Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 9:35pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bodog shows on ION are pretty weak. At least the WEC on Versus gives you plenty of skilled MMA guys, and their lower-weight divisions are non-stop action. With Bodog, you only get about 2 fights per show, and there are 3 one-dimensional and/or out-of-shape guys for every 1 skilled MMA fighter.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    6/28/2007 10:51pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    word. Tapout, and the fucking show is the worst of the worst. What the **** is that with the make up in the face and ****?

I do see where Natan's coming from. The third tv spot (the "I fucking hate you" commercial) is just fucking retarded. It's no different from that stupid IFL "guy on stretchers" bomb. Those commercials make my eyes bleed.

The way I see it is like this.

[politically incorrect pimp mode]
    The UFC is the most visible face MMA has in US TV. Almost everybody knows what UFC is, very few know what PRIDE, IFL or WEC are. So this is the chick you take to momma's home. The discrete make up, skirt covering the knees and ****. Ah, lovely.

WEC is the kitty freak, the booty call, skanky make-up, the one you like with the mini skirt that almost gives a money shot, and the inches-tall stripper heels that end up pointing to the ceiling.

In essence, it's double standard ****. One mask is used to give legitimacy to the sport; the other is used to appeal to the dumbfucks who assert their hard-coreness by watching bloody slugfests.

Marketing execs and Dana White himself will use these masks according to the situation.
    [/politically incorrect pimp mode]

So Pride was a hooker. I mean a really classy one though that meets you in a nice bar and you think she just wants you for you until it costs you a G. Right? :(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2008 11:43pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AHAHA! Sorry, I just had to necro this after seeing tonight's WEC event and all their lovely new TV spots. Not only have they not swayed their "edgy" marketing, but they have gotten even more hilarious.

TV Spot 1: A montage of close up video clips of the WEC's more tough-looking fighters before and after their respective fights. IE starts out with angry looking MMA fighter gritting his teeth pre-fight, then jumps to same angery-looking teeth-baring fighter post fight, his face covered with cuts, eyes swollen, bruises and dried blood all over, repeat with about a half dozen pissed-off looking dudes. There is no audio, simply the following text at the end: "The only thing that hurts is losing."

TV Spot 2: A drawn out super-slow motion shot of a bloody MMA fighter being lifted off the ground by another fighter. In mid-air, blood drips off his body while he is in the air and the camera focuses on the blood dropplets as they fall and splat all over the canvas. Right as the dude is getting slammed on his head into the blood, the following text comes up to conclude the commercial: "Nothing is more extreme!"

TV Spot 3: This is actually directed at the UFC 82 tv spot that they showed, but is hilarious in it's own right. It's the typical UFC 82 trailer that we've all seen a zillion times: Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva, Jon Fitch, Keith Jardine....Wait, Jardine?! WTF?! They actually showed Keith Jardine kicking Liddell and announced him as fighting at the next PPV by name. Apparently, there was a mixup and they actually meant to say Heath Herring. Even funnier is the fact that they re-edited and corrected this spot a week or more ago, yet the old spot still aired at least five times tonight during the event. How the UFC can not even know who's fighting on their latest card is and then screw up their television spots even after the fact is beyond me.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 7:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the way Zuffa is marketing the WEC as more 'extreme' and 'underground' is a deliberate attempt to play both sides of the fence. They can push the UFC as legit sport while still catching the 15-year-old thug-life wannabe crowd with the WEC.

This isn't to bash the quality of the actual WEC shows product, at all, which I really enjoy.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I actually enjoy WEC more than UFC since it always have cards full of lightweights (which tend to give a much faster-pace display of skills.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WEC is marketing to the average MMA fan. I'm starting to realize that there is a disconnect on Bullshido about what full contact fighting is and represents.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kismasher
    WEC is marketing to the average MMA fan.
    What constitutes an average MMA fan? I ask in earnest.

