instructor to Student Ratio
    At the very best 1:20 for actual instructors to students. Due to the large number of students, higher ranking older students are ad-hoced as instructors.

Atmosphere and Attitude
    Very positive. I can honestly say that Mr. Maybroda is an excellent teacher and leader. Good effort is encouraged from all students and the instructors do a great job of keeping everyone on task and focused. Possibly the best part of the atmosphere is that cross-training is heavily encouraged.

Striking Instruction
    This topic is a mixed bag at KMAI. One day you may come in and legit boxing is being taught
    while the next day they could be stressing how important it is for kicks to "look good for forms competition." The kicking instruction is very TKDesque, and an unwarranted amount of time is devoted to increasingly complex and showy kicks. Hand techniques are a mix between run of the mill karate strikes and boxing. Striking is intructed from static stances and no instruction on proper head movement is given. Generally, the strikes in forms are crisp and aesthetic, but sparring, especially with younger students, is a formless slap-fest.

Grappling Instruction
    Hearty doses of "grab my wrist and then fall over." A basic over-the-shoulder throw is taught occasionally, but never executed. Don't ask me why not. For a month a while back (possibly in 2004) there was a "groundfighting program" which ended up being a lot of buttscooting and rather stupid scissors-kicking from the back. The concept of
    takedown-->mount-->GNP simply does not cross the minds of the majority of students.

Weapons Instruction
    Heavy focus on forms with bokken. Higher Dans learn kama and dan gum(knife) forms. Passing attention given to stickfighting. Gun disarms are taught but I have little basis to judge their effectiveness beyond "eh...probably not." However, Maybroda does stress the extreme danger inherent in a gun disarm.

Overall, a great place for kids and anyone who wants cardio, but not the place to fight. My overall low ratings are due to the fact that while cardio and kid's karate are ok, they should be exceptions within a school, rather than the rule.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3b.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	8001  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2b.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	8002  

Attached Images    

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 11:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tang soo do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is George Maybroda, just stumbled across this post. I don't hide behind a user name when i have something to say. My school was never labeled a full contact school. I teach traditional Martial Arts to everyone. Everyone!!!! Can all my students fight in a cage. No. Are all my students super stars? no. Most of the people wasting there time on this site can't fight in a cage and have probably never had to defend themselves in the first place. Who ever you are "the usual suspect" you are simply not qualified to judge me or my school. Keep training, but train your attitude first. Apparently i have failed you in that reguard.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    6/12/2008 12:16pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theusualsuspect
    My overall low ratings are due to the fact that while cardio and kid's karate are ok, they should be exceptions within a school, rather than the rule.
    I think you forgot to check the "Submit the above ratings" box; no ratings have been posted.

Quote Originally Posted by hwa rang
    This is George Maybroda, just stumbled across this post.
    You seem very offended, even though you were called "an excellent teacher and leader" and applauded that "the instructors do a great job of keeping everyone on task and focused". If you feel that the review is unfair, please do feel free to post your own review in this thread. The guidelines for ratings are posted here; they're pretty objective, so you don't need to be afraid that your personal bias will skew the review too much. (Of course it's commendable that you admit up front who you are; most instructors who fly onto this site in defensive anger tend to claim to be students defending great masters...)