I for one don't like WEC's marketing, but I do see the marketing reasons for doing so. I do not believe this is targeted precisely to the average MMA fan (even if that happens to take place), but to target individuals that want to see extreme hardcore ****, and thus expand WEC's customer base.

It is my opinion that although we still have the beer-belly Hooters fan who still prefers to see a slugfest (who doesn't), the average MMA fan is being educated more and more about MMA as a whole. The average MMA fan today is not the same as the one four years ago.

We are moving towards a situation where people are not only discerning but appreciating the difference between a technical MMA fight (however brutal it is) and a 'tuffman slugfest - nothing wrong with the later, but they are completely different beasts.

WEC marketing is to attract those who still want to see the entertainment, the freakshow, rather than the actual combat sport (either they want to see it or can't tell the difference.)

Think "Never Back Down" :tard:

Quote Originally Posted by kishmasher
    I'm starting to realize that there is a disconnect on Bullshido about what full contact fighting is and represents.
    Elaborate.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    What constitutes an average MMA fan? I ask in earnest.

I for one don't like WEC's marketing, but I do see the marketing reasons for doing so. I do not believe this is targeted precisely to the average MMA fan (even if that happens to take place), but to target individuals that want to see extreme hardcore ****, and thus expand WEC's customer base.

It is my opinion that although we still have the beer-belly Hooters fan who still prefers to see a slugfest (who doesn't), the average MMA fan is being educated more and more about MMA as a whole. The average MMA fan today is not the same as the one four years ago.

We are moving towards a situation where people are not only discerning but appreciating the difference between a technical MMA fight (however brutal it is) and a 'tuffman slugfest - nothing wrong with the later, but they are completely different beasts.

WEC marketing is to attract those who still want to see the entertainment, the freakshow, rather than the actual combat sport (either they want to see it or can't tell the difference.)

Think "Never Back Down" :tard:
    An average MMA fan is, to me, someone that wants to see a "fight", probably identifies with a particular fighter or two, and probably has a rudimentary understanding of MMA terms and vocabulary, ie, knows what a rear-naked choke is. These people are attracted to the spectacle of the promotion, so, promoting the more violent or extreme aspects of the show makes sense for the promoters wanting to attract more people to the spectacle. Also, the smaller shows have to differentiate somewhat from UFC if they want to grow.

I suppose that compared to the average MMA fan of 4 years ago there is a difference if you're talking about the overall sample. However, today's average UFC fan base is much more diverse but the fan of the hardcore fight is still the base.

And UFC definitely promotes "extreme" violence, it's just packaged a whole lot slicker. How many times did I see the highlight of Frank Mir snapping Tim Sylvia's arm in the leadup to Mir vs. Lesnar?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Elaborate.
    Maybe it's just me. I've read posts on here the last couple of days from people bemoaning the use of violence in promotional devices for smaller MMA shows. "OMG, THEY'RE GOING TO BE THE DOWNFALL OF MMA!!!!1"

Perhaps that would be a problem, except, that the activities/instances in the promotions are often actual footage taken from prior fights. Is it right to promote based the whole show based on the most violent aspects? Maybe, mabye not. But it does help put butts in the seats and to pretend that MMA is not violent, bloody, and sometimes extreme is disingenous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 12:20pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont really get the marketing either. They advertise it like its pro wrestling, and dont treat it like a real sport like NFL, or NBA, NHL, MLB, instead we have this almost sideshow abomination in late night time slots. Great fighters, bad bad marketing. A different company needs to pick up WEC, VS. sucks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2008 5:58pm

Style: no gi grappling/sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could it be that Versus is the "redneck channel" ? Fishing, rodeo, deer hunting, and guys beating the **** out of each other and not being apologetic about it. What else does the redneck fan need? WEC's advertising is just trying to appeal to it's demographic. Maybe Zuffa designs UFC's advertising to appeal to a more sophisticated crowd.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